PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Turkey Bolegnese?

Options
I usually make a huge pot of spag bol once a month and then freeze it into portions.

For some reason (trying to be healthy I guess), I bought 1kg of turkey mince a while ago and it is in my freezer.

What will spag taste like if I use my normal 1kg of beef mince mixed 1kg turkey mince? Or should I not even attempt it? I don't think bf would like spag bol made entirely with turkey mince.
Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
(End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
(End 2022) - Target £116,213.81

Comments

• misscousinitt
    Options
    Hi

I quite often make turkey spag bol and OH actually prefers it as parts of a lasagne!

All I would say is make sure that you season it very well and add lots of herbs as it can be a bit bland otherwise. When you have cooked it just taste and season till it tastes right...

Good luck.

A
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you very much for that.

Is it a no-no then to mix the two different minces together?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Woofles
    Woofles Posts: 1,249 Forumite
    Options
    this any help

http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/recipes/recipes/recipe.127.shtml

I'm going to try and do the turkey pie later.
    Woofles you need to get out of that house. You are going insane:eek: - colinw

apologises for spelling mistakes - google toolbar and I have had a hissy fit and I've lost me spell checker.
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 October 2009 at 2:43PM
    Options
    I have made bolognese (sp?) sauce with just turkey mince, and it's very ... OK. :confused::p Beef's definitely better!

I'm honestly not sure how it would work if you mixed the two together - I've never tried it. If you do decide to go for it, please let me know how it works as you've got me intrigued now!

If you're just looking for a use for your turkey mince, then it does make very nice burgers, particularly with the addition of a blob of curry paste - it's probably marginally healthier than a beef burger, too. :)

Aargh - cross posting again! misscousinitt - thanks for that - that's probably what I did wrong as I defnitely found it a bit bland.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's absolutely reason why you can't mix the two meats. Your bolognese will taste less beefy and more turkey-y.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    Options
    I often use turkey or pork mince in bolognaise, as my local sains often has it reduced ;). I just add a beef stock cube or two (depending on amount of mince) or you could add some beef gravy powder if you want it a bit more red meaty.
    And I agree with thriftlady - there's no reason not to mix the minces.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • misskool
    misskool Posts: 12,832 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A proper italian bolognaise (according to my mate from Naples) is made with half beef half pork so you can mix the mince. However, with turkey it will be a bit more bland.
  • misscousinitt
    misscousinitt Posts: 3,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 31 October 2009 at 9:42AM
    Options
    Pollyanna24 - I agree with misskool - I've made the 'ragu' recipe from Floyd on Italy and its half beef, half pork, no reason why turkey shouldn't work just as well.

CCP - no problem - glad to be of assistance
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2009 at 10:09AM
    Options
    I do Turkey Mince in Chilli along with 'mixed beans' (using dried beans that have been soaked overnight, rinsed, boiled for 15 mins - to kill any toxins in Kidney Beans - and simmered for an hour) before putting into the SlowCooker with the browned mince, softenened onions/garlic/spices, sliced peppers, mushrooms, tinned chopped tomatoes, herbs and black pepper - I don't add salt as it's supposed to make pulses hard. Let people put their own salt on when served :).

If you use tinned mixed beans, the whole thing can be done on the hob. Brown the turkey mince and remove from the pan. Soften the onions and garlic in spices (cayenne/chilli/paprika) till translucent, add the sliced peppers and mushrooms and put the turkey mince back in the pan. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, drained mixed beans, herbs and pepper. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for about 30-40mins. You can add chicken stock cube and adjust the thickness of the sauce to suit your tastes.

When I do this, I use 250gms of turkey mince and it serves 2 adults with some left over for freezing to put with jacket spuds on another day.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    I switched to turkey mince - we didn't like it at all. I do like turkey though, in sandwiches and stuff. It just wasn't nice in a bolognaise.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure