Thanks Mum this is for you...single gal, a pony and a mission to beat the mortgage

Comments

• Baldybear
    Baldybear Posts: 1,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud! I won, I won, I won!
    edited 10 August 2016 at 10:51AM
    I have just noticed horse in avatar looks chestnut but her mane in the pic you posted looks skewbald.

When we got Ponyplops she was broken in but still a baby at 5. We took her out every single day without fail for the first few months - nearly killed me with working full time.

Hello :) The pony in my avatar is Baldrick, my old boy, had him for 17 years, love and still miss him loads. He died from liver failure, was 22 and 3/4. This is him (yonks ago, think I was about 17 eeek!) He was a 13.2 arab x welsh. Complete git and stubborn to the core but would go anywhere on him (bar jumping we tried and failed :rotfl:). So new hoss who now stands at 16hh is a big step up, literally :D

baldrickmisty.jpg

Thats dedication re plops taking out everyday, dont do that but aiming for 3/4 times a week :)
  • He was gorgeous. You must have been very sad to lose him.
    Plops is less hard work now she is 8.
  • Baldybear
    edited 11 August 2016 at 11:53AM
    He was gorgeous. You must have been very sad to lose him.
    Plops is less hard work now she is 8.

Thank you, yes I was, still miss him now, he was a git but great, annoying till the end! 2 things come to mind, went away for 21st birthday, just got to hotel, friend rang, baldrick couldnt walk in from field and vet was called, ended up in hospital for 9 days, thorn in his fetlock joint, £2.5K vet bill, £1900 hospital and £600 my vet, thanks mum as she helped me out with this. Still got the thorn and apart from car and house is the most expensive thing I own :rotfl::rotfl: Second point was when we had him put to sleep, new years eve, bought him in in evening, was planning to go out but he decided enough was enough and we made that decision, was right at the time, so this is where spent my evening, waiting for vet and then saying final goodbye, what made it more amusing was it was my OH at the time 40th birthday, he will always remember that one :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

My new hoss is taking after him in that respect, what with the injury just after mum died. :cool: Hoping nothing else major that coincides with any life events!! New hoss is now 5 1/2 and slowly improving so all going in the right direction :)
  • Baldybear
    So onto money news, lovely lunch out yesterday with mums friend :) Walked to hoss in the evening and then cleared 2 wheelbarrows of poo, all good exercise too. Lets discount the 2 biscuits I had last night, but this was due to my lodger cooking biscuits last night and making the house smell lovely, will power definitely needs to improve, but on the whole count as a good day.

Today no plans for spending, got hoss trainer tonight but got the money out yesterday from bank so counting as NSD :) Be great exercise again with the hoss.
  • Hope it goes well. Crazy vet bills!
  • Baldybear
    Good morning :)

So failed on NSD yesterday, ended up buying roll and choc bar at lunchtime, £1 spent. Yesterday evening trainer down, she borrowed one of the yards hossies and we went for a hack. Went onto the common, havent taken hoss that far before, she was very well behaved, couple of odd moments but that was me as well as her, did walk and trot, out for over 1hr, so pleased :) Need to get doing it more often and booking another trainer session. Big thing that has come out of it is how unfit I am, nearly died trotting :o but aiming to keep working the hoss on a regular basis, and getting this dieting and fitness lark down to a tee and should all go in the right direction.

Today have already failed at a NSD, have booked 2 tickets to olympia hoss show, used to go for years but havent been for a while and really enjoy it, plus the shopping ;) So £135 spent :eek: No idea who will go with me yet but lots of ideas :)

So tomorrow going out with sister and nephew to london, sister has bought tickets for attraction, I will pay for the train and take some food with me.

So I have just over £200 in "fun" savings. So this covers the tickets outright and the train for tomorrow, thats what the savings are for :D Obv if I take a friend to olympia they will pay their ticket back, but for now am all even with the budget :)
  • Great progress with hoss.
  • Baldybear
    edited 15 August 2016 at 10:51AM

So super spendy weekend but a good one. So started with friday and £135 on olympia tickets.

The to saturday went to Shrek adventure with sister and nephew, great fun. Sister had paid for tickets and also bought us a packed lunch. I spent £23 on trains and then £25 on official photo book. Then came home and did an online food shop £94 there. Only 1 mess up got 1 banana, instead of bunch!

Sunday went to local garden centre and spent £29 and £163 on 6 plants which fill the remaining holes in back garden, looks fab now, and also some soaker hose and normal hose to be able to do the front, the back is already set up so very expensive but a very good time saving investment as dont have time to water everything so turn tap on and leave for hour or so and ta dah all watered perfectly :) Also spent £20 on food and new tower for the hamster and then today £82 on hoss food order.

So the total of all the weekends spending £575 :eek: Sp money taken from appropriate fun and house account for day out and plants etc. Have taken some money from horse account to pay for hoss food order as short on budget this month. So accounts depleted but thats what they are there for and money built into budgets to boost them back up.

I have £90 in my current a/c as of today. Need to pay Bcard off, chased up BHS refund so £24 due, also need to get diesel for car today so that will wipe most of that out.

Farrier due this week but have money put aside already, also have £20 odd in my purse. No extra spending needed, everything all up to date. My food shop order was big and freezer and store cupboards rammed, going to try and not buy anything for these over the next month and just buy fresh bits, a new challenge, watch this space. Payday not till next week so need to stretch out those last few pennies and try and retain a credit over to next month :)

At home, strawberries are still growing a bit, carrots look good, have started eating lettuce, sprouts waste of time been decimated by bugs, grr. Runner beans fab have lots of meals already and lots already prepped in the freezer :D
  • Baldybear

£48 spent on filling up car yesterday and Bcard paid, £16 in account, have week or so till payday, hoping to save this till then, shouldnt need to spend at all.

Car gone in for software update today, via VW emissions scandal, free as their issue, picked up from work and dropping off later, guy who came to pick it up said they would also give it a courtesy wash and valet, bonus, my car is filthy, inside had hoovered out a few weeks ago but ever so dusty and the outside is super greasy and sticky (sap from trees I park under at work), was thinking about cleaning it but now shouldnt need too :D
  • Wow I've loved reading your thread, very entertaining,

You sound like me, need to get financially organised, need to lose weight and have horses. I've given up on warmblood nutters though and no longer ride. I have just taken delivery of 2 rescue mini ponies and they are so friendly and cute. I also have 2 dogs again both rescues.

I'm gonna take some inspiration from your ideas and get busy busy busy, my worst thing seems to be procrastination though, there are always jobs on the yard to do but something always gets in the way lol. I have no excuse not to set up accounts for various things though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure