We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

The great, good and not so good bits about growing your own dinner 2017

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My (greenhouse) tomatoes are just starting to set. I was going to pick garlic scapes today, when I realised that the 'garlic' was actually radar onions. So after a quick google, they're coming off tomorrow and going in the lasagna. No sign of scapes on the actual hardneck garlic though.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • MissPop
    MissPop Posts: 948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Has anyone got any tips for keeping aphids off my salads? I've got a glut of spinach and cut and come again lettuce because every time I want to use them, I have to spend ages washing them and checking every leaf for the little @!?%$s! It's putting me right off :mad:

Make £2020 in 2020 - £263.78/£2020

2020 totals
    Swagbucks - £100 | Prolific Academic - £44.54 | Qmee - £10 | PopulusLive - £50

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi MissPop Aphids are a real problem and I'm also suffering from red mite in the greenhouse and lots of blackfly on the broadbeans and the artichokes. I've mixed up a batch of neem oil and given them a spray. I'll spray them again in 5 days and see how they go.

I also drop the lettuce in a bowl of salty water as soon as I get them home - that seems to get rid of them. Nothing worse than opening the fridge and finding the little blighters.

Growingwise things are doing very well. And I've only had to buy peppers and mushrooms this week. The tomatoes are all flowering and I've got lots of little cucumbers and the peas are lovely - had a whole cooked portion last night - also seeing some fruit setting on the squashes.
    I've grown a brassica called Brokali this and can highly recommend it. It's a cross between broccali and kale and it's very tender and sweet. Will grow again.

I've also re-sown the orientals and some French beans for succession. Just a question of keeping it going now.
  • MissPop
    Fruittea wrote: »
    Hi MissPop Aphids are a real problem and I'm also suffering from red mite in the greenhouse and lots of blackfly on the broadbeans and the artichokes. I've mixed up a batch of neem oil and given them a spray. I'll spray them again in 5 days and see how they go.

I also drop the lettuce in a bowl of salty water as soon as I get them home - that seems to get rid of them. Nothing worse than opening the fridge and finding the little blighters.

Growingwise things are doing very well. And I've only had to buy peppers and mushrooms this week. The tomatoes are all flowering and I've got lots of little cucumbers and the peas are lovely - had a whole cooked portion last night - also seeing some fruit setting on the squashes.
    I've grown a brassica called Brokali this and can highly recommend it. It's a cross between broccali and kale and it's very tender and sweet. Will grow again.

I've also re-sown the orientals and some French beans for succession. Just a question of keeping it going now.
    Ooh, I'd forgotten about neem oil, I'll have to give it a go! And I'd never heard of using salt water - sounds intriguing :D Thanks for the tips :D

2020 totals

• smeeinnit
    smeeinnit Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Salt water is also great for evicting any bugs on soft fruit :j
    Let's get ready to bumble! :rotfl:
  • MissPop
    smeeinnit wrote: »
    Salt water is also great for evicting any bugs on soft fruit :j

That's awesome - I think anything with a passenger is getting a salt water bath before it goes in my kitchen :rotfl:

2020 totals

• MissPop wrote: »
    That's awesome - I think anything with a passenger is getting a salt water bath before it goes in my kitchen :rotfl:

Judging by the three massive ginger slugs the Idiot Cat came in with attached to his coat last night (so the git's been thundering around the veggies again :mad:), maybe this should apply to anybody, as well as anything....
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • MissPop
    Judging by the three massive ginger slugs the Idiot Cat came in with attached to his coat last night (so the git's been thundering around the veggies again :mad:), maybe this should apply to anybody, as well as anything....

Hurrrgggghh! :eek: (I do love the sound of your Idiot Cat though :rotfl: )

I tried the salt water trick earlier and it worked a treat - I picked some lettuce and spinach for a BBQ salad and my (very non-greenfingered) sister was so impressed I'd grown it all! :D

I'm going to treat myself to a salad spinner tomorrow :rotfl:

2020 totals

• Fruittea
    Fruittea Posts: 956 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning Every
    The slugs are out in force aren't they. I always have problems but try to get around the worst of it by planting plenty of cheap lettuces around anything I want to protect and use them as a sacrifice. I also save all egg shells and bake them ( just leave them in the oven for 10 minutes when I'm cooking something else) then break them into tiny pieces and pile them up around plants. Seems to work quite well.

MissPop I have this salad spinner: https://www.amazon.co.uk/OXO-Good-Grips-Salad-Spinner/dp/B009KCFHAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497598752&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+salad+spinner

It's massive with a 26cm diameter but it has a really strong basket so you can collect veg in it and rinse it of and then fill the outer bowl for a salt soak and then drain and rinse the lot. It does take up a big space in the kitchen though.

Plenty of veg for me at the mo so I have only bought in tomatoes this week. I see the first toms on the plants in the greenhouse - so it wont be long until I have those to.

I'm really enjoying the artichokes - feeling quite posh having them for lunch as a starter. The gooseberries are just starting to ripen - I had some early ones yesterday - cooked for two minutes in the microwave with some sugar sprinkled over them and then mixed into some creme fresh. Really lovely!
    Happy growing.
  • tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Major score in Waitrose this morning, peas in lovely cane wigwam baskets previously £8 down to 99p I bought 4 pots with peas in them and two wigwam baskets that were empty (49 p). Bought them home gave the peas a good water and put Black-eye Susans in the other two- job's a good un!

I picked my first raspberries today plus plenty of strawberries and redcurrants.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure