Snow Tyres

scotty1971
scotty1971 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Just bought a car with 4 brand new Matador snow tyres on it,am i better to leave them on for the winter then change them in the spring?

thanks in advance

Scott

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Snow tyres or winter tyres?

I'd keep them on, swap them out come spring, swap them back next winter again.
    It's not going to cost anything to have two sets of tyres, you can only use one set at a time, so they last just as long (thought it'll feel like twice as long).
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • scotty1971
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Snow tyres or winter tyres?

I'd keep them on, swap them out come spring, swap them back next winter again.
    It's not going to cost anything to have two sets of tyres, you can only use one set at a time, so they last just as long (thought it'll feel like twice as long).

Sure it says snow tyres on them
  • Strider590 wrote: »

It will cost if they're not on their own wheels and you have to get someone else to change them.

As I drive to the Alps every winter I got a set of snow tyres on steel rims and change the wheels myself. Doesn't take long at all and costs me nothing.

As for timings, we're now in October so I'd probably leave them on unless you're really going to whack on the miles. Here in the south I'll leave putting mine on quite late, but keep an eye on the weather.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I have 2 sets of wheels and tyres and swap them over every 6 months when the time changes.

We've already had a couple of frosty nights so I'd keep those Matadors on - it's not worth taking them off as we turn the clocks back in a couple of weeks.

Get a set of Summer tyres next year for when the clocks go forward.
  • I think your locations may make a difference to your decision Iceweasel, but even from sunny 'Ampshire I'd agree. :-)
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Matador seem to list tyres as MP54 Sibir Snow or MP92 Sibir Snow but they describe them as winter tyres

and if it was me i would just run them until spring and then swap to summer tyres

I would keep an eye on e bay for a cheap set of alloys that way you just have to swap wheels rather than tyres
  • scotty1971
    force_ten wrote: »
    Matador seem to list tyres as MP54 Sibir Snow or MP92 Sibir Snow but they describe them as winter tyres

and if it was me i would just run them until spring and then swap to summer tyres

I would keep an eye on e bay for a cheap set of alloys that way you just have to swap wheels rather than tyres

So would i just look out for 16inch ford alloys?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    You could look for alloys, but my suggestion would be to buy a set of steel wheels (you may want some cheap wheel trims too, I bought my last lot in one of Aldi or Lidl) and in the spring put the Matadors onto the steelies and summer tyres onto the existing alloys, then just swap the sets in autumn and spring.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm assuming it's one of these - http://www.matador-tyres.co.uk/products-cWin.php
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For the UK I'd consider not putting on summer tyres but saving the money on a spare set of rims and simply having all season tyres, we rarely have extremes so rarely will you get the benefit of a full winter set, and the difference between summer and all season performance is low while they are still considered winter enough to get the mountain mark which means you can use them abroad in places and times where winter tyres are compulsory.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure