Motorists, what to do about cyclists who constantly break the high way code???

Comments

• Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Wow, that is a shocking crash. I bet there were a few bruises.

Fortunately cars never crash into each other. Can you imagine the carnage if that were to ever happen.

Can't recall mentioning that cars never crash?

But it's interesting that the clip shows the cyclist in white riding in the 'primary position' when the overtaking cyclist passes much too closely. I thought the police were clamping down in cyclists being passed to closely? :cool:
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I live in an area of many narrow country roads, many bends & twists, but lots of cyclists! I'm always rather nervous about overtaking them on this type of road so will hang back quite a way so as not to crowd them. This results in other impatient, bullying drivers overtaking me, getting right up close to the cyclist between me and them, then overtaking really dangerously. Passing places are few are far between, with very few pavements for the cyclists to use for safety.

Personally, I generally have great respect for the cyclists - they are far braver than me to take to the roads on two wheels! Yes, there are those who jump lights etc., they are a nuisance, they are taking ridiculous risks but then not all car drivers are saints.
  • Tilt
    LadyDee wrote: »
    I live in an area of many narrow country roads, many bends & twists, but lots of cyclists! I'm always rather nervous about overtaking them on this type of road so will hang back quite a way so as not to crowd them. This results in other impatient, bullying drivers overtaking me, getting right up close to the cyclist between me and them, then overtaking really dangerously. Passing places are few are far between, with very few pavements for the cyclists to use for safety.

Personally, I generally have great respect for the cyclists - they are far braver than me to take to the roads on two wheels! Yes, there are those who jump lights etc., they are a nuisance, they are taking ridiculous risks but then not all car drivers are saints.

Agree totally. :T
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • LadyDee wrote: »
    I'm always rather nervous about overtaking them on this type of road so will hang back quite a way so as not to crowd them. This results in other impatient, bullying drivers overtaking me, getting right up close to the cyclist between me and them, then overtaking really dangerously.

A girl in a hatchback slowed down to patiently wait behind me when I was out on the bike once, but the car behind her was too impatient to realise that she was waiting for an oncoming car. The first thing I knew about anything was the screeching of brakes as he skidded to a halt beside me, bumper to bumper with the car coming the other way, and I disappeared in a cloud of smoke.
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 2:21PM
    Tilt wrote: »
    To be fair, I think the OP is only having a go at irresponsible cyclists.

This isn't the OP's first rant about cyclists though. I suspect trinidadone would actually like to be a cyclist but nobody ever taught him/her how to ride a bike. :(

As if drivers never go the wrong way up a one-way street. I am both a cyclist and a motorist, and I live on a one-way street. I've encountered a number of cars driving up it the wrong way whilst I'm on my bike because the drivers have somehow missed the "no entry" signs at the bottom of the road. Does this make all drivers bad drivers, no it doesn't.

When cycling in the dark I have (what I like to call) my rave jacket (fluorescent), lights front and back, a light on my helmet, and a fluorescent cover for my backpack. If people can't see me then they probably shouldn't be on the roads. I have seen a number of cycling ninjas when I'm out and about and if I get the opportunity to say something to them then I will because cycling at night in head-to-toe black without lights is the height of stupidity.

The vast majority of drivers are courteous and give me enough time and space when I'm on my bike but you do get the odd tit who undertakes on a right turn to then cut in front of my path, or races past when it's not safe to overtake only to slam their brakes on a few meters up the road at a red light. I'd like to put those drivers on a bike and make them cycle through traffic so they know what it feels like, just as I would like to put cycling ninjas behind the wheel of a car so that they can see how invisible and vulnerable they are at night. In fact cycling head-to-toe in black during the day isn't that sensible either....be bright, be seen is my motto.
  • Tilt
    jack_pott wrote: »
    A girl in a hatchback slowed down to patiently wait behind me when I was out on the bike once, but the car behind her was too impatient to realise that she was waiting for an oncoming car. The first thing I knew about anything was the screeching of brakes as he skidded to a halt beside me, bumper to bumper with the car coming the other way, and I disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

I've see a very similar incident myself but instead of a cyclist it was a horse. I was the in the car waiting behind the horse when the car behind had had enough and decided she (yes it was a woman) would overtake me AND the horse. She looked a right div when she had to stop due to the on-coming traffic and both horse and myself went slowly past her on her n/s!
    PLEASE NOTE
  • Tilt
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    This isn't the OP's first rant about cyclists though. I suspect trinidadone would actually like to be a cyclist but nobody ever taught him/her how to ride a bike. :(

As if drivers never go the wrong way up a one-way street. I am both a cyclist and a motorist, and I live on a one-way street. I've encountered a number of cars driving up it the wrong way whilst I'm on my bike because the drivers have somehow missed the "no entry" signs at the bottom of the road. Does this make all drivers bad drivers, no it doesn't.

When cycling in the dark I have (what I like to call) my rave jacket (fluorescent), lights front and back, a light on my helmet, and a fluorescent cover for my backpack. If people can't see me then they probably shouldn't be on the roads. I have seen a number of cycling ninjas when I'm out and about and if I get the opportunity to say something to them then I will because cycling at night in head-to-toe black without lights then I will.

The vast majority of drivers are courteous and give me enough time and space when I'm on my bike but you do get the odd tit who undertakes on a right turn to then cut in front of my path, or races past when it's not safe to overtake only to slam their brakes on a few meters up the road at a red light. I'd like to put those drivers on a bike and make them cycle through traffic so they know what it feels like, just as I would like to put cycling ninjas behind the wheel of a car so that they can see how invisible and vulnerable they are at night. In fact cycling head-to-toe in black isn't that sensible either....be bright, be seen is my motto.

Excellent post.

But can I ask if, in addition to the light on your helmet, you have a front light on your bike as well? I ask because just recently I have encountered a group of cyclists out in the sticks at night with only lights on their helmets at the front. Until I got nearer, i didn't recognise them as cyclists (thought there were on horses initially) and wondered in fact whether it is legal not to have a fixed front light on the bike itself?
    PLEASE NOTE
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 5:01PM
    Yesterday a cyclist just missed out on a Darwin award. Decided it was a good idea to go up the middle of 2 lanes of traffic just after the lights had turned green. Large vehicles in the left have to pull out to the right to get round the left corner and just after the junction the traffic in the right lane has to pull left to avoid the traffic coming the other way. Idiot just not reading the road, two pinch points and they failed to make allowance them !
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 October 2016 at 2:21PM
    Tilt wrote: »
    Excellent post.

But can I ask if, in addition to the light on your helmet, you have a front light on your bike as well? I ask because just recently I have encountered a group of cyclists out in the sticks at night with only lights on their helmets at the front. Until I got nearer, i didn't recognise them as cyclists (thought there were on horses initially) and wondered in fact whether it is legal not to have a fixed front light on the bike itself?

I have a front light on my bike, a back light on my bike as well as a light on my helmet that emits both a white light forwards and a red light backwards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure