Round and round the overdraft....soon to be no more

Comments

• Ah Louby, that sucks!

These things are sent to test us and you'll find a way. Hope it's not as costly as you fear.
  • louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Plumber just left! I now have holes in my living room wall (leak 1) and holes in my kitchen ceiling (leak 2) directly above my boiler.

Water has poured through my boiler. It needs to dry out before we will know if it works or not.

My pump may not work. My boiler may not work. Worst case scenario is that I'll need a new boiler £1200 plus repairs to walls/ceilings.

Luckily we're in London tomorrow until Sunday so it will have chance to dry out. Plumber is coming back on Monday to attempt to get it all working. He thinks the bloke who changed the circuit board got the system going without starting the pump which means pressure built up and - pop! He charged me £325 for nothing!
  • louby40
    Hoping that my boiler dries out over the weekend - fingers crossed it works on Monday!

We are off to London today for the weekend, going to see a play at The Globe tonight, Science Museum and Madame Tussaud's tomorrow then Matildat tomorrow evening.

We're taking my youngest son and my OH daughter who are both 13! Really excited, we love London and go 3/4 times a year. And the weather is going to be fab too!

So shall enjoy my weekend and forget about my boiler problems till Sunday. Hoping to keep within my budget. I've got 5 NSD so far!

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
  • louby40
    Hello diary

Well what a fab weekend! Really enjoyed it. Went over budget by £40. So by mid week after food shopping/petrol I will be going into my overdraft. Ahh well can't be helped. If I hadn't had an emergency fund it would be much worse.

Hoping my boiler works tomorrow, if it doesn't I need to think long and hard what my plan is.
  • I hope it will be ok and you are ok. I think your diary is really helpful. Its so horrible when these things happen.
    I always mean to buy the matilda soundtrack. Such a good play. xx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • louby40
    Ahh thanks PSL

Well today my boiler problems were fixed. My plumber came out and checked it all and it seems the pump was the actual problem. Cost me a further £260.

I then contacted the original guy who caused all of this (and charged me £325) and told him what had happened, sent photos to show the damage done to my walls and ceilings. I asked for my money back.

4 hours later he turned up and refunded me the whole amount. I was very surprised but so pleased.

I will still be out of pocket as I have to pay a plasterer to put my ceiling right. The only positives I can get from this is that I will be able to have my kitchen ceiling skimmed to get rid of the awful artex.

I've spent £3.68 in the co-op so a small spend day.
  • You did well getting the money back. Well done. I have one of my grotty astek or whatever its called ceilings skimmed in my kitchen and it looks fantastic. They put spotlights in. I know its expensive but honestly when that is updated it will look amazing. Hope you sleep well with that issue getting almost sorted. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • louby40
    Yes I won't dip into my overdraft now so that's good and can pay the plumber in September. I'm feeling so relieved.
  • louby40
    Good morning

Didn't wake up until 8.30am. It's the Olympics fault, staying up to watch.

It's a beautiful day here in Staffordshire so I need to wash some bedding to make use of it and dry outside.

Need to go to the gym or go out for a BIG walk. School hols are good but I get totally out of routine and I've put half a stone on.

I also need to do some school stuff, I did a bit yesterday but because I'm teaching a new year group I have to think it through a bit more.

Today should be a NSD!
  • Hi Louby

Just been reading through your diary. Sorry to hear about your boiler / leak problems hope it all gets sorted soon. I'm thinking of signing up to the YNAB do you pay monthly or yearly? Is it worth the extra payment? Interested in doing it but don't want it to be a bit of a novelty that I get bored of then end up with an extra monthly payment even if only small.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure