Mooloo's Joining up the dots in 2017

Comments

• Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 9 June 2017 at 8:41AM
    Dgd started running a temperature last night so I have had to cancel my day today. We will have to cancel fittings and rearrange work etc.
    Yesterday Biggest came for her fitting. A little work required to fit.
    We had a few small jobs in, but then a large order for bunting. However I will have to bring it home to do because I don't think that staff quoted enough- at only £1 a flag she didn't quote for the fabric and labour ! ( usually bunting is using up scraps and remnants but this one will certainly need fabric purchased. It is also usually a filler job when quiet, and Saturday girl helps)
    I will need to work out of hours at home so I don't loose other paying work!
    20 buntings with 12 flags in each. Still should cover the fabric costs but not labour costs.
    I will pop in to the shop to bring work home later this afternoon if dgd is any better, or I will wait until BF comes home then go.
    My neighbour's going to pick me up some milk.
    BF surprised me and turned up here straight from the airport last night.
    I wasn't expecting to see him until tonight. Bonus.
    I will work on the accounts etc on the laptop today then.
    The new seamstress is not going in today, so no sewing will get done unfortunately, but we were on track. We will definitely have work next week then!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • mrmechanic
    mrmechanic Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Mooloo wrote: »
    We had a few small jobs in, but then a large order for bunting. However I will have to bring it home to do because I don't think that staff quoted enough- at only £1 a flag she didn't quote for the fabric and labour ! ( usually bunting is using up scraps and remnants but this one will certainly need fabric purchased. It is also usually a filler job when quiet, and Saturday girl helps)
    I will need to work out of hours at home so I don't loose other paying work!
    20 buntings with 12 flags in each. Still should cover the fabric costs but not labour costs.

Surely if the quote is only going to cover just the fabric, you would go back and tell the customer that you cannot do for the price quoted as the quote given by another staff member would be lucky if it covered the materials.
    No one works for nothing and especially if it means you are going to be bringing it home to do in your spare time.??
    You need to go back and let them know, if your new price is to expensive then they find someone else to do it that can do it cheaper.
    Why would you work for free??? you are struggling to make ends meet and pay staff, but committing to jobs with no financial benefit.Time to toughen up mooloo and put a value on your time or you are always going to be chasing that next job just to pay staff, rent, other bills and make ends meet.
    If you loose the customer, then you will just have to suck it up.
    If you do for free, then next time when they come back they will want it done for around the same price as last time and if you explain that you will have to charge more, they will go elsewhere.
    So you will have lost that customer anyway. Better to be tough now and make money or save yourself the time to put into a paying job.
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,840 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mrmechanic wrote: »
    Surely if the quote is only going to cover just the fabric, you would go back and tell the customer that you cannot do for the price quoted as the quote given by another staff member would be lucky if it covered the materials.
    No one works for nothing and especially if it means you are going to be bringing it home to do in your spare time.??
    You need to go back and let them know, if your new price is to expensive then they find someone else to do it that can do it cheaper.
    Why would you work for free??? you are struggling to make ends meet and pay staff, but committing to jobs with no financial benefit.Time to toughen up mooloo and put a value on your time or you are always going to be chasing that next job just to pay staff, rent, other bills and make ends meet.
    If you loose the customer, then you will just have to suck it up.
    If you do for free, then next time when they come back they will want it done for around the same price as last time and if you explain that you will have to charge more, they will go elsewhere.
    So you will have lost that customer anyway. Better to be tough now and make money or save yourself the time to put into a paying job.

I agree with this, people make mistakes, go back and tell the customer and quote the right price.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    ognum wrote: »
    I agree with this, people make mistakes, go back and tell the customer and quote the right price.

So do I. If you do it for free then she may well recommend you to other people and they will all want to pay the same price. You really need to tell her that staff made a mistake with the quote.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Yes, your right, I will have to tell them that the quite is wrong. Although I am reluctant to go over Staffs head, were on a fine divide line of change at the moment and I seem to be biding my time until she retires as I don't want her memory of work to be negative after such a good few years. I just think she is off the pace now, side tracked by her daughter's cafe, and not being able to cope with change as easily as she used to.
    When I get back to work today I will see about timings, and check out the costings, before I call the customer.
    I spent yesterday at home, so I did the accounts, the paperwork for the council etc however no matter how many times I tried to sort out my website my internet explorer kept freezing and I lost my work. So the website remains out of date.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Mooloo love, you have every right to go over her head - you are after all her boss!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mooloo

I take it staff would be glad to work for free? She quoted it so it seems fair that she does it for that price! Don't think she will be keen on losing her own money but quite happy for you to do so. ;)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    How long til Staff retires?
    Not too long I hope.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    She retires 28th July.
    I will not be replacing her with anyone else yet. My plan is to do the work myself, I will work on the front desk again, and do the computer work and the website etc, I plan to do the promotion stuff etc and start to up the profile of the shop, and let the seamstress do the majority of the sewing.
    If we need help I will look for another sewer and an all round person who doesn't mind doing a bit of both.
    I would like to be able to have the shop able to run smoothly without having to be there all the time. So that I can open another shop eventually
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,118 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Any way you could bring that retirement date forward?
    You could loose a lot of money between now & then.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure