Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 April 2011 at 6:12PM
    Smamfer wrote: »
    I have a reward account with Halifax which i have constantly been in the overdraft for a while, I make regular payments but their charges are the ones like for many of us are putting me back up. I had a lot of problems with this last year where they were removing money from one account to clear it leaving me short, then id be on phone for hours and writing letters asking them to not just do that as it was causing financial difficulty etc etc. I did pay the £10 for all my details on this account.
    Eventhough i have not started anything with this am i entitled to at least add up what charges i have incurred and see if i can reclaim? My main point for this and any other financial difficulty is that when i was out of my main work or on a low income i was visiting my bank regulaly explaining my situation and felt nothing was there to help me at all, they never asked if i had a loan, a credit card nothing just kept charging me.

Of course you can add up your charges. Make sure you are sitting down when you do this ;)

And of course you can ask for a refund.

Equally the bank can deny the request. What you should have ideally done was, immediately following an unsuccessful call/visit to the bank, put your complaint in writing. Also in that complaint you should have asked for consideration as to how to better manage the lending you had. Banks offer a wide variety of lending and overdrafts are not suited to long term borrowing that you ended up using it for ... and hence why I suggest you sit down if you decide to add up the fees you've incurred.

I suggest you take a look at the MSE article if not already done so. In there it suggests you don't bank on receiving any refund.

As you are struggling to repay your debts, could I suggest you post on the DFW board?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Meow7
    Meow7 Posts: 536 Forumite
    I'm a 21 year old student and I'm currently living on £25 per week, paid from my Dads account into mine on a Friday.

For the past 2 weeks I have twice had a £25 charge on my account because something went out before my money went in. I don't have any overdraft on this account, it is a Yorkshire Bank account with just a debit card and no overdraft facility at all.

The first time a charity payment of £3 went out on the Thursday before my money went in. They charged me £25. And this Thursday I can see a payment somewhere of £1.59 and they charged me £25 for that also.

I know it is only £50 but it's literally all I have, I'm having to borrow money from everywhere just to live at the moment. Is there any way I could get them to give me it back?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Beth
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Meow7 wrote: »
    I'm a 21 year old student and I'm currently living on £25 per week, paid from my Dads account into mine on a Friday.

For the past 2 weeks I have twice had a £25 charge on my account because something went out before my money went in. I don't have any overdraft on this account, it is a Yorkshire Bank account with just a debit card and no overdraft facility at all.

The first time a charity payment of £3 went out on the Thursday before my money went in. They charged me £25. And this Thursday I can see a payment somewhere of £1.59 and they charged me £25 for that also.

I know it is only £50 but it's literally all I have, I'm having to borrow money from everywhere just to live at the moment. Is there any way I could get them to give me it back?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Beth

Have you read the article???

As it says, if this was the first time this occurred then you could try asking nicely - they may vredit one charge back.

Other than that you are probably stuck as financial hardship is based on household income, not an individuals.

Cancel all your outgoing payments and pay for things as you need them.
    If your only income is £25 can you really afford to be giving £3 to charity??? If you really want your dad to give £3 to charity, it would be best for him to give it directly and that way the charity could get much more if he agrees to gift aid it too :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • *Kat*
    *Kat* Posts: 1,827
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm so confused, is there any point in writing to RBS or not? I guesstimate around £200 in the past 6 years in those damned £30 OD charges...Thoughts? I went overdrawn one time and used my card for like £2 stuff and got charged £30 for being OD each time...
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There's no harm is writing to them - it's only the cost of a stamp and there have been odd occasions where the banks have refunded when asked. However I wouldn't suggest getting your hopes up too much as if they say no then there's not really anything you can do about it now, there's been no success via the court route since the ruling and the FOS are only looking at financial hardship claims.
  • I had a case open for my bank charges and the case was set aside ...I have just had a court date set.....

What should I do?

If I go and lose will I be laiabiel for Halifax court costs?

If I go is there a chance I may win?

Any advice would be great...help please

Has anyone else had this ?
  • podperson
    podperson Posts: 3,125
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There seems to be a few of these coming through at the moment. Basically the argument you originally put in with the claim is now invalid since the court ruling - if you look at the reclaiming guide it has been updated with a new argument since then but as far as I know there hasn't been any success with this yet.
    If you are in small claims court then it is unlikely you will be asked to pay for the other sides costs - but not impossible, it's down to the judge's discretion but they will normally only award costs if they feel the case is frivolous or malicious.
  • Thanks for that so should I use the new letter as my defence?

Has anyone else done this with any success?
  • davie213
    davie213 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Hi Folks,
    i have question on charges is this fair or should i try claim back these charges Bank Of Scotland let me have 4500 overdraft to use which i do , but now there charges for using is 62 pounds a month so as been using for over 2 years due to family problems come to 1488 ,so my question is can i claim this back surely this is not fair ,Tha nks for any info
  • Premier_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sirmark wrote: »
    Thanks for that so should I use the new letter as my defence?

Has anyone else done this with any success?

:huh:

Are you not the person making the claim? If so, the bank will be the side putting the defence.

If you wish to pursue the matter (throwing good money after bad, imo) then follow the MSE guide to reclaiming bank charges via the court.

You will have to spend £75 (or thereabouts) to revise your claim, else you stand no chance. Even with a revised PoC, your chances are almost non-existent since no one here has yet reported any success in court since the Supreme Court ruling.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback