Dismissal - Unauthorized Absence.

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Everything after the 9th is your fault.
  • vertigo5000
    vertigo5000 Posts: 12 Forumite
    including from the 21st june to the 6th july?
    I did ask for work but I wasn't offered any.
    How can I be blamed for that absence?
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    including from the 21st june to the 6th july?
    I did ask for work but I wasn't offered any.
    How can I be blamed for that absence?

Your previous shenanigans. You have already demonstrated you're not a reliable employee. Why would any employer want to offer you work after all that has happened? Employers heavily rely on people turning up to work and you couldn't even attend a meeting for the sake of a sick note!

Convince me (and others in this thread) that in the long run, you will be a very productive, dependable and trustworthy employee? After all, this is what you will be trying to do whenever you fill out a job application.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.

• Most employers ask to contact the most recent employment for a reference. If this employer is contacted they will give potentially misleading information on me and that's libel.

Not if you choose the right scummy employer to work for.

Did know of someone home and dry, actually miraculously recovered when they got one of those start next day type of jobs from quite a desirable employer. After half a year of hardly being in work they must have been laughing knowing the employer only would ever confirm start and finish date.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Thanks for the not so nice replies and advice but I'm not in 'de nile'.

yes, I should have been dismissed. Not arguing that.

But, no, I am not to blame for all 35 unauthorized absences.
    This is I'm thinking to appeal.

Most employers ask to contact the most recent employment for a reference. If this employer is contacted they will give potentially misleading information on me and that's libel.

My dismissal was for 35 unauthorized absences.
    But I count only 5 that can be directly attributed to me then again, obviously I'll be bias to myself.

So from the timeline how many absences do you think can be attributed to me and why?
    (This'll be one of my questions when I apply to go on Blind Date.)

...It's like a 'Where's Waldo' for unauthorized absences...

Many kindnesses and thanks.

Armchair law is never purposeful. You will not be suing anyone for libel unless you have at least a spare £10k just to start a case! If you had that sort of money lying around got wouldn't care about the dismissal. And I'm still not convinced that you are an employee- you keep referring to needing to be offered work to be able to return. Employees are not offered work, they just go back to work.

Assuming that this is not trolling, then I don't agree with you. For a start off, appealing is pointless because you can't claim unfair dismissal. They don't want you back, they won't take you back, and they don't believe you either. Unsurprisingly. You self-certified for a week, which basically means that they have to take your word for it that you are sick (and they obviously don't believe that). The reason that this sounds most unlikely is that, apparently, your GP and the whole of the rest of the NHS was on holiday and you didn't provide a fit note. A fundamental principle of being off sick is providing a fit note! And to add to the oddity of this, you were so sick that you needed weeks off work but didn't need to go to the doctor, because if you had you'd have had that elusive fit note! And a back dated sick note looks highly suspicious.

Then you tell them to drop everything because you'll be back at work tomorrow if they can just arrange their business around your sudden availability. They must have been so grateful! They tell you when to return to work and you fail to confirm the arrangements with them. They then arrange a meeting with you, and you purposefully don't turn up because the only time that you can collect a fit note (bearing in mind that you have said that you have been fully fit for the last two weeks, so why you needed one on the first place is beyond me) is at exactly the same time as the meeting you have arranged with them and confirmed you will attend. And you give them no warning that you won't attend but drop them a line the next day!

Seriously? The whole thing is unbelievable. So it isn't surprising that the employer struggled to believe it too. If you want to waste your time appealing, go for it. But it is a waste of your time. And as for suing them for libel, forget it. You can't afford it and even if you could, I'm not convinced a court would believe this either!
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Why do you want to appeal something that will make no difference to the outcome?

Your excuse that you couldn't come to the meeting because you had a doc appointment without warning them is enough alone to show that you are getting your priorities wrong. Surely you could have asked to another date/time than what was the worse possible to go during all that time.

It sounds as if you felt that you should be the one holding the strings and your employers to go along with what you dictated. That's probably why they want to dismiss you, whatever the reasons.
  • vertigo5000
    Thanks for the replies. I wanted a view to the situation from someone else's eyes. No, I'm not trolling.

Back dated sick notes are suspicious? So me, my GP and my surgeon (a professor) are liars?

Yes, I have a 40 hour written, signed contract. The management said I would not be allowed to return without a fit for work note. I called 'fit for work' the government organisation and they said I do not need one.

Anyway, considering all plagues and famines are my fault..

From 1st June to 6th July I took pictures of the rotas at work and management had put me through as SSP right up to the dismissal.

So why did they do that then?
  • vertigo5000
    Here is the link that they gave when I called and told them that the management wasn't allowing me back to work without a 'fit note'.

Page 9:
    "Does my employee need a fit note saying
    they are fit for work?
    No. People do not need to be signed back to work
    and there is no option on the fit note to do so. If
    your employee’s doctor assesses that they are fit
    for work, they will not be issued with a fit note."

w w w. gov. uk/ government/ publications/ fit-note-guidance-for-employers-and-line-managers

I had to put spaces coz it wont let me post with links as a new user.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    The precis is that you made a couple of serious mistakes and have been sacked.

No, it's not worth an appeal.
  • vertigo5000
    I fully admit that I did make some serious f-ups.
    But I'm not sure the management are the angels they're painting.

So, my contracts exact wording is:
    "No payment is made during unauthorized absences."

For the entire period from beginning to dismissal: I was paid SSP.

So if my contracts wording is that unauthorized absences will receive no payment, then surely paying me automatically disqualifies it as unauthorized absence?

Yeah I know, I'm nit picking but this is capitalism, there's no such thing as fair play.

Thanks for all the replies. Have a lovely Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure