Yorkshire Bank Packaged Account - refused because registered for one of services

I have been with YB for 30 years and when I separated from my ex wife in 2008 I set up a new account but was told I had to have a packaged account in order to have an allowed overdraft. They duly took £12 from me each month and they sent me all the paperwork proudly showing what I could have for my £12. I don't recall but apparently I registered for the car breakdown recovery service of the several services included but I did not register for anything else. I have not, in all my time with this packaged account, used even one of these services, including the one I have 'registered' for.

I tried the Resolver route about a year ago but got a response from YB to say that because I had registered for one of these services I was not entitled to reclaim anything back. A year on, and thinking about it again, I thought I would ask the question in this forum of whether I should just accept their response or if I have a case against them. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Yorkshire Bank?

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They duly took £12 from me each month and they sent me all the paperwork proudly showing what I could have for my £12.

That confirms they did the set up stage correctly.
    I don't recall but apparently I registered for the car breakdown recovery service of the several services included but I did not register for anything else.

Their records trump your memory recollection.
    I have not, in all my time with this packaged account, used even one of these services, including the one I have 'registered' for.

you did use the service. The one you registered for is considered use. Actually claiming on the service is not required.
    I tried the Resolver route about a year ago but got a response from YB to say that because I had registered for one of these services I was not entitled to reclaim anything back.

Nothing you have said suggests any wrongdoing and there is nothing wrong with packaged accounts. Some were sold wrongly but its difficult to prove that. Typically, people who register nothing or are not eligible to use most of the services are the ones that get refunded.
    A year on, and thinking about it again, I thought I would ask the question in this forum of whether I should just accept their response or if I have a case against them. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Yorkshire Bank?

You complained. You got your response. You had 6 months to appeal it. 12 months on you are now barred from access to the FOS and you cant raise another complaint against them as they will just refer you to their original decision.

This is over.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure