New Credit Card application using old electoral details.

Hi all.

Sorry if this has been discussed I couldn't find anything. I've just recently moved into a new build property and the address isn't yet fully registered on all companies/websites. Not only that i won't be on the electoral register for another 6 weeks. Bad timing as my 0% credit card is up in 2 weeks and need to be able to get furniture etc. I know if I search and apply using my new address I'll likely be refused as I won't be on the electoral register, but what if I used my parents address who I lived with beforehand before I moved out a Few weeks back? Using the pre approval tools and my mum and dads address I'm pre approved on most cards, but when I go to do a full application will they know what I'm up to?

Thanks!

Daniel

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 19 June 2017 at 11:33AM
    Yes most probably.

They have acess to many databases not just the electrical register.

If you changed address on your bank account to your new one, that will be out in the credit universe as that is part of your credit history.

Just to prove it. I once got asked for my driving licence number by my bank whilst enquiring a transaction on the service phone line to comfirm who I was.

I was not asked or gave that information on the original application form so it came from somewhere else.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If its pre approved they dont do another check
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    If its pre approved they dont do another check

That's not true.

From MSE eligibility calc FAQ:
    It’s worth noting that pre-approval is not a cast-iron guarantee that you’ll get the card. In exceptional circumstances you could be declined for other reasons – the bank still has to carry out some checks for identity and fraud purposes, and there’s a very small chance some will fail on these.

Some recent examples:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5397670
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5387649
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure