PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you/will you spend in your first home?

Having recently bought my first home I find there's an interesting split between people who buy cheap to move on within a few months/years and those that aim high to get the place they want right from the start.

How long did you spend in your first property? Has anyone moved on to their second and regretted leaving the first? I'd be interested to hear everyone's stories.

Comments

• Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 12:27PM
    Exactly 5 years in my first house, bought what we could afford. Moved to a much bigger house in a better area because we could afford it. That was in the 80s
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Never even moved in! Rented it out for two years, doubled my money and then invested on the south coast- been here now for 13 years.
  • I lived in my flat for about 3 years- only moved out (rented the flat out) as my husband is in the army and it made sense to have an army rented house over a flat. I loved my flat and it was purely the financial sense it made moving which made me do it - I loved that flat! It was perfect for me and I still rent it out.

We have just moved into our first owned-together home but due to always moving every 2 years - I'll feel lucky if I live here for 2 years before moving and renting it out!! I cannot relax and think we will be here longer than that. Should find out next year though.
  • Never even moved in! Rented it out for two years, doubled my money and then invested on the south coast- been here now for 13 years.

Where did you live while renting it out?
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    19 years and still here. I wanted to by my forever house and as I knew I would not be having children I only had to think about my and my partner's needs.
  • tiger_eyes
    tiger_eyes Posts: 1,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    I've been in my flat a bit more than a year. My plan is to stay until I can afford a house.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I purchased a 2 bed flat in August 2010 and sold it in February this year, so was there 5 and a half years

Moved to a 3 bed house

Looking to live here about 5-8 years and move again
    Probably still a 3 bed but I want a detached and a en-suite bathroom eventually
    Then Im done with moving
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

Probably still a 3 bed but I want a detached and a en-suite bathroom eventually

Yes those were my essentials too. An ensuite becomes important as you get older.
  • Bought 3 bed semi 5 years ago, sold this summer for 40k more. Now moving to a 4 bed detached with an 85% mortgage. We never planned on selling up after 5 years, but with the equity we built up we thought the time was right.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,296 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    Yes those were my essentials too. An ensuite becomes important as you get older.

In my house its me, partner and 2 year old son

Me and partner both jostle for the bathroom in the morning to get ready for work now, so when our son is a teenager/adult it'll be 3 people fighting for one bathroom :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure