Groupon - non fulfilled voucher - refund in Groupon credits!

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I don't understand why MSE repeatedly push their 'offers'. I would not want to be associated with them in a professional capacity.

I think this is unfair, this is meant to be a money saving forum and thanks to Groupon I have managed to get numerous deals in Manchester that have saved me a fortune. Some of the restaurant deals are fantasic. I had some concerns over Wonderfeet however that has been sorted now and I put more of the blame on wonderfeet than Groupon. As far as I can see Groupon manage to produce at least a deal a day for most major cities in the UK and most of the deals work seamlessly. Obviously one or two companies try and pull a fast one however that can always happen, i've had similar problems with hi-life cards where restaurants have tried to weasle out of the discounts.

I don't work for Groupon and have no affiliation with them but I believe some of the best deals available these days have been via GROUPON, missing out on deals because of one or two complaints from a vocal minority is just cutting of your nose to spite your face!
  • bmoo
    bmoo Posts: 9 Forumite
    Hello All

I have had a nightmare morning with Groupon.

Yesterday, myself and 3 friends bought 2 spa days for Oulton Hall (2 persons per booking). My friends booking went through ok and initially I thought mine had, checked my bank, money had been taken, fantastic cant wait!!

So this morning I ahve received an email saying my order has been cancelled as there was a problem with payment!!! Thats funny as the payment of £79 left my account yesterday!!!

So now I am £79 out of pocket, there contact number doesnt work, they have a backlog of emails so how the heck am I supposed to resolve my query???

I have phoned Oulton Hall this morning and they cannot help me whatsoever as its nothing to do with them!!

This seems so wrong to me, they have taken my money, cancelled my booking and now cannot be contacted!!

Can anyone advise me where I can take my complaint to as I am fuming??? Did someone mention Consumer Direct?? Is the best place to take my complaint further?

Help meeee im so angry x:mad:
  • I'm surprised at all the negative feedback for Groupon as I've always found them very good. I'm glad I popped over here though as I wasn't aware that they now give account credits rather than refunds. I have saved a fortune on beauty treatments, but like everything you have to research the suppliers before buying the vouchers. I've had a couple of 'average' experiences, but also some fantastic ones. Who said moneysaving was a smooth ride?!?!!?
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • I bought 2 falconry experience vouchers for myself and my boyfriend, however I have unexpectedly developed achilles tendonitis so I can't stand or walk around their bird place for 3 hours! Contacted Groupon and they said if I didn't use the voucher befor the date it ran out (8th Feb) that I may be able to get a refund in credits.

What do people think? Should I accept a refund in credits? I don't really want a refund in credits as it's over £50! but I understand that it's my fault (or my body's) that I can't fulfill the deal....Any advice is gratefully recieved!

I've onyl used one other voucher from there but I was satisfied with that transaction and the customer service I received.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    You have no rights to any refund, so their offer to give you a refund by way of a credit for future purchases is a good one.
  • thank you, yes i thought it was decent but would rather have cash obviously lol, but credit is still a good offer. thinking of phoning bird place and seeing if I can use voucher before 8th feb, to book a bird experience day AFTER the 8th... we'll see!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Genuine question, do they show different offers to different people? I've been signed up to the Manchester list for quite a while and never seen a decent offer. None have been for restaurants, they've all been for beauty treatments etc in places I've never heard of! All sound dodgy as well, e.g. a spa that's supposedly in the city centre that I've never seen (usually in the Arndale), then a couple of weeks later an offer for a totally different spa in the Arndale, then later on a different spa in the Arndale... just how many spas are meant to be in there exactly?! It is the same dodgy business reopening with a different name every week or is it a con?

The previous deals page shows a few decent offers for places that do actually exist and are trustworthy but those offers have been up there since I joined and I've never seen an offer that good actually appear on the website or emailed out to me since I joined.

Nah theres nothing dodgy, they tend to have one deal a day and they're available to everyone. There tends to be a good restaurant deal on every 1 or 2 weeks, last week it was any two starters, any two mains and a glass of champagne each for Stock in Manchester, I can't remember the price but it was around £24 I think. Its a brilliant deal as Stock is great. I've also got really good deals for Zouk and Northern Quarter Restaurant. Todays deal is for that foot spa in the centre of the arndale. Don't think its dodgy as that place has been there for a while. However I don't fancy spending 40 minutes sat in the centre of the arndale so have given it a miss.

You just need to keep your eyes open and pounce when a good deal is on. I admit there is alot of dross but at least once a fortnight there is a deal worth signing up for.
  • leafy211 wrote: »
    can this be allowed?
    I recently purchased a Groupon voucher via my credit card, but the voucher has not been redeemable due to being unable to contact the company on the voucher.
    Groupon have agreed to refund the voucher - but by credit to my Groupon account, which is valid for only 6 months. Previously if a voucher was non-fulfillable, they credited my card.
    I dont want Groupon credits!
    Are they allowed to do this even though I have entered into an arrangement with them that they can no longer honour? Can they refund in their own credit system, rather than pay me back my money.
    Not only have they now changed their customer service number to a paying number (originally was 0800) but now trying to avoid refunding when they are unable to complete their side of the bargain.
    Why do all good things have to come to an end?

Similar thing happened to me, i bought the 7 day holiday to Morrocco, was unable to make a booking with the hotel so decided to cancel. Groupon refunded me in credits (£508) contacted their rep on here as telephone number still not available. She rang me within 5 minutes, apologized, full refund back to my paypal account and £25 groupon credit for my trouble=faith restored in Groupon. The Terms and Conditions do not state refunds are in groupon credits so not a leg to stand on really. Hope this helps:j
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    I have had mixed experiences with Groupon too. Some offers have been good, and it is a nice opportunity to try out something new. However, I have had some issues regarding a provider not honouring the voucher (sold too many) which I had to get refunded (annoying, since I had made a bargain!) Based on my experience with another provider I am not confident that the "before" price is always correct? I may try the groupon MSE rep email address, since I have emailed groupon weeks ago and still no reply.

There are many other posts on other threads, so I would love to see the MSE groupon rep respond to these as well :-)
  • I ordered the tooth whitening kit on 23rd Jan and havent received anything, nor have I had a reply to my emails to the whitening company. Have emailed the mse email address and will see what happens. I am still reeling from a very sour and costly online shopping experience so am a bit paranoid about this one!
    Im knitty, Im nutty, but I dont know anyone called Nora. :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport