This for 30 years....?

Comments

• Yes very much so.

The job itself is ok, but even if I did something I thoroughly enjoyed I would probably stop enjoying it due to the quantity of hours I spend there. It's all very well saying you have as much leisure time in a day as work time, but as far as I'm concerned lunchtime and commuting time are working hours, I might not be working but I'm doing what I'm doing because I'm at work.

I think another thing though is having to work to simply exist. When I started working part time as a student it was simple, a few hours of boredom gave you money to have a few hours of fun. Now its a whole week of boredom means you can now keep a roof over your head for another week.

I've always liked the thought of early retirement, still do. However I have a relative who's nearing 80 and still works and I thought he was mad, but he doesn't have an awful lot to do at work, only does 2 days a week and it pays him more than a pension would, so actually it doesn't sound too bad.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 January 2018 at 12:35PM
    Why "help"? It's just as much his responsibility as yours even if he has fewer hours available.

I'm sorry to sound negative but if you want a better work life balance and more time to yourself, starting your own business is likely to be the absolutely worst thing to do.

I think you got me mixed up - I don't intend to start my own business.

Re childcare. I don't use all my leave for childcare. There are so many school holidays it would be impossible. I'm lucky we have flexible working so if I accrue a few extra hours then take a day or half a day off. Up to 14 a year so I might plan how to take off half a day each month.

I really wish I'd known at a younger age what I wanted to do! I'd love to enjoy my job and work my way up. Never had the urge to do a particular thing though (apart from vet medicine but I lack the brains!) I'd still consider retraining if I knew, but I just lack ideas.

Marrying well! That's funny! I could technically stay at home but I think both my husband and I would wonder what for when I may as well earn and further improve our situation.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I think you got me mixed up - I don't intend to start my own business.

Re childcare. I don't use all my leave for childcare. There are so many school holidays it would be impossible. I'm lucky we have flexible working so if I accrue a few extra hours then take a day or half a day off. Up to 14 a year so I might plan how to take off half a day each month.

I really wish I'd known at a younger age what I wanted to do! I'd love to enjoy my job and work my way up. Never had the urge to do a particular thing though (apart from vet medicine but I lack the brains!) I'd still consider retraining if I knew, but I just lack ideas.

Marrying well! That's funny! I could technically stay at home but I think both my husband and I would wonder what for when I may as well earn and further improve our situation.

Apologies, I did muddle you with someone else on the question of self employment. (Although I didn't mention "marrying well" either, it isn't a concept that would even cross my mind.😀)
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    If you are going to 'marry well', it will come with its own set of problems. The husband knows the wife is in it for what he can provide, the wife know the husband is in it for the xxx.

The wife usually has to have bodily assets to match the husbands material assets. Naturally, the bodily assets decrease in value on daily basis thanks to age while material assets tend to increase in value with age, when value is depleted, infidelity and divorce comes knocking.

Marry for love, not assets, dont consider it a loss or missed opportunity not doing the latter. If you marry someone you love and they happen to wealthy (It happens) then awesome.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Definitely feeling this too...although ive probably got another 50+ years left...

i work 2 jobs, so just sat and worked out how long i actually spend doing work related stuff (inc commute) and per week i spend 58.5hrs working or commuting, and 19 hours at home - not asleep.

Thats pretty depressing. i know i need to make a change but having only recently moved into this new and apparently normal job, and now having a mortgage to contend with, im not sure how id do it without ending up in financial or mental ruin.
  • Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bugslet wrote: »
    Control when you work? Doubt it.

No idea what you have in mind, but say you were a personal trainer, you'll turn up when your client wants you to. If you're a graphic designer, you'll work to a deadline and if it isn't 'right', you'll do it again. Of course there are jobs where you can work to hour own schedule more than other jobs, but you will still have a boss aka a client, and you will work to their timetable.

Not necessarily. I have a second job as a Personal Trainer and my classes and clients are booked in when i want, not when is good for them. ive never had anyone leave because i said i wasnt going to get up at 5:30 on a sunday morning :rotfl:

you may feel it will limit your success and financial potential, but i think it has less of an impact than youd imagine. Working a few hours youd rather not now and then is much nicer than working hours you have to in a job you really hate, because you're "expected" to.
  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Close to home, pays OK but during the week I have no time for anything.

Please elaborate on this. On the assumption you're doing a 9 to 5, if you're close to home, you get home ... 6? 6.30?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    What hours does he work?

You need to look at the overlaps of work and free time
    he is gone from 6am to 8pm

14hrs

You should be able to squeeze a full time job in as well as keeping house.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Katapolt wrote: »
    Not necessarily. I have a second job as a Personal Trainer and my classes and clients are booked in when i want, not when is good for them. ive never had anyone leave because i said i wasnt going to get up at 5:30 on a sunday morning :rotfl:

you may feel it will limit your success and financial potential, but i think it has less of an impact than youd imagine. Working a few hours youd rather not now and then is much nicer than working hours you have to in a job you really hate, because you're "expected" to.

I think it was the original post that inferred working for yourself meant working to your own schedule. You might not have to get up at 5. 30, but likewise you can't decide that you don't fancy turning up for a class when there's a dozen people expecting you. We self-employed people still have bosses:p

In my world, a customer says they want a pallet in Aberdeen at 08.00, then you get your bottom out of bed at 03.00, because if you don't, you don't get a second chance.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Does anyone else feel a bit down faced with the prospect of working for the next 20,30,40 years?

Feel like life is passing me by.

And then you die.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills