CCJ No Court Response

Hi all,

Long story short my OH was issued a CCJ for just over £5000 about 3 weeks ago. We had previously responded to the claim with an income and expenditure form admitting the debt and proposing a payment plan however it seems this was ignored as the next thing we heard was the CCJ saying "as you didn't respond..."

Anyway, we were ordered to pay the full amount within 2 weeks but we can't afford it, so over 2 weeks ago we sent an N245 form proposing a payment plan again.

This was signed for on the 17th of November and since then, we have heard absolutely nothing.

How long does it take the court to respond? Obviously I am panicking about bailiffs turning up.

Thanks

Comments

• Hi all,

Long story short my OH was issued a CCJ for just over £5000 about 3 weeks ago. We had previously responded to the claim with an income and expenditure form admitting the debt and proposing a payment plan however it seems this was ignored as the next thing we heard was the CCJ saying "as you didn't respond..."

Anyway, we were ordered to pay the full amount within 2 weeks but we can't afford it, so over 2 weeks ago we sent an N245 form proposing a payment plan again.

This was signed for on the 17th of November and since then, we have heard absolutely nothing.

How long does it take the court to respond? Obviously I am panicking about bailiffs turning up.

Thanks

Bailiffs for a private debt are virtually unheard of - assuming you owe this money to a proper company they almost certainly won't send bailiffs as they'd have no way to access your property without your consent, and there's just so many things that cannot be seized - they can't take your sofa, not even your TV unless you've got more than one. If you've ever seen the bailiff TV reality shows you'll probably notice that it's ALWAYS a business debt, or an eviction. Even on the odd occasion that it's been someone's home they've visited, it's still been for a business debt. Usually an attachment of earnings would be the first route they'd try.

Just contact the lender, or whoever owns the debt to see what they say has happened. Or your credit file - although it won't appear on that until at least 30 days after judgment.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Hi all,

Thanks

I would have expected something by now. You should phone the court for an update.

Is this a consumer credit act debt?

Bailiffs are an option often taken but for a cca debt they must use the court bailiff
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I would second ringing the court to find out whats happening, after all, only they can tell you the current status.

Dont be afraid to ring them, there usually very nice people.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure