HMV false advertising

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    bluenoseam wrote: »
    Because they no doubt had alternative bundles in stock - Wii U as far as I'm aware comes as basic package & premium package, most likely they had one but not the other. Not being able to order one for when they come in is standard practice particularly as there will be no clear indication as to when the stock will arrive.

Seriously your complaining about something which is a non-issue - basic fact is that Nintendo had 40,000 units of Wii U stock available for sale in the UK for launch. Between you & me that's a stupidly low amount of stock & does nothing but increase the hype while causing numerous headaches.

Or perhaps you'd prefer HMV to accept an order giving you false hope your kids would get one for Christmas only for them to be the big bad company when they can't deliver stock?
    Nope - they had none of the bundles in stock, and none on order.
    The issue is that they were advertising in shop items that they plain and simple were not offering for sale, at all (we can't sell you one today, we have none due to come in, and you can't order one).
    And I never said anything about false hope, Christmas, or anything.
    I'll go elsewhere, of course.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,150 Forumite
    I've also tried ringing a couple of other nearby HMV shops, to see if they have stock, but they don't answer the phone.

I've tried to give them around £400 of my business, but they don't seem to want it.

I guess I'll go elsewhere then.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Chances are the likes of Nintendo, Apple etc don't produce enough units on purpose, because you want what you can't have, eh?
  • I bought my Wii in Germany during the "UK shortage" for a similar price.
    They also had Harry Potter Lego, Wii boards and other short supply stuff in plenty of supply along the years.
    This year we saw a Furbys for EUR50 :)
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    I've also tried ringing a couple of other nearby HMV shops, to see if they have stock, but they don't answer the phone.

I've tried to give them around £400 of my business, but they don't seem to want it.

Right I'm not quite sure if you know this, but in 19 days there's this little festival/holiday thing called "CHRISTMAS" for most retail stores this happens to be their PEAK TRADING PERIOD. Having been in an HMV stockroom at Christmas I can tell you upwards of 100 phone calls a day will come into a small shop. As you can imagine that takes someone time to stop working & answer the phone as well as answer the question - I assure you, 100 phone calls you'll probably find 99 of those phone calls were pointless! (think along the lines of "do you have the new Kelly Clarkson CD in stock?" and you'll be close).

When it comes to a certain point in the year they cannot spare staff to act like receptionists when every member of staff in there is up to their eyes in customers & work that needs doing. The stockrooms are filled with items coming in which all needs to be sorted out 15 minutes ago as your CD guy needs a list of stock that he's given you that morning. I know it's difficult to understand but common sense should tell you that when things are the way they are at Christmas "normal service" is impossible!

If you were REALLY that fussed about it, you had months to pre-order the console - sorry to sound like a jerk but you're expecting them to bend over backwards because you're spending £400?
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

They don't need it. Famously they've sold out of them ;)
  • Svenena
    Svenena Posts: 1,450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I assure you, 100 phone calls you'll probably find 99 of those phone calls were pointless! (think along the lines of "do you have the new Kelly Clarkson CD in stock?" and you'll be close).

Sorry for being dim, but I don't understand why this is a pointless question?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite

Sounds like the store isnt at fault tbut rather HO or whoever was in charge of ordering the stock ( they might have been told you have x amount of Wii U by the guys at Nintendo )
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Right I'm not quite sure if you know this, but in 19 days there's this little festival/holiday thing called "CHRISTMAS" for most retail stores this happens to be their PEAK TRADING PERIOD. Having been in an HMV stockroom at Christmas I can tell you upwards of 100 phone calls a day will come into a small shop. As you can imagine that takes someone time to stop working & answer the phone as well as answer the question - I assure you, 100 phone calls you'll probably find 99 of those phone calls were pointless! (think along the lines of "do you have the new Kelly Clarkson CD in stock?" and you'll be close).

When it comes to a certain point in the year they cannot spare staff to act like receptionists when every member of staff in there is up to their eyes in customers & work that needs doing. The stockrooms are filled with items coming in which all needs to be sorted out 15 minutes ago as your CD guy needs a list of stock that he's given you that morning. I know it's difficult to understand but common sense should tell you that when things are the way they are at Christmas "normal service" is impossible!

If you were REALLY that fussed about it, you had months to pre-order the console - sorry to sound like a jerk but you're expecting them to bend over backwards because you're spending £400?

In which case taking down the advert that the OP saw (or even putting an 'out of stock' label on it) would have saved a good deal of the staffs precious time.

HMV have been badly run for years. If it's so busy that the staff can't cope, get extra staff in to help. You'll sell more, and make more money. Every other business can manage that.
  • JamesK10
    JamesK10 Posts: 407 Forumite
    fozmcfc wrote: »
    Mind you this sort of things has been going on for years. I remember my mum, having to try a dozen or more shops to find one which had a ZX81 in stock, back in 1982.

Nintendo have also been pulling this deliberate shortage crap since the days of the NES, as well as CEX selling the Wii for double the RRP I remember the episode of some consumer programme, probably Watchdog, where they reported the amount of stock every other continental European country had of the original Wii compared to the UK. Relatives of mine copied Nomoneytoday and bought from Germany for the original Wii.

It's not HMV's (or Game's or any other UK retailer's) fault, despite the rubbish service the OP received being squarely down to the shop, that shop is dealing with a nightmare manufacturer and supplier that likes to artificially hike the demand level before Christmas for everything they sell, especially when brand new.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure