PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Plastic storage pots - customising ...

OK, so as part of the displacement therapy while waiting for my son's A2 results, I am starting to throw into a box things he'll find useful at Uni. And this includes some strong plastic storage pots, formerly filled with pasta sauces etc. So they'll be airtight, microwavable and freezable.

But I can't get the labels off. In some cases they are 'plasticised' or printed on, but sometimes they're just stuck on so tight you can't get anywhere with them. Soaking does nothing.

I had wondered about spraying the outside with acrylic paint (we've got some from his model-making days), but then I thought about the microwave and wasn't sure ...

So I'd welcome other bright ideas for leaving them in a state where he can - if he so chooses - write on them what's in them! Are sticky labels the only way to go? And does anyone do biggish ones which will stay stuck on so he doesn't have to keep finding a new one?
Signature removed for peace of mind

Comments

• r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    not sure if this will be much help or not!

avery do 'free smples' of lables - check out the freebies board. They aren't great in the freezer on plastic, but I find they are fine on foil.

otherwise, you can make glue out of water and flour - this might work and could go in a microwave I am sure.

good luck - I hope the EXAM results are good!
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Rebob
    Rebob Posts: 1,010
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Have you tried using a brillo type pad? I save all the take away cartons from ourselves and family. These are clear so you can see what is inside. They are also suitable for the microwave. Similar ones in the shops are £1 - £2 for 6!!!! Post which part of the country you are in and someone might have some they can pass on.

HTH
    The best bargains are priceless!!!!!!!!!! :T :T :T
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Rebob wrote:
    Have you tried using a brillo type pad? I save all the take away cartons from ourselves and family. These are clear so you can see what is inside. They are also suitable for the microwave. Similar ones in the shops are £1 - £2 for 6!!!! Post which part of the country you are in and someone might have some they can pass on.

HTH
    Thanks Rebob, I already have some takeaway containers but don't find them as good, lids tend not to be as leakproof. Haven't tried brillo yet, seems a bit like hard work but I guess it's worth a try ...
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Agapanthus
    Agapanthus Posts: 263 Forumite
    The glued on labels would probably respond to a solvent. Petrol (or lighter fuel) would probably dissolve the glue.

The printed ones might be shifted by acetone (nail varnish remover).

I'm not sure how ecologically friendly re-using the containers then becomes, though!
    If we are supposed to be thin, why does chocolate exist?
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Ambassador
    A word of caution........do a test spot with a cotton bud dipped in acetone or nail varnish remover first........you might find that it destroys the plastic surface.:eek:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    MrsB wrote:
    I have SO got to get to Lakeland. Ah, have just found that I can get a cheap day return to Cardiff (my nearest, which also has a clearance section, I believe!) on the train for less than £10, so I can threaten my DH that I either need a lift there where he can supervise my spending, or I'll go on my own!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    Agapanthus wrote:
    The glued on labels would probably respond to a solvent. Petrol (or lighter fuel) would probably dissolve the glue.

The printed ones might be shifted by acetone (nail varnish remover).

I'm not sure how ecologically friendly re-using the containers then becomes, though!
    Yup, that's my worry too! Plus we tend not have too many solvents in the house, and when I start making funny smells I get into trouble.

I think I'm going with the labels lower down the page so far ...
  • MrsB_2
    MrsB_2 Posts: 659 Forumite
    Lakeland do a FAB mail order service... that way you can buy what you like, unsupervised, and still save the train fare :T

BTW - free delivery if you spend about £35.00 and if you spend a bit more (about £45.00) you get to chose a free gift. So if there's lots you want / need I'd go with mail order. ;)
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are – Milton Berle
  • Savvy_Sue
    Forumite
    MrsB wrote:
    Lakeland do a FAB mail order service... that way you can buy what you like, unsupervised, and still save the train fare :T

BTW - free delivery if you spend about £35.00 and if you spend a bit more (about £45.00) you get to chose a free gift. So if there's lots you want / need I'd go with mail order. ;)
    Oh I know about their mail order, but I don't really NEED £35 worth of stuff ... I don't know though, I've just ordered a new bread machine, my old one wasn't big enough to take 'standard' bread mix packets, maybe I could manage it ...

On the other hand, I've never been on a shopping spree to Cardiff, and there is a bargain basement there, and ...

It's so hard, isn't it?

Actually I don't think my DH will let me go on my own in case I feel ill (I'm off sick for a few weeks, I'm allowed to potter around but not supposed to overdo it).

I'll head over to the Wales board and ask about good bookshops in Cardiff! That'll tempt him! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport