Thinking about claiming back PPI

Hi everyone, I'm thinking about claiming back PPI but it all seems so very complicated. I'd be claiming for PPI from the 80's,90's and 00's. I don't have any bank account, loan or credit card numbers from then apart from vague memories of who I had accounts with. Also I was married then with joint bank accounts. I'm not in touch with the ex as we have been divorced for many years. Any chance of this succeeding and any ideas of how to go about it would be very gratefully received?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Any chance of this succeeding

You havent said what your complaint reasons would be. So, we cant offer odds on your success rate.

Putting your reasons aside, you do have other issues. Joint PPI that succeed on divorce/separated cases would see the redress split 50/50. Or in the case of credit cards, paid fully to the account holder (not the additional cardholder)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I was married then with joint bank accounts. I'm not in touch with the ex as we have been divorced for many years.
    Any complaint would have to be in conjunction with your ex-partner. If you were not the main account holder, all the redress might still even go to your ex.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,401
    Forumite
    You can either phone, but they probably won' find you as it's so long ago.
    The other way is to send a SAR and £10 to each company, but again, it was so long ago there may not records, so it's your money and your choice.

Don't use a CMC< they will be able to find nothing you don't tell them about.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    -taff wrote: »
    You can either phone, but they probably won' find you as it's so long ago.
    The other way is to send a SAR and £10 to each company, but again, it was so long ago there may not records, so it's your money and your choice.

Don't use a CMC< they will be able to find nothing you don't tell them about.

Moreover a CMC will deduct the fees from the full refund even if it's split 50/50 meaning the person complaining will get a small amount as the ex partner has no contract with them and no liability for it.

e.g. £10,000 refund

CMC takes 40% cut = £4000

Ex gets £5000

OP gets £5000 - £4000 fee = £1000

The CMC will not split the fee 50/50 unless the ex agrees (and why would they?)
  • Hi,
    I have found a commercial union Mortgage protection policy which was taken out in 1993.
    Believe this to have been missold to me and was not advised fully. After speaking to an financial adviser in 2007 i cancelled. My mortgage had come to full term years before.
    I have policy numbers, does anyone think I have a case ?
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Dimary600 wrote: »
    I have found a commercial union Mortgage protection policy which was taken out in 1993.
    Believe this to have been missold to me and was not advised fully. After speaking to an financial adviser in 2007 i cancelled. My mortgage had come to full term years before.
    I have policy numbers, does anyone think I have a case ?
    Thanks
    As already mentioned in reply to your other post, Life Assurance is not PPI.

Regardless, cancelling the policy in 2007 will now mean any complaint about it would be time-barred. (6 year rule)
  • Would there also be a time limit on another life insurance policy taken out in 1986 with my mortgage, to claim this back, all policy numbers available?
    Thanks
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Would there also be a time limit on another life insurance policy taken out in 1986

I doubt if that life insurance policy is any more likely to be a PPI policy than the other one.
  • [Deleted User]
    Forumite
    Would there also be a time limit on another life insurance policy taken out in 1986 with my mortgage, to claim this back, all policy numbers available?
    Thanks
    You need to understand that it's very difficult to argue Life Insurance was mis-sold.

Not every insurance is PPI and even PPI is not automatically somehow wrong.

Unless you are immortal, I cannot see how you think this insurance was mis-sold to you?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It is quite difficult to be mis-sold life assurance. It is a very simple product with one purpose. To pay out on death. Easy to understand. Covers a specific need (such as repaying the mortgage).

You would have to be immortal or single with no financial dependants for there to be any hint of mis-sale. Some lenders also insisted on it until the late 90s/early 2000s. That is allowed too.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure