Made open a business account when I wanted a current account

Prior to opening an account with Ulster Bank, I had an account with another bank closed unexpectedly. When I approached Ulster Bank about opening a current account with them they said I didn't have a good enough credit score but that if I wanted an account that I would have to open a business account. Feeling that I had little choice I agreed even though it would never be used as business account in any way and the advisor was fully aware of this. I had no cheque book or over draft available to me at any time. The account was used as a normal 'current' account having wages paid into it except that the business account I was using as an ordinary current account came with business account fees for all my transactions paid every quarter. Can anyone advise me on whether I would be entitled to these fees back as surely this was unethical advice and also whether the advisor would have received any financial gains for advising that I open this particular account? Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Made open a business account when I wanted a current account

Perhaps a bit of confusion here. Current accounts are available to business and personal customers. So, a business current account is a current account.
    When I approached Ulster Bank about opening a current account with them they said I didn't have a good enough credit score but that if I wanted an account that I would have to open a business account.

Unless you operate a business as self employed or as a company director, then that is wrong and certainly a valid reason for complaint.
    Can anyone advise me on whether I would be entitled to these fees back as surely this was unethical advice and also whether the advisor would have received any financial gains for advising that I open this particular account?

It doesnt matter if the bank clerk (wouldt be an adviser) gained from it or not. That is between the bank and the staff member. Nothing to do with you. Although its unlikely as most staff did not get direct financial benefits that way. Just complain that you did not operate a business and being told to open a business account to get around the credit scoring and then making you pay charges was wrong. Should be an easy one for them to uphold and refund.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you for your reply it's been very helpful. Yes current accounts may be made available for business account users but I have to pay for this account. With a standard current account I would have paid no fees unless it was bank charges for late payments etc. Would this be right? And thanks again I ever so grateful
  • It was also the bank Manager who advised me!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I had an account with another bank closed unexpectedly.
    Why would that have been?
  • I kept missing my repayments for a car the money was always in late I kept getting charged but the bank was always paid. They closed my account in April 2004 I opened the other account in May 2004. Hope this helps you answer my question!
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,910
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It was also the bank Manager who advised me!

Banks throw titles around willy nilly. Kids out of school could be called manager of something. However, you dont need to worry about any of that. You were sold a business account without being a business or self employed. A simple two sentence complaint letter will do the trick. Or bullet point the key facts of the complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks again for your advise it really helped me.
  • Can anyone tell me why I would have been made open a business account or has anyone else ever heard tell of this? This was back in 2004.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can anyone tell me why I would have been made open a business account or has anyone else ever heard tell of this? This was back in 2004.

It doesn't matter

Just complain and point out you needed a current account and were given a business account
  • safestored4
    safestored4 Posts: 464 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 10:00PM
    You haven't given any information whatsoever about your employment status at the time the account was opened. For all that we know you may well have been self employed and the bank manager invited you to open a business account after discussing your requirements with you. This is just conjecture of course, but it seems a bit odd that it has taken you 13 years to raise the issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure