Replacement item has developed the same fault.

First post so hi!
I have a Microsoft Elite gaming controller for Xbox One, it is a premium controller priced at £120 bought from Game uk. The controller was bought in November 2015 but developed a fault with one of the buttons 2 weeks out of it's manufacturers warranty. I contacted Game and after a lot of leg work and a Computer engineers report it was replaced under the Consumer Rights Act. The controller I got was a new unit and that was in December 2016. The new controller has developed the exact same fault which is a broken button. This one is obviously only 6 months old. I have spoken to Game and they told me they have fulfilled their obligation to me by replacing the original controller as a 'good will gesture'.
Where do I stand with this and where should I go next?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    First post so hi!
    I have a Microsoft Elite gaming controller for Xbox One, it is a premium controller priced at £120 bought from Game uk. The controller was bought in November 2015 but developed a fault with one of the buttons 2 weeks out of it's manufacturers warranty. I contacted Game and after a lot of leg work and a Computer engineers report it was replaced under the Consumer Rights Act. The controller I got was a new unit and that was in December 2016. The new controller has developed the exact same fault which is a broken button. This one is obviously only 6 months old. I have spoken to Game and they told me they have fulfilled their obligation to me by replacing the original controller as a 'good will gesture'.
    Where do I stand with this and where should I go next?

Thanks in advance!
    As the warranty starts from the day of the original purchase then you are well out of warranty, you would need an independent report to establish if it is an inherent fault or not
  • One thing to bear in mind is that if Game were required to provide a remedy, this could be a partial refund as you have had 18 months use of a controller since the original purchase and if they went down this route, you might not get too much money back.

Are there independent repairers for this type of controller? and if so, what would they charge for a switch replacement?
  • Thanks for the replies, I have searched this issue and it does seem very common and indeed a design flaw. I had an independant report done on the original controller and it was diagnosed as premature failure due to fatigue. As this one is only 6 months or so old that would back up the design flaw evidence. If I was to reject it and ask for a partial refund how is it worked out?
    I have standard controllers that work just fine after 4 years. So if life expectancy is based on them do we divide the initial purchase by 4 and deduct the necessary amount from the initial purchase price to get the amount?

I think a repair would cost around £30 which is relatively cheap considering but if it breaks every 6 months it soon mounts up.
  • angryparcel
    As this one is only 6 months or so old that would back up the design flaw evidence. I
    No it backs up nothing as it could be heavy use of the controller. a report on the original makes not difference as this is a different item, so you would need a report on this one.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Have you registered the controllers serial number on your xbox account to see if there is a warranty on it?

Its been a while since I registered any devices but iirc they don't ask for a receipt and it runs from the date of registration (I remember being surprised as I was expecting them to ask for a receipt to ascertain when the warranty should run from). Might be worth checking if you haven't already.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/devices
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • unholyangel
    Forumite
    No it backs up nothing as it could be heavy use of the controller. a report on the original makes not difference as this is a different item, so you would need a report on this one.

tbf i'd expect an elite controller to withstand heavy game play. Its a £120 controller - normal ones are £40-50.

Not disagreeing over the report part though as misuse would still be possible, just I don't think excessive wear & tear is even a remote possibility in the circumstances.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • angryparcel
    just I don't think excessive wear & tear is even a remote possibility in the circumstances.
    Maybe, but game dont know do they
  • unholyangel
    Forumite
    Maybe, but game dont know do they

6 months use and it failing? For contract purposes OP's 1.5 years in but that replacement failed in 6 months. How long would you expect a controller to last? I'd say at least 5-6 years. Meaning its only lasted around 1/10th or 1/12th of what it should have lasted. Even if it had been played 24 hours a day (which is unlikely - even die hard gamers with no job to go to need their sleep), that would work out around 2 hours a day over its expected lifespan which is less than I would expect an "elite" £120 controller to be able endure.

As I said though, misuse is still a possibility - especially if its the exact same fault.
  • Just thought I'd update on progress, having spoken to the CAB and clarified my position i contacted Game and rejected it as not fit for purpose. A little to and froing later and I'm getting a refund. Have to say the customer services at Game this time were pretty good. Thank for the advice guys.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure