PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax

Options
Feeling confused. I have lived in terraced houses much larger than my flat that have been council tax band A. So how is my tiny flat, and all the neighbours flats band B?!
It doesnt make sense, my friend lives in 3 bed link detach that is newer than my flat and is only band b
Any info appreciated

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    council tax banding is based on the value of the property in 1991

the value of a terraced house in the Welsh mining valleys is rather different to the value of a tin pot rabbit hutch flat in London

it is purely a function of relative value, that is where the sense lies
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Because the flat is worth more presumebly
  • Tinkerbell62
    Options
    the flat certainly isn't worth more than my friends 3 bed link detach, when i questioned it before i was told it was because the flat has two bedrooms?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    the flat certainly isn't worth more than my friends 3 bed link detach, when i questioned it before i was told it was because the flat has two bedrooms?

You can ask VOA to check it's accurate.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sorry but you are clearly failing to understand the basics. Is is not as simple as how many bedrooms are there.

you have a 2 bed flat. That may, or may not, have been set as having a higher value than a one bed flat in that exact council area. Patently that exact council area rates a 3 bed linked detached as being in the same band value as your 2 bed flat. Whether that is "correct" is a matter of research to establish valid comparisons... therefore you need to research relative values of properties in the area and be clear on why they fall into the bands they do.

Bandings are set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and can be checked online: https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are in England the notional 1991 value of your flat could be £41K, whereas the 3 bed link detached could be £51K. Both would be Band B.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure