Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Freddie_85 wrote: »
    Because I am living at home, and my parent's income will not be taken into account, the maintenance loan amount shown for me is £2763.
    Does this sound right? Will it not be slightly more because I am attending a London University? It will just about cover my transport costs.

Why are you not applying for income assessed? You only get more money going to university in London if you are indepedent/live away from your parents.
    I assume that next year, when I am 25 years old, I can apply independently from my family, despite living at home? And I would be entitled to more, possibly a grant.

Yes.
  • Freddie_85
    Freddie_85 Posts: 39 Forumite
    My parent's income would be above the threshold, I would have thought.
  • MrsManda
    My parent's income would be above the threshold, I would have thought.

If you are not sure it may be worth asking them to ensure you get the maximum amount of grant/loan available. The threshold for grants is ~£50,000 but the threshold to get the maximum amount of loan is higher I think (can't find the figures at the moment).
  • Freddie_85
    Freddie_85 Posts: 39 Forumite
    I think you can only get more than £2,763 if the household income is less than £56,153 a year.
  • hey there,
    after all the student loan problems last year i want to get it all done as quickly as possible for my first undergradute year in september. I have all my details/evidence submitted, the only thing left is to send my bank details, but the banks still havn't opened there 2010-2011 student accounts yet, basically i am worried that by the time they do open them, and then i have to decide/sign up with one, will this mean that my application will take longer to process? I just want to get it all out of the way. Do you recommend giving the SLC my current account info now, and then updating my bank details when i open my student account in july?( i have had some problems so far with missing info and muddling on their end so am a little against this as am worried they will get my current accoutn details and the updatign will go wrong)
    or should it be fine that i have no bank details submitted until i open my student account in about july time? im just concerened about it not being done and sorted in time for uni.
    thank you
    :D
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Freddie, the 36 months don't have to be consecutive. You just need to demonstrate you were supporting yourself, or at least had the funds to be able to.
  • Taiko
    Billywill,

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you. We've had a lot on this last week, so haven't had chance to sit down and do it quickly.

On a £57,000 income, you're looking at the following. This is also based on you living away from parents but outside London.

Contribution: (£34459 - £25001 / £5.86) + (£57000 - £34460 / £20.59)

= £1614 + £1094
    = £2708 contribution

£2906 (Max Grant) - £2708 (Contribution) = £198 Maintenance grant entitlement

This would then make your loan entitlement £4745 (Max loan) - £198 = £4547
  • MrsManda
    sephie773 wrote: »
    hey there,
    after all the student loan problems last year i want to get it all done as quickly as possible for my first undergradute year in september. I have all my details/evidence submitted, the only thing left is to send my bank details, but the banks still havn't opened there 2010-2011 student accounts yet, basically i am worried that by the time they do open them, and then i have to decide/sign up with one, will this mean that my application will take longer to process? I just want to get it all out of the way. Do you recommend giving the SLC my current account info now, and then updating my bank details when i open my student account in july?( i have had some problems so far with missing info and muddling on their end so am a little against this as am worried they will get my current accoutn details and the updatign will go wrong)
    or should it be fine that i have no bank details submitted until i open my student account in about july time? im just concerened about it not being done and sorted in time for uni.
    thank you
    :D

Give them your current bank details, you can change it later. When it comes to update the details, just keep the account you first gave them open until after you've received the first payment in the new account.
  • Rednikcam
    Rednikcam Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hey chaps, I've just rang up student finance to make sure my application was correct. I've just finished my second year and am starting a 12 month paid placement that is relevant to my course (which is a sandwich degree involving a placement year). So I rang up to make sure that they knew that, because on the online application it didn't seem to have a proper option to explain that this is the case.

After going through the waiting and key pressing I spoke to woman who explained that while on a paid placement in the UK I'm not able to receive any kind of financial support at all... which completely goes against everything I've heard at my university for the last 2 years. It also goes against the numerous people who have had paid placement experience who were entitled to half their student loan.

While looking on university websites they all state that this is the case... but the woman was insistent that this was the case. I don't really know what to do now... I've phoned up my placement department who are going to get back to me. But what can I do from here? If I'm right (and I'm SURE people have got finance support) but the woman was just insistent I wasn't able to receive any I don't know what I can do.

I can't seem to find any relevant information on the official website which is what I feel I need to be able to point to... any help?

Thanks in advance.
  • Taiko
    The woman is wrong. If you're on paid placement, you are entitled to the reduced rate maintenance loan and half rate fee loan.

If you can remember the time you called, I'd suggest making a complaint. Whenever your account is accessed, it does leave some details, so I'd complain about the incorrect information you have been given. If needbe, they can also trace the call, providing you can give them the rough time and number you called from.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback