Options

Comments

• greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Have a lovely time, Gg :) xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, you timed your departure very well, avoiding today's gales! Have a lovely, relaxing time, lots of fun too :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Have a great time Goldie!

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I got back from my holiday a couple of weeks ago. It was a really good cruise, and great to see such beautiful places close to home. We went to Guernsey, Ireland and Scotland. I particularly enjoyed Scotland. My Great grandmother was from the Highlands, so I think the Highland scenery is in the blood.

On the financial front, we've now transferred two of Mr Goldie's remaining pension pots to a Hargreaves Lansdown SIPP, and invested the money in various funds. I've tried to get a good mix of risk and geographic spread. Hopefully the money will now grow.

There's one remaining small pot worth about £2500. He will cash that in next year, in the new tax year. It would make things a bit more complicated if he did it this year.

As two of the pensions have now been transferred, this is now the time to make a start on the mound of paperwork Mr Goldie has kept in his bedside cupboard. I did reduce it a couple of years ago, but I'm now going to be ruthless!

Had a letter from Tesco to say the savings rate will be reducing.

When my TSB monthly saver matured it reverted into one of their normal savings accounts, with a 1% interest rate. There's no indication that this is about to reduce, so I think various pots of money will end up in that account.

I finally got to the 5000 pay out on You Gov, and have requested the money. Needless to say, since then I've been getting surveys every other day, as my new points total is so low!

I've got a batch of things from my friend to sell on eBay, so I'm listing a few each day, so a bit of money will be made there.

The courgette yield this year is minimal, but we are inundated with tomatoes. I'm making lots of tomato soup for the winter.

Other than that, lots of walking going on, as we've been enjoying the late summer. Today is rather dull, however.

Right, paperwork decluttering beckons!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    I am glad you had a good time Goldie - I missed you on here! Like you, we are receiving letter after letter advising of reduced interest rates, it is very sad when 1% starts to look like a good deal.

It is quite strange for me to be at home in term time. I am fine when the weather is good and I go for walks and visit and shop, but today it has rained all afternoon and I am climbing the walls! I crocheted for two hours and am now, as you can see, doing important investment research...... Do you have any advice for me please?
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the cruise, I'd love to go back to the highlands too it's stunning. So where's next on the list...........:D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Glad you enjoyed the cruise, I'd love to go back to the highlands too it's stunning. So where's next on the list...........:D

Next one is in February, on Aurora. It's the 'big' one, and will fulfil my lifetime dream of going to Australia. Will have to start making a plan of action soon, as I'll need a new passport and need to make sure we have all visas etc. Plus work out how we can pack for 6 weeks with one case each!
    I am glad you had a good time Goldie - I missed you on here! Like you, we are receiving letter after letter advising of reduced interest rates, it is very sad when 1% starts to look like a good deal.

It is quite strange for me to be at home in term time. I am fine when the weather is good and I go for walks and visit and shop, but today it has rained all afternoon and I am climbing the walls! I crocheted for two hours and am now, as you can see, doing important investment research...... Do you have any advice for me please?

When the sun shines, and we have the back door open the atmosphere of the day is so much nicer when we can go in and out of the garden when we want.

When the weather is dull and wet, it feels very different. I always find something to do, but it sometimes feels 'wrong' to be cooped up in the house. I like being home, but it's much better in the good weather.

As for investment advice....

I started off looking at the Monevator site, to get a feel for how to make up a portfolio.

When I started looking at funds, it was overwhelming as there are so many.

In the end, the best place was the Hargreaves Landsdown site, in the pensions and retirement section. They give sample portfolios, and I ended up putting my own together, half way between 'conservative' and 'medium risk' by mixing and matching funds and adjusting the percentages. I did it over a few days as it was a bit mind blowing!

Good luck with it, as it's a big task, but I felt happier doing it myself rather than getting an IFA involved
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We really like Auroura, how amazing going to Australia! Can I be really nosey and ask what type of cabin you go for on a long cruise like this, the difference in price is very large for a balcony but I'm not sure about being inside/outside for a longer cruise. Or perhaps you are so busy visiting places it doesn't matter?

Hope you don't mind me asking, I am planning lots of trips for the future in my head :D
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • misscousinitt
    Options
    Hi Goldie

So pleased you had a good trip - sounds lovely.

Your investments sound very good - and I think you are very brave doing it yourself - but I think I will be the same.

Good to see you popping back on here - miss your posts.

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Goldie - you've obviously pots to do, even if a day inside the house does send you a bit stir crazy - the cruises sound so good - what a brilliant way to visit Australia, I really like the sound of that. As well as your method of research and fund picking, good for you :beer:
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Next one is in February, on Aurora. It's the 'big' one, and will fulfil my lifetime dream of going to Australia. Will have to start making a plan of action soon, as I'll need a new passport and need to make sure we have all visas etc. Plus work out how we can pack for 6 weeks with one case each!

When the sun shines, and we have the back door open the atmosphere of the day is so much nicer when we can go in and out of the garden when we want.

When the weather is dull and wet, it feels very different. I always find something to do, but it sometimes feels 'wrong' to be cooped up in the house. I like being home, but it's much better in the good weather.

As for investment advice....

I started off looking at the Monevator site, to get a feel for how to make up a portfolio.

When I started looking at funds, it was overwhelming as there are so many.

In the end, the best place was the Hargreaves Landsdown site, in the pensions and retirement section. They give sample portfolios, and I ended up putting my own together, half way between 'conservative' and 'medium risk' by mixing and matching funds and adjusting the percentages. I did it over a few days as it was a bit mind blowing!

Good luck with it, as it's a big task, but I felt happier doing it myself rather than getting an IFA involved
    Hi Goldie

So pleased you had a good trip - sounds lovely.

Your investments sound very good - and I think you are very brave doing it yourself - but I think I will be the same.

Good to see you popping back on here - miss your posts.

MCI
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport