Ppi wasn't handled correctly

Hello,

I had asked a ppi reclaims company to help me obtain any ppi outstanding to me... after many months of me chasing my case with them and no answer I decided to write to the bank directly and apply for ppi owed to me. I filled out all the necessary paperwork and within a few weeks received my owings.
When the ppi company found out I had been paid they asked for their share of the cost... even though I ended up doing the work.
I have not paid them because of this however they are harassing me for payment and charging interest.... this has been continuing since around 2013-2014.
I have told them to take me to court however after a few months they just call me again.
Where do I stand with this?

Thank you

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    SnofieSno wrote: »
    I have told them to take me to court however after a few months they just call me again.
    Where do I stand with this?
    Basically, you have an outstanding unpaid debt. You signed away your entitlement to complain alone when you agreed that they legally represent you in PPI complaints. This was a legally binding contract which you broke the terms of.

I'm actually very surprised this has gone on for so long. Normally the CMC would have already set debt collectors on you long before now. Ultimately, you risk ending up in court with a trashed credit record and a CCJ.
  • I understand your points- but they didn't complete what I had asked them to do.
    I have sent them letters proving this (from the bank) maybe this is why they have waited so long?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    but they didn't complete what I had asked them to do
    The proper procedure is that you cancel the contract (without penalty) and are then free to complain yourself.

You didn't do this and no amount of "evidence" from a third party (the bank) will absolve you from this.

Remember , you have a legally binding contract. It's not something you can just unilaterally declare void.
  • I see. I think I did make phone calls at the time to cancel the contract- but did not formally send them a cancellation letter... by what I remember.

How long can they wait before they take me to court?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    How long can they wait before they take me to court?
    Six years is the limitation. However, I expect it to be passed to a debt collection agency prior to that stage.They won't leave it months between calls demanding the money...
  • Thank you for replying. I haven't been in any situations like this before. So it may not even come to court? Debt collection can take over and collect a debt ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 11:50PM
    Thank you for replying. I haven't been in any situations like this before. So it may not even come to court? Debt collection can take over and collect a debt ?
    If the debt is "sold" to a debt collection agency and you continue refusing to pay then of course you can still end up in court. However, it won't head straight to court without months of endless phone calls and knocks at the door.

Is it really worth holding out against? You agreed to pay a proportion of any PPI redress. Regardless of their alleged tardiness, the Claims Company have done nothing wrong and their defence would likely be that they had already started the complaint process when you wrote direct to the Bank.

I'm no fan of Claims Companies, but in this instance they would appear to have a legitimate case. You are totally at fault for not adhering to the cancellation procedure...
  • I really wish this hadn't happened. The amount they are asking is very high now I would imagine as they have been charging interest.... over 4 years I should imagine it will be a hefty amount
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 12:11AM
    The amount they are asking is very high now I would imagine as they have been charging interest.... over 4 years I should imagine it will be a hefty amount
    Why don't you already know the exact amount?

Have you considered offering them the original fee to make them go away?

You could also make a formal complaint to them that they failed to stick to their side of the contract and that's it's unfair for them to be adding interest to the debt. If this results in a deadlock you can then refer your complaint to the Legal Ombudsman who can mediate a fair conclusion to the matter.

Read here;
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5253955
  • The last letter I had was something like X amount plus 8% per day it's is unpaid.
    I thought to be honest they were just trying to scam/bully me.
    Worst case I guess is I would pay the original amount but I could defiantly not afford the crazy interest rates
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure