PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Do I have to pay CGT?

Options
We bought our house 20 yrs ago and now want to downsize due to ill health. We bought this property with a piece of
agricultural land (less than half an acre) with a barn also included on the deeds. Our neighbour wants to buy this land and barn prior to us selling the house and garden. My question is, would we be liable to Capital Gains Tax on this sale, and how is it worked out considering we bought the property as a whole? We are basic rate taxpayers and this is our only property. Many thanks.

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't answer the CGT issue but I'll bet he has in mind a barn conversion to a house. You might want to include an uplift clause so you get a percentage of the uplift in value if that happens.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, no CGT. You're selling (part of) your primary residence.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 December 2017 at 9:30AM
    Options
    your refer to the land as "agricultural with a barn"
    • is it joined to your "garden" as a continuous bit so if you walk out your backdoor you will get to the boundary of what is yours without leaving your "garden" and this its current use is no longer for agriculture?
    • is it fenced off from your "garden"?
    • what is the entire size of your landholding: house footprint + garden + + 1/2 acre of agricultural land incl barn's footprint? (0.5 hectare = 1.2 acres)
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    V_Cooper wrote: »
    We bought our house 20 yrs ago and now want to downsize due to ill health. We bought this property with a piece of
    agricultural land (less than half an acre) with a barn also included on the deeds. Our neighbour wants to buy this land and barn prior to us selling the house and garden. My question is, would we be liable to Capital Gains Tax on this sale, and how is it worked out considering we bought the property as a whole? We are basic rate taxpayers and this is our only property. Many thanks.

No CGT as you're selling part of your primary residence. However be careful of the order here: if you sell the barn to the neighbour first and he puts in plans to convert to a house, could that lower the value of the rest of your property with a now much closer neighbour? You might consider getting a buyer for the rest of the property lined up before completing the sale to neighbour.
  • V_Cooper
    Options
    The land is attached to our house and garden. Total size of whole plot including agricultural yard, barn, house and garden is under one acre (Estate Agent estimates it is 0.7 of an acre). The garden is slightly bigger than the yard. We can walk out to the barn without any gate as we removed part of the hedge to drive the ride-on mower from the barn, where we keep it, to the garden. The yard is concreted as about 45 years ago it was used by an agricultural machinery repair premises by a previous owner of the house. A potential buyer put in for a Certificate of Lawful Use for double-glazing business in it and it was refused by the Council as they still class it as 'agricultural' rather than business premises. Do you need any more information, I will reply asap.
  • V_Cooper
    Options
    He's told us he wants to buy it to STOP anyone else building on it (if we believe him?), either way, we would need to be careful to make sure the potential buyer of the house and garden is completely happy about having a potential building site next door. Would it be possible to exchange on the house, and sell him the barn whilst we are waiting for completion to avoid paying the CGT? We are both getting stressed out about this sort of shenanigans and would rather sell the whole plot to one person, but the neighbour is quite persistent, and has offered us a much better deal than any developer with no requirement for planning permission. Thanks.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,721 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He's told us he wants to buy it to STOP anyone else building on it (if we believe him?),
    If that is true, do as I suggest, insert an uplift clause into the contract. That should demonstrate to the buyers of the house there should be no building,
  • V_Cooper
    Options
    Thanks, that may be a good option if we do sell to him. Although, how it's enforced is another matter.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would it be possible to exchange on the house, and sell him the barn whilst we are waiting for completion to avoid paying the CGT?

I assume the house & barn are under the 1 title currently which you'll split at some point.

For the house, you'll live there until completion I expect.

For the barn, you'll have Principal Private Residence relief (PPR) for the period it was part of you main home (before split) plus the last 18 months of ownership. If that covers the full period you own it (ie sell the barn within 18months of the title split), then no capital gains tax.

If it takes longer there are further allowances that may help, but I suspect you won't have to worry about the exact order of sale from a CGT perspective.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure