Rclaiming Unfair Bank Charges

Hi guys,

I know that the rules have changed slightly. But do you think it is worth trying to pursue reclaiming some unfair bank charges? I have been looking at my bank statements for other reasons and have seen that I actually paid out quite a lot of money each money in charges, for unpaid DDs sometimes £25.00 each etc.

Can you let me know if these are no longer looked at, or whether it's definitely worth submitting a claim anyway.

Are there still companies that do this for you, for a percentage, or possible to be successful by doing this yourself?

Thank you!

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If you are in current financial hardship (cycle of charges causing charges) and aren't spending money on stuff like eating out and high end clothing brands, plus sky TV etc then speak to the bank who may be able to help e.g. a refund of recent charges, freeze of future ones etc. If you have simply spent lots of money you can't afford they won't.

Historical charges are not refundable

Do not mention "unfair" when speaking to them or they will simply refer to the 2009 court case and reject you

Do not use a company and I'd be surprised if any took on these sort of cases as any refund will be minimal and not guaranteed
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I know that the rules have changed slightly.

There are no rules. Since the banks won the court case in 2009, they no longer consider complaints about unfair bank charges. Nor do the FOS.
    But do you think it is worth trying to pursue reclaiming some unfair bank charges?

No.
    Are there still companies that do this for you, for a percentage, or possible to be successful by doing this yourself?

They stopped because it ended.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure