Rubbish Kia Warranty - pay to check symptom.

Comments

• movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Have you tried with a different dealer?

Usually clutch is a wear & tear item. But if there is any manufacturing fault then it should be replaced under warranty.

Next time buy an automatic :D
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    ?

Its back to the situation whereby if you have the car in bits and the clutch plate on the bench then you're approx 50% of the way to replacing the clutch anyway.

You might save a bit on the labour by having a third party do it then taking the part to your local KIA dealer and then them maybe raise a case with KIA, have them process it and make a decision.

And is your local indie going to be happy with the car taking up a ramp maybe for several days until the dealer / KIA do that?
    In that situation it'd be down to the indy mechanic - if they think there's a case for a warranty repair, that can be documented and raised if Kia dispute it, then the parts reassembled and the vehicle taken to Kia.

If there's wear/indy says unlikely to be a successful warranty, instruct them to replace it at the previously agreed cost. It would be a significant saving as opposed to paying the dealer then praying that the warranty claim goes through. As we know, manufacturers are like insurance firms - they'll use every trick to get out of paying a claim as they know the majority of consumers won't go to court over it.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Crabman wrote: »
    In that situation it'd be down to the indy mechanic - if they think there's a case for a warranty repair, that can be documented and raised if Kia dispute it, then the parts reassembled and the vehicle taken to Kia.
    ...then pay the indy garage for the work they've done. Meanwhile, Kia will take a look and say "Hold on, this has been taken apart recently outside the dealer chain. Warranty claim refused."
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 July 2017 at 8:06AM
    On thing I've noticed about my Hyundai i30 which is a clone of a certain Kia, is the complete lack of feel in the clutch. I've never owned a car before where it so difficult to guage a hill start correctly so I I've always had to rev and slip it on a hill start to avoid stalling. Whenever I rent cars on holiday they're easier to drive in this respect, Ford Fiestas being particularly good.

In all other aspects the Hyundai and work under its warranty has been great. But before ever buying one again I'll carefully research if they're redesigned the clutch action.

Oh, and as a comparison a previous Vauxhall went to scrappage at 130,000 miles with a perfect, never changed clutch.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 6,966
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    buglawton wrote: »
    On thing I've noticed about my Hyundai i30 which is a clone of a certain Kia, is the complete lack of feel in the clutch. I've never owned a car before where it so difficult to guage a hill start correctly so I I've always had to rev and slip it on a hill start to avoid stalling. .

Try driving a Clio, about 2003 ish. The clutch is like a switch, no drive at all until the last 2mm of travel before your foot leaves the pedal, and they are all like it according to the forums.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    facade wrote: »
    Try driving a Clio, about 2003 ish. The clutch is like a switch, no drive at all until the last 2mm of travel before your foot leaves the pedal, and they are all like it according to the forums.
    Must be a small French car thing. I had a Saxo for a bit, bought as an emergency buy one Christmas. I actually liked it, even if it was a bit small, but the clutch was horrible as you describe, and a new cable didn't fix it. Late MIL's Peugeot 106 was similar.
  • These kind of warranties should not sway your decision on what car to buy, you have to use their dealers otherwise its void, and when you do it costs you a small fortune.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Forumite
    Crabman wrote: »

If there's wear/indy says unlikely to be a successful warranty, instruct them to replace it at the previously agreed cost. It would be a significant saving as opposed to paying the dealer then praying that the warranty claim goes through. As we know, manufacturers are like insurance firms - they'll use every trick to get out of paying a claim as they know the majority of consumers won't go to court over it.

Great

And until such times as the KIA dealer / KIA UK agree its a fault, and then maybe another day or two for part to arrive, the car is going to be in bits on the indies ramp? Plus who takes the bits from the indie to the dealer and pics it up? More time and money....

Manufacturers WONT use every trick to avoid paying out, they want happy, repeat customers, however they will want to know its an actual fault, rather than wear and tear.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Forumite
    These kind of warranties should not sway your decision on what car to buy, you have to use their dealers otherwise its void, and when you do it costs you a small fortune.

I thought the only - if any - requirement was for it to be serviced by the main dealer?

I'd be getting any other non servicing work done by an indie. We did that with my sons BMW. Serviced by the BMW main dealer, however MOT work and maintenance done by a local mechanic.

It'll be the same with our 2016 Passat. Servicing and warranty work by the franchised dealer, wear and tear and general maintenance by a local mechanic.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I thought the only - if any - requirement was for it to be serviced by the main dealer?
    Not even that. Serviced to manufacturer spec, using manufacturer-quality parts.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback