Paypal Direct Debits

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    camaj wrote: »
    According to some people in this thread September this year. According to Natwest though PP is one of my DD which was last used in November

When you say that do you mean

1) in November you funded your Paypal account by pulling money in from your Natwest account using Paypal's DD facility

or

2) in November you bought something using Paypal as payment method, with funds drawn from your Natwest account
  • The last time I succeeded in pulling funds from my bank to Paypal by direct debit was set up on 1st December and completed on 6th December. I've tried several times since but got an error message each time.
  • Pretty much the same for me, although making purchases with direct debit still seems to work ok
  • drob4
    drob4 Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Pretty much the same for me, although making purchases with direct debit still seems to work ok

Yep, same here. The app was letting me pull money by DD at the start of the month - now it's not happening.

Is there a minimum amount for a DD to be used when buying something with Pay Pal? Can I just by a 1p item from eBay?
  • camaj
    camaj Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    badger09 wrote: »

1) in November you funded your Paypal account by pulling money in from your Natwest account using Paypal's DD facility

or

2) in November you bought something using Paypal as payment method, with funds drawn from your Natwest account

I bought something, using Paypal. That money was taken from my Natwest account and Natwest listed it as a DD that had last been active on the day of transaction along with all my other DD
  • badger09

or

camaj wrote: »
    I bought something, using Paypal. That money was taken from my Natwest account and Natwest listed it as a DD that had last been active on the day of transaction along with all my other DD

That's what I thought.

This discussion is about Paypal having withdrawn the facility to fund your Paypal account by pulling money in through a DD on your current account.
  • badger09 wrote: »
    This discussion is about Paypal having withdrawn the facility to fund your Paypal account by pulling money in through a DD on your current account.

Indeed, but if (and I don't think we know this for sure yet) Paypal is withdrawing that facility, some people may adopt the tactic of buying something on ebay each month in order to trigger Paypal to use the direct debit. It opens up the possibility of whole new threads along the lines of "how can I find ebay items for 1p and no postage?" !
  • badger09
    Indeed, but if (and I don't think we know this for sure yet) Paypal is withdrawing that facility, some people may adopt the tactic of buying something on ebay each month in order to trigger Paypal to use the direct debit. It opens up the possibility of whole new threads along the lines of "how can I find ebay items for 1p and no postage?" !

We do know that. The facility to fund your Paypal account by DD online has already been withdrawn.

Several posters are already using the occasional buy through Paypal for those current accounts which require only an 'active' DD, and have been doing so for years.

The advantage of being able to fund one's own Paypal account was that one could then withdraw the money, without having to spend/buy anything. This was useful for those accounts which required a DD to be paid out every month.

I'm sure some people will be happy to buy something from eBay every month just to trigger a nominal DD. I'm not one of them;)
  • Vortigern
    Vortigern Posts: 3,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sure some people will be happy to buy something from eBay every month just to trigger a nominal DD. I'm not one of them;)
    Here's a plan. I have some magic beans. They don't work anymore but that doesn't matter. I'll offer my magic beans for sale on eBay for one penny inclusive of postage. The buyer will agree to sell the bean back to me for the same price. To save postage neither of us will post the bean. Both of us will have used a DD. Any takers? adindas maybe?
  • Guys, 'send money to another person' to send something to the Paypal account of a relative. I can see the payment shows up as a DD in the bank account!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure