PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Slinky
Slinky Posts: 9,912
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 20 July 2017 at 1:10PM in Old style MoneySaving
Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us :j You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way. :)

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.:money::T
Make £2024 in 2024
Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,946
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    LOL - we have KM'd the old thread :p

Well done Slinky - there is far too much on the old thread to lose it.

I have kondoed the ironing onto my DD. I said i would pay her as she needs the money, I need it done, and none of the ironing is hers
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Always nice to have a fresh new thread! Here's hoping the gremlins are all done mind you!
    Must use my stash up!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    :D Wa-hey, a brand-new thread. Thanks, slinky!

I've just got my bike back from the repair shop (like the Bionic Man, parts of it have been rebuilt ;)). Very pleased.

This will mean that dump-running can continue (I have no car) and life will speed up a bit, particularly in respect of allotmenteering.

Decluttered a jam-jar of sugar to someone who will use it up in their tea, so that's one fewer item in the cupboard.

Have brought a book down off the To Be Read shelf and stuck it very prominently in front of me, as a declaration that I will read it next. I think Mum would enjoy it, too, so she can have it afterwards and then it can go to the chazzer.

Parents do their weekly outing to Big Market Town on a Weds, so instructed that they should be sure to take the big handknitted blanket to the chazzer today as I want to have room to sleep on the spare bed once I get over there, which will be in the next few weeks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks Slinky, good job!

Well DH came in last evening with a 32-pack of loo rolls 'cos they were on offer'. We live in a very small house so storage is a real issue. LBM - have taken the bath panel off and 20 rolls are now tucked under there :rotfl: The rest are under my desk!

As an aside, my work today (home help) included mending a necklace, spraying an ant nest, ringing the fire brigade (to get alarm they provided replaced because it is malfunctioning), booking an electrician, and repositioning a garden bench! Oh, well, at least it's never boring :)
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Extra insulation for your bath MMF!
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks Slinky. :j:j:j
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,669
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Wheeeeeeee! Gotta love a shiny new thread! :D
    x

(Much (charity) paperwork being sorted here - didn't realise *just* how much it was dragging me down. Sorting it - with a view to passing it on - is bringing much lightness :))
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • nat21luv
    nat21luv Posts: 3,434
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Oooh can I join please? I've been KM'ing for sometime now and each section/room looks great after I've done it but by the time I've done the whole house and get around to having a refresh, I've somehow accumulated more stuff. Having kids doesnt help! Im not looking forward to Friday when I get handed bags of artwork, books, models, pictures, forgotten tupperwear and scrap paper from my daughters tray at school. At least their tatty school uniform can go straight into the recycling bin :D

Is there a method or list you are following? I find it difficult to follow KM's method of doing a section at a time as a lots of the things aren't mine so obviously wont bring me joy. Apart from that, I follow her teachings.

My ultimate aim is to be more organised, tidy, live in a clean environment, have an easy to clean and minimalist environment and to love every item I own.
    £20k in 2023 = £2718 £2023 in 2023 = £196.41 Grocery challenge £250= £195.80 **MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Does anyone know how to shut down the old thread properly? We now have two threads running simultaneously.
  • Hello, I've listened to this book a few times on yo*tube while at work and think the general idea of it is great and I'm slowly trying to bring this into our life. Somehow all the clutter we have in our little home is mine, the other half only collects motorbikes and cars!! So I'm hoping that I can start making a big dent in everything. My only problem is house spiders, you know the big black ones! We have a room half full with boxes and the stuff when we first moved in and I'd love to start clearing this room but if I see one spider that's it sudden panic! Even when armed with the hover!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure