how do I know if my pc is doing something in the backgroud

Comments

• jshm2
    jshm2 Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It may seem a bit of obvious advice but have you done the TIOTIO (turn it off turn it on) routine?

If it's slow to shut down and start into Windows then you can be fairly certain something is running the background. If not then it could be your AV scanner working double time or a utility update. These are notorious in Lenovo and Toshiba machines as they have "helper utilities" that tend to cause more bother than they are worth.
  • jshm2 wrote: »
    It may seem a bit of obvious advice but have you done the TIOTIO (turn it off turn it on) routine?

I have tried both shutting it down and restarting it several times. It gets shut down every night, I don't leave it on.

I haven't switched it off at the socket on the wall, would that make a difference? I will give it a go, it can't hurt.

Its a Dell desktop
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,156 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you

I have check and my system has 8GB of memory, the page file is set at maximum 1920mb, is that ok? doesn't seem too high to me?

I have nothing in the recycle bin and hardy anything stored on the machine, it gets used mainly for internet browsing and my sons homework.

I already did a defrag it was one of the first things I tried, I will also do the disc clean as recommended.

Its is slightly better today but not back to before update speed yet, maybe if I give it more time it will sort itself out (heres hoping :)

Thank you again to those who have taken the time to help.
    My work laptop gets slower and slower (it's an i7 machine with 16 GB RAM!!!) and I have to do a disk check maybe every month.
  • jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Would you know what type of processor you have, is your PC older/newer? Also, when you have TaskManager open under Processes, can you see where all the resources are being grabbed and by what? (ie is it in CPU?)

I think if you click on the Start-up tab in TaskManager, it should show you a list of background processes that you can enable or disable by right-clicking on them. To the right should be a column headed Start-up impact, which indicates whether each process is high, medium or low. I wonder if these might be the background apps you've been getting notifications about? If you disable any with high impact, does this make your PC any faster?
  • jrtfan wrote: »
    Would you know what type of processor you have, is your PC older/newer? Also, when you have TaskManager open under Processes, can you see where all the resources are being grabbed and by what? (ie is it in CPU?)

I think if you click on the Start-up tab in TaskManager, it should show you a list of background processes that you can enable or disable by right-clicking on them. To the right should be a column headed Start-up impact, which indicates whether each process is high, medium or low. I wonder if these might be the background apps you've been getting notifications about? If you disable any with high impact, does this make your PC any faster?

Its Intel core i3-4150 CPU @3.50 GHz

It s about a year to year and half old, in PC terms that might be quite old but to me it is relatively new and I am expecting it to last me a good while yet, I am not bothered about new faster/better machines when they come out, just expect my current one to work as it did when purchased!

Task manager currently 32% memory, 5% CPU but if just sitting on desktop with everything shut its CPU only.

Will try closing down high impact start ups.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 September 2016 at 3:38PM
    I checked my disc and it said it was fine. no errors.

I left the machine on last night am trying that to see if it helps. I have been told that I shouldn't shut it down every night, I prefer to as I like to make sure must things are switch off before bed and its never been an issue before but maybe it will help if I leave it on?
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just out of curiosity, which A/V are you using (and have you got more than one running)?

From memory, Windows has one built-in and you shouldn't be running another one without ensuring the built-in one is switched off.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I left the machine on last night am trying that to see if it helps. I have been told that I shouldn't shut it down every night, I prefer to as I like to make sure must things are switch off before bed and its never been an issue before but maybe it will help if I leave it on?

It's better to turn your PC off when you're not using it, as it can use a fair bit of electricity otherwise.

And restarting it will make sure that any programs running will be closed -- which can be useful if some hidden application or service has crashed or malfunctioned.

I certainly wouldn't leave any PC on all the time.
  • jrtfan
    jrtfan Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 2 October 2016 at 1:08AM
    Its Intel core i3-4150 CPU @3.50 GHz

It s about a year to year and half old, in PC terms that might be quite old but to me it is relatively new and I am expecting it to last me a good while yet, I am not bothered about new faster/better machines when they come out, just expect my current one to work as it did when purchased!

Task manager currently 32% memory, 5% CPU but if just sitting on desktop with everything shut its CPU only.

Will try closing down high impact start ups.

My processor is only 1.60GHz, so yours is much faster - I was wondering if it might have been something to do with running Win10 with a slower processor, but obviously not.

My laptop is currently running at 3% CPU and 36% Memory with no desktop applications open, the same as yours.

I'm wondering if the problem might be with your router and/or your drivers.

1. Have you tried physically switching your router off (incl disconnecting the power cable), wait at least 10secs, reconnect all cables then switch on again? (Removing cables might help to discharge any static buildup which could potentially interfere with the WiFi signal - it's a long shot, but worth a go).

2. Do you use a range extender? Win10 users have reported some compatibility issues with certain manufacturers, try removing the range extender and trying your PC again.

3. Does turning off your PC's Bluetooth connection make any difference?

4. Try troubleshooting your network adapter (control panel - troubleshoot problems - network and sharing - network adaptor - advanced - run as administrator). Get it to check all connection, it'll probably report an Ethernet cable is missing or unplugged, but that's okay. Does it report any other issues?

5. Win10 is probably set up to check automatically for driver updates, but it's worth checking these yourself as well and downloading any later drivers if prompted (you should be able to check using Device Manager).

6. Is there any way you could get your PC close enough to the router to connect via Ethernet? It would be really useful to know if this makes a difference because it would narrow the possibilities down a lot.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I second the post by rmg1. What virus checker are you using and moreover, have you tried turning it off, then turning the pc off and on? Just for a short period of course, while you access whether your pc behaves better.

I also would like to find some sort of app that loads when I turn on the pc, or when I take it off standby and shows me what the pc is doing - cpu loading, hard disk access, wi-fi access etc. My new laptop has none of the visual indicators for these things that my previous laptop had.

I know I can use Task Manager for this but you have to open it yourself and it's held up loading by the very things you want to see details of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure