Signed off sick but employer chasing

I have been signed off sick (first time in 5 years), initially for 2 weeks. Went back to the doctor yesterday and been signed off for 2 months. I contacted my employer yesterday and sent in my sick note. This morning I get a call from my immediate supervisor stating he will need to refer the matter to HR dept as he has never seen a sick note for 2 months before. He also stated he will see if there is anything they can do to get me back to work quicker.

Basically I feel that this is an attempt to pressure me in to going back and just want to know what my rights are. As far as I am aware the medical reasons are confidential and as long as the doctor has signed a sick note then they should accept it.

Work policy for sickness is 6 months on full pay and 6 months on half pay.

Just in case I have misconstrued the telephone call I am thinking of asking for all future contact to be by email so is this advisable (at least then everything is auditable for any future issues)

I may be being paranoid but the way things are at the moment it has upset me and I am also aware a number of people at work are in final warnings for sickness. (My sickness record since I have worked for them is exemplary until now)

Comments

• I have been signed off sick (first time in 5 years), initially for 2 weeks. Went back to the doctor yesterday and been signed off for 2 months. I contacted my employer yesterday and sent in my sick note. This morning I get a call from my immediate supervisor stating he will need to refer the matter to HR dept as he has never seen a sick note for 2 months before. He also stated he will see if there is anything they can do to get me back to work quicker.

Basically I feel that this is an attempt to pressure me in to going back and just want to know what my rights are. As far as I am aware the medical reasons are confidential and as long as the doctor has signed a sick note then they should accept it.

Work policy for sickness is 6 months on full pay and 6 months on half pay.

Just in case I have misconstrued the telephone call I am thinking of asking for all future contact to be by email so is this advisable (at least then everything is auditable for any future issues)

I may be being paranoid but the way things are at the moment it has upset me and I am also aware a number of people at work are in final warnings for sickness. (My sickness record since I have worked for them is exemplary until now)
    Sounds poorly worded but it is quite common for the employer to request a meeting to see if they can aid in your recovery and hopefully get you to return to work quicker.

I wouldn't quite pull the cord on written communication only just yet, if they keep phoning you then do so but it will immediately make your relationship much more formal.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I'm not entirely surpassed they are acting like this - an initial fit note for two months is exceptionally unusual, and suggests something serious. So they have to take is seriously too. And if you work in the kind of sector that I think you do, a two month fit note will kick in long term absence procedures, which would involve doing everything they can to determine any work connected reasons, any adjustments they can make - but also potentially sickness monitoring stages. What toy haven't been in the past is irrelevant in these situations - you are now going to be off work sick for two months.

You are perfectly entitled to refuse to cooperate with these processes, and to refuse to discuss your medical situation or allow contact with your doctor (which is likely to be asked for). But I strongly advise you not to do so- it will only worsen your position vis a vis returning to work and sickness absence processes.

And you are quite wrong- although it is not common for an employer to ignore a doctor's advice (and it is advice), they are entitled to refuse to accept a sick note, and/ or to insist you see their own medical practitioner.

These things don't have to be difficult. But you can make them so. It's generally best not to.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    I agree that wording in the initial conversation might have been better, but it is pretty much standard practice these days for extended periods of sickness to be referred to Occupational Health fairly early on. For a decent company the purpose will be to see if there is anything they can do which might help you in returning to work, and to find out if it was anything work related which is the underlying cause of the absence.
    The fact that the company pays 6 month full pay and 6 month half is totally irrelevant to OH and other intervention.
  • I always feel sorry for employers in these situations.

They have an exemplary staff member suddenly on long term sick. They have no idea what the problem is, or whether the 2 months might turn into 6 months, or two years. They're trying to run a business.

So - what are their options?
    1) they could just ignore you for 2 months, or 6 months or however long it turns out to be, put you onto half pay and then sign you off at the end of the year. I don't think many people would be too happy about that. 'But they didn't even make contact!! Not a single phone call, and I was really ill!! They don't care!'

2) they could make informal contact (a phone call from your supervisor, rather than a letter from the head of HR) to see how you're doing and to suggest a meeting to see if there's anything they can do to help. Remember, they don't know what's wrong with you - but maybe you could get in to work if you didn't have to climb the stairs to the 3rd floor, or if you only did 3 days a week etc etc. They won't know this unless you tell them. But you're not happy with this either - 'They're putting pressure on me!! They're not entitled to know what's wrong with me!!'

3) they could assume that everyone who is on the sick is also on the fiddle. Many employers do this. And if you are genuinely ill then there is nothing to be gained by being awkward, as it will reinforce their assumption that you are just like everyone else.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • I would definitely want to have a meeting with an employee who handed in a fit note for two months. I'd be worried about them and keen to ensure that their absence wasn't related to something in the workplace. I'd also be keen to get an idea of what the issue is to allow me to plan how to cover your absence.
  • I always feel sorry for employers in these situations.

They have an exemplary staff member suddenly on long term sick. They have no idea what the problem is, or whether the 2 months might turn into 6 months, or two years. They're trying to run a business.

They do know what the issue is as I have been quite open with them. TBH I was also surprised when the doctor signed me off for so long but do have to go back and see him in January
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I think a lot depends on the reason for the medical leave as well. If you have a stress related health condition, then it's not unreasonable for the employer to try to address the underlying reasons for this if they are in part work related. If you have a physical condition for which the recovery period is fairly fixed then less so.

I don't understand your reference to the nature of your illness being confidential between you and your doctor however as any fit note I have ever seen does disclose in general terms why you are being certified as not fit for work.
  • I don't think 2 month sick notes can be that uncommon, people who have had major surgery or serious illness can need that long easily, especially if their work is demanding or physical.

• As far as I am aware the medical reasons are confidential and as long as the doctor has signed a sick note then they should accept it.

So, do they know what the problem is or not??

If they already know, because it's on the fit note, why are you talking about the medical reasons being confidential?

Has it crossed your mind that they might actually be genuinely worried about you?

You seem to be very quick to claim your rights - '6 months full pay, 6 months half pay' - but not so quick to see that they might actually be trying to help you.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I don't think 2 month sick notes can be that uncommon, people who have had major surgery or serious illness can need that long easily, especially if their work is demanding or physical.
    Yes - where there is major surgery or serious illness ( neither of which are that common). But in either of those cases one might expect the employer to know. One doesn't generally go in for major surgery without mentioning it at all. And a sick note saying that you can't work due to serious illness would be a dead give away. And also quite noticeable, as serious sickness doesn't necessarily mean that you can't work for two months. Even if these apply, there might be reasonable adjustments the employer can make - and needs to make. Or other support mechanisms to put in place. I'd be seriously disturbed by any employer who simply said "ok, see you in two months!".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure