PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not Buying It- A Consumer Holiday 2016

Options

Comments

• pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sitting in waiting for 2 deliveries today so decided to sort out the freezer as there's a few spaces appearing at last!

Anyhow, I've ended up defrosting it, washing all the trays out and sorting it as I put everything back in. Still have loads but other than a few odds and ends it's nearly all packs of mince, ribs, chicken etc so now I've had a tidy up I can start to make things to use these up.

So lunch was a quesadilla using sweetcorn & grated chilli cheese from freezer, mixed with 2 lanky spring onions from fridge, a tin of tuna & some mayonnaise, inside a tortilla wrap also from freezer.

Tea will be a portion of HM chilli from freezer, mixed with last of frozen sweetcorn and some rice.

I've also left out the last of the frozen ginger cake which I'll use up sometime this week with custard.

Now to find something else productive to do while I wait for my parcels!
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Day 34/366 Small spend at the Coop as was passing on my way home and the place where I collect the recycling is next door. Only bought yellow stickered items which have gone into the freezer and will reappear as part of next weeks menu. Many thanks for the Future learn reminder- I have signed up for a course later on in the spring.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • chirpycheap
    Options
    I didn't realise so many others on here are studying with Future Learn. Not only thrifty but brainy too!
    Slimming World tonight and I avoided buying the new magazine, any cereal bars or raffle tickets. Temptation waved at me but I didn't crumble. I love my class. It's a bit of a social evening but you can end up opening your purse. I'm a lifetime member and one of the incentives for me getting to target was knowing that it would be free one I got there. At the moment the ready meals that Slimming World are making with Iceland are what everyone seems to be buying. I did try one with a voucher but ready meals are an expensive way of eating and to be honest I always feel that I could make something much tastier for half the cost. Losing weight doesn't have to cost a fortune!
    Stashbusting 2019 - 230/300
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Ahoy there

I didnt post yesterday as was out at a meeting and did not get home till 12 midnight!!

2 NSDs for grocery budget but did well with happy stash - trying to keep it down this week because am going to Cornwall this weekend and shall have a few meals out! So kept it down had - 2 half pints of beer and one coffee = £5 - that was useful!! :j

NBI as resisted going to shops to buy real coffee - am out of it at the moment but - seriously - I wont expire without it!! I went to a friends for a quick catch up and coffee today and there is only Thurs to go and then I'll be on a train and in to another week's money once I get home!! :D

NBI also as it was a long day but took my own slice of cake to nibble between clients!

Wildthing - I have a chemistry degree and when I see some of the so-called science on adverts I genuinely dont know whether to laugh or cry!!! It is so sad that generations have been so badly educated that they cannot spot the obvious scientific BS in these things!!! :mad:We should be educating our young people better so that they will be less gullible and more NBI - now at last some English exams include a part of looking at how magasines use presentational features and emotive language to persuade us to a certain point of view!!! :)

Mind you - that said - I occasionally start to fall for some thing until my science brain kicks in and goes 'Humm - where is the proof? What was the size of the number of people surveyed/tested and where were they tested/spoken to??

Where does this completely fall down - posh chocolate :o Then Im a complete mug!!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
  • pm2326
    pm2326 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't realise so many others on here are studying with Future Learn. Not only thrifty but brainy too!
    Slimming World tonight and I avoided buying the new magazine, any cereal bars or raffle tickets. Temptation waved at me but I didn't crumble. I love my class. It's a bit of a social evening but you can end up opening your purse. I'm a lifetime member and one of the incentives for me getting to target was knowing that it would be free one I got there. At the moment the ready meals that Slimming World are making with Iceland are what everyone seems to be buying. I did try one with a voucher but ready meals are an expensive way of eating and to be honest I always feel that I could make something much tastier for half the cost. Losing weight doesn't have to cost a fortune!

Hi

I personally won't eat a ready meal, unless it's one I made and bunged in the freezer, but I think the WW and SW ready meals are just wrong and won't help anyone lose weight in the long term.

I don't understand how these meals educate people how to lose weight and keep it off, how do they learn to eat everyday food with their friends/family if all they've done is eat prepared ready meals?

Would they know how to cook the same meal for the whole family without adding unwanted calories & fat?
  • tatabubbly
    tatabubbly Posts: 909 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2016 at 12:34PM
    Options
    Lyn - I have a degree in chemistry as well :D and a masters but unfortunately it's never helped me progress in my career but heyho, that's life!

Today shall be a NSD - We are heading to a housewarming and bought something small for them earlier in the week. Drinks and pizza there with us all moving on to a new bar. Which has 3 free drinks for ladies - no too shabby! As I'm pregnant, that will last me all night!

Plumped up my sitting room this morning and all the other chores are done I think! Popping a freezer pizza in the oven later - our friends have said there will be food but I'm not sure what amount so we could turn up and it be 2 pizzas between 25 people! Lol

Pm2326, I did SW before falling pregnant - it teaches you to eat fruit, veg, a calcium food and fiber food every day. Your not suppose to eat them ready meals every day- and especially on their own, you are suppose to add veg to it. Those that do will find themselves probably falling off the wagon. I actually don't have access to these ready meals - thank gosh.
    094 Sealed pot member! :beer: (7) €185 (8) €138 (9) €€250
    Saving for our first home!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    My Not Buying It story for today......I took our gas and electricity meter readings and input them online, as I do every month. A message appeared saying "Congratulations, you are today's lucky customer! Do a quick survey and get a reward worth at least £50!"

I thought, might as well...Did the survey (7 easy questions including how easy is their website and would I recommend the utility company to others) then looked at the reward.

Today's reward , either one or both of....a Premium E Cigarette Kit and a pot of Anti-Ageing Face Cream apparently worth £89!!!!!

I don't smoke, and was not over impressed by the face cream. It was free, but I still would have to pay £4.95 delivery. I decided not to bother. A message appeared saying "are you sure? We can pay 60% of the delivery charge for you!"

I thought about it. I would still be paying out something like £1.95 for a pot of overpriced moisturiser, and I wouldn't even give it as a present to someone - it seems an insult giving someone anti-ageing cream as a present, like saying "Here, happy birthday you decrepit old hag!"

Plus....this company selling the face cream would have my name and address for bombarding me with marketing emails in the future.

So, no thank you, I am Not Buying It!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Day 35/366 I've been looking for a standard lampbase for a while now to house a daylight bulb so that I can cross stitch in the evenings. The ones I've seen started at £300 but Mr GBT has found the perfect one for our room in the local CS for £7.50. He even walked there and carried it home. Result! Doing voluntary work tonight so no further spends.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • wildthing01
    Options
    Hello All

Well, I seem to be doing rather well for conferences in posh hotels lately, as had another one today (twice in a fortnight) - but unlikely to see another one for at least a year! So had free food and drink all day and filled my boots!

Nipped into aldi on way home to get cat food as we had completely run out (down to giving them tins of tuna long forsaken in the cupboard- good it's finally been used!!), and was very restrained, did not even look at the aisle of doom, just got bleach and loo roll, dull but necessary. Helped by the fact that the conference had overrun and I was desperate to get home and was still stuck in middle of city 50 mins from where I live, so was motivated to get out of the shop asap.

We have now got a whiteboard in the kitchen and I scribble on it every time we run out of/are about to run out of something, then when there's a few items on there, I take a photo of it on my phone and then call in at the shop as I'm going past. This is really helping me - I have always done a big monthly shop before, but really struggle to concentrate on a) writing a long monthly shop list, going through all the cupboards etc, and b) going round the shop and buying it all. This way is much easier - I don't have to generate the list as it generates itself, and I only have to concentrate on a few items in the shop. Plus it takes less time. Am hoping it's saving money too, as am not standing in middle of shop panicking and guessing at how many packs of spaghetti etc we need, but am just buying one at a time. The food mountain is reduced, I can see what we have in the freezer and I've even made some random meals from long-lost meat buried in the depths for goodness knows how long! I used to have a stockpile mentality, and it feels quite liberating to let that go and think, do you know what, we're hardly stuck out in some remote desert - if we do run out of spaghetti, and we need it urgently, the coop is only 5 minutes away. Or we can eat fusilli instead.

Nargleblast - well done on Not Buying It - I have also recently started to think harder about 'freebies' etc - esp when I realised I was often driving several miles to the shop to use my coupon for free item (and then also buying other stuff while there), and was paying more than the cost of the free item in petrol to do so. So sometimes it is cheaper not to get the freebie - it took me a while to work that out!

Lyn, I did an MSc. so learnt some critical analysis skills there, especially re sample sizes, confounding factors, bias etc. The ads that get me are the ones where '82% of women said their skin looked better' etc.... I do product testing for a few companies, and while I try my hardest to be honest when doing the surveys, I think some respondents would be a bit more inclined to be positive about a product that has been given to them for free, especially when they are banking on staying on the testing panel long-term. And half the time they only surveyed about 60 people, hardly a representative sample of the millions of potential users out there.

Anyway. I'm still trying really hard with NBI, as we are still working on paying off our house renovation debts (although there will be more to come) and my pay will reduce this year as my pay protection will be running out (am in the public sector and a lot of us have had our salary down-graded). And in fact, it's not looking too bad, we're doing better than I thought, and hopefully my living room will not have holes in all the walls and ceiling (new electrics, moving doorways etc) for too much longer.
  • Lynplatinum
    Options
    Ahoy there shipmates

Nargleblast - that really is an worthy NBI story! Interesting how our thought patterns change from - 'Ooooh its free so I must have it!' to 'Hang on a minute - do I need it - is it gonna clutter up my life - will it give a big company my name?' Well done - a perfect example of NBI thinking it through! :beer:

Interesting that several of us on here are ladies of science (I acknowledge that there may be gentlemen of science on here too lurking away as none have come forward thus far) I dont think that everyone needs a science degree but some appreciation of how statistics can be distorted, what is pseudo science and some cynicism should be taught at GCSE level as there is just such a bombardment of communications from companies aimed at folk - we need more advanced skills to work out who might be being 'economical with' or indeed 'stretching' the truth!! Much as Martin :money: says there needs to be more financial awareness taught in schools.

Wildthing - yep back in the days when i did conferences it always staggered me how much and of what great quality there was to eat. I always hoped that the remains were taken home by the staff if they wanted it - I know they dont get well paid! Think you system of using your phone for a shopping list is an excellent and novel idea! If you can zoom in and out and not get distracted by clever displays tempting you then it I can see how it would really work!

I take my small rucksack and walk to the local L!dil - this prevents me buying too much!! :rotfl: But then, I live on my own!
    Anyone else shop in a particular way to save?
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs :cool: NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22) :j
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure