Easy cheap tablet for pensioner new to internet

My neighbour, in her 80s, wants to use a tablet to

-email
-general browsing

Can anyone suggest which one to get, that is not expensive. She has organised herself BT Broadband (which I am currently trying to help her set up) and needs something cheap, easy to read and straightforward to use

Thanks for any suggestions
Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200

Comments

• I_have_spoken
    I_have_spoken Posts: 5,051 Forumite
    edited 16 July 2017 at 6:16PM
    Refurbished iPad Air 2 for about £180 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-iPad-16GB-Wi-Fi-Refurbished/dp/B00O12DMB2.

iOS has excellent support for those with ongoing challenges on eyesight and manual dexterity, plus the design makes it impossible to get confused with multiple window open on the screen.

Buy cheap, buy twice...
  • raiiiraiii
    raiiiraiii Posts: 15 Forumite
    There are many chinese-make tablets which you can purchase off Amazon or Ebay. Most of these Tablets wont be as good as Samsung or Apple but many will be able to support apps like Skype and Google Chrome for general browsing. They're also not as expensive as you think -You could pick up a decent one for £50.

What is your budget?

Here are some suggestions for £50 and under:

Amazon Fire Tablet
    YunTab
    DragonTouch
    YellYouth

And other general non-branded Tablets.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'll second the recommendation for the Lenovo Tab 3 at £89 (you can buy instore at Argos for the same price), if that is considered a cheap enough price for you.
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    I think, since she is new to this and we don't yet know how much she will use it, that the 10.1" Lenovo looks a good bet - thank you all for your helpful input
    Downshifted

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For general browsing I like holding the iPad in one hand and typing with the other like a phone. I use a 10" model occasionally but holding it for too long gets tiring, while my 8" iPad is just fine. Holding it in the shop is very different from holding it continuously, so mind the weight.
  • jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    well... why not just get her a SMART TV instead?

The Skype can be done easily enough over an Android phone. But a wireless touchpad keyboard and a SMART TV and she'll be able to watch her TV and use it as a computer as well.

Tablets aren't really worth the money, regardless of if it's iCrap stuff or Android.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    OP as you are helping pensioner out I suggest you get one with the same OS as you use (assuming you use a tablet yourself) because otherwise you may struggle. At least i did this afternoon fighting with my mothers Android when I'm used to Apple.

Tv as a tablet substitute doesnt work, for example, you cant read in bed, take it to another room, take it with you to a friends house to show some pictures, etc. Terrible idea it's back to the 1970's with a big box stuck Ina corner.
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    She got the Lenovo and is trying to use it each day. It's not easy for her but I think she is growing in confidence. Thanks for your help
    Downshifted

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    She got the Lenovo and is trying to use it each day. It's not easy for her but I think she is growing in confidence. Thanks for your help

Good for her - So many of the older generation are missing out by not being willing to give it a go !!

And as for the other user bashing Amazon, he always does that so take that with a pinch of salt.
    I use amazon regularly and have had no such problems.

Andy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport