PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how do I roast pork???omg im dim!!lol

Hi, I would like to think I am a good cook as I can turn my hand to just about everything. HOWEVER...lol.... I cannot roast meat! I can roast a chicken but cannot cook a joint of meat for the life of me.

I have tried all manner of suggestions. I have put in a dry tin, I have covered it, I have put water in the tin, I have cooked slow.

I have two big chunks of pork shoulder which will be turned into roast pork sarnies tommorow(hopefully) Now I would like these to not be like chewing car tyres and need your help.

How do I do it? I have a gas oven and was planning on cooking it very low and slow. Do I cover tin?(I dont have foil so cannot do that tonight,,lol) Do I put water in tin?

Can I slow cook it??

It needs to be cooked for no later than half past 11 tommorow as I need to take it to the place its intended for. If I can slow cook it then I can take cookers with me and it can have until approx half 3pm.

I have no idea what im doing!! Why oh why didnt I stick to the good ol' reliable chilli??lol.
May £10 a day challenge
£19.61/£310
Ebay challenge...£12.61/£200

Comments

• tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    shoulder is a nice cut to cook slow in a low oven so i cant see why it shouldnt work in slow cooker - i dont have one myself, but suspect that to cook it overnight you would need some liquid! i am sure slow cooker owners would advise. suggest a little cider or apple juice.
    if you do it in normal oven - i would suggest you weigh each joint and give it 25 mins a pound plus a good half hour over. and cook at gas 4. if joint has skin on then lightly oil the skin and sprinkle with a little salt for nice crispy crackling. if skin off - leave it bare until about ten mins before it comes out then spread some honey and or brown sugar over to make a glaze (this is how i do it and its delish - noone refuses the fatty layer!)
  • Thanks. They both weigh 2.2kg and have a potential cracking layer on top of each.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 October 2009 at 9:22PM
    Hi notlongnow,

If it's to be sliced for sandwiches it will slice much better from cold so I would roast it this evening if you can.

Put the meat into a preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes at gas mark 9. Then turn down the heat to between gas mark 3 and 4 and cook for 45 minutes per pound. You can cook it covered with foil or not if you are prepared to drain off the juices every half hour or so, otherwise it can make a terrible mess of the oven.. When the meat is cooked let it rest out of the oven for 20 minutes to allow the meat to relax.

Edit: I've ust seen your previous post. If it has crackling cook it uncovered and don't put water anywhere near it. The skin will need to be as dry as possible. Make lots of slits in the skin with a sharp knife to let some of the fat drain away so that it will be nice and crisp. Just before putting into the oven sprinkle some salt onto the skin.

A slow cooker can dry out pork if cooked for too long so if you choose that method do keep an eye on it and again try to allow it to rest and go cold before you slice it.

There are more recipes on these threads that may help:

how to cook boneless shoulder of pork?

Pork Joint In Slow Cooker

Pink
  • Im going to put one in the oven now...............wish me luck!lol.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
  • tandraig
    tandraig Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    hun - if you want nice really crisp crackling - turn the oven up to 8 or 9 for last half hour - but you got really big joints so you may not need to. have cooked a big shoulder of pork at gas 4 for nearly 4 hours and the crackling was lovely. but - just make sure the joint is cooked not overcooked. an hour before you calculate it should be ready test the joint by inserting a sharp knife - if juices bloody leave the hour - if they are just pinkish - may be ready in half hour - if juices clear - its done! a lot depends you see on the quality of pork - your own oven temp and probably whether venus is in right quarter of universe!!! seriously i have known same weight of meat vary in cooking time by as much as an hour so always start testing meat with knife earlier than cooking time says.
  • notlongnow_2
    notlongnow_2 Posts: 694 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2009 at 11:51PM
    I calculated it to be done at half 11, I looked at it about 10mins ago and it has crackling!WOOHOO. Ill go do the sharp knife test now.

EDIT: stabbed it with a knife....light pink juice. Whacked the heat up to finish my PERFECT crackling.

Will leave it ten mins and check again.
    May £10 a day challenge
    £19.61/£310
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business