PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

To buy or rent a house for the rest of my retirement?

To buy or rent a house for the rest of my retirement?

I’m 69 and still touring in my caravan with £190K in the bank earning very little. State pension only.

Option 1 is a residential home with nice views, friends, security and local train in case I’m unable to drive one day. Only downside is that it’s a very small flat. With my current outgoings my £190K savings may run out in 20 years time. Probably longer if I’m not driving and holidaying so much in 20 years time. Worst case, maybe I could claim some housing or council tax benefits at 89 years of age? The simplest solution with no commitment?

Option 2 is buy a flat (noisy) or something for £120K. Remaining cash from £190K may run out in 12 years time but the property should have increased in value by say 2% pa having deducted buying and selling fees? Not sure if I would be able to keep my house and claim some benefits? This option gives me more space and a small investment? Fairly simple solution?

Option 3 is a modern semi detached bungalow for over 55’s, virtually detached by the garage (quiet), plenty of space and parking. This is 75% shared ownership and I can buy it for £100K. Charges of £1000 pa to cover various costs, insurance and external building maintenance. Lease 125 years from from 2005.
On selling there is a complicated deferred payment system. At the current market value this is £1500 for each year lived there so 20 years is £30K. If they base it on the buy price then £1000 for each year and £20K for 20 years. (needs clarification)
Probably OK if I never intend to sell until they carry me out in a box? I have no dependants. Slightly complicated live now and pay later solution?

Any ideas on which option would be best for me? Thanks

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Do you really want to buy somewhere or are you happy to keep touring? You can make that £190k work a lot harder for you than just having it sitting in a couple of savings accounts whilst you continue touring.
  • whitejohn
    whitejohn Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I'm happy just now and it's very cheap but cannot see any safe way of investing the £190K
  • Lord_Baltimore
    Lord_Baltimore Posts: 1,348 Forumite
    Any kids/dependants who will inherit the result of this decision John?
    Mornië utulië
  • At the moment your capital is probably too high to make you eligible for pension credit. However if you spent it on your main residence then you would be able to make a claim depending on how much state pension you have. Also possible council tax reduction as well. Cab could probably help you with what if predictions. Of course impossible to predict state help for anyone too far into the future. Hope that helps.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Are you currently living in your caravan?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you factored inflation into your sums for the retirement home?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• whitejohn
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Do you really want to buy somewhere or are you happy to keep touring? You can make that £190k work a lot harder for you than just having it sitting in a couple of savings accounts whilst you continue touring.
    Any kids/dependants who will inherit the result of this decision John?

No dependants at all
  • whitejohn
    Are you currently living in your caravan?

yes, have been doing it 3 years. Love it but probably cannot do it forever so planning ahead.
  • whitejohn
    Slinky wrote: »
    Have you factored inflation into your sums for the retirement home?

Not really, tried my best to do a spreadsheet for comparison of the 3 options but not a financial expert
  • whitejohn
    whitejohn wrote: »
    Not really, tried my best to do a spreadsheet for comparison of the 3 options but not a financial expert

It's a not for profit so quite reasonable costs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport