Anyone had much luck with section 75 claim with Natwest

monkeysrule
monkeysrule Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 11 June 2017 at 6:02PM in Credit cards
Has anyone had much luck with a successful section 75 claim with Natwest? Any tips and advice welcome

I have a faulty item from Victorian plumbing which was bought in feb, but despite telling the retailer straight away they have spent months fobbing me off saying they will get back to me but never do. they even told me i should take it up with the manufacturer and not them.

I got fed up so rang up Natwest who were not particularly helpful and said i could only write them a letter (its the 21st century, have they not heard of email). Anyway I did and they never replied, so i sent another letter to Natwest, to be told I have 7 days to respond to give them a document from an appraiser. This is only for Natwest to look at my issue and see if I can take it further. I hold little hope they are going to do anything.

Wish I read reviews for Victorian plumbing as they seem a bunch of money grabbers, disappearing if there is a fault with an item

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Many people have had success. But it's not at all relevant to your situation.

Why do they want an appraiser involved? To confirm the item is faulty?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's all about the proof. It's no good just saying give me my money back, S75 doesn't work like that.

For the claim to be successful you need to prove a breach of contract, you need to get an expert report from someone to confirm the item is faulty and why so you can prove the breach they would be liable for.

Without documentation they don't actually need to do anything.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can't you authorise a return at https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/return-policy and send the item back to Victorian Plumbing?
  • monkeysrule
    thanks for your reply yes they want someone to approve the item is faulty.
  • monkeysrule
    hi thanks for your reply, the difficulty i am having is who is an expert shower tray approver?

the best i came up with was to ask a plumber to write a letter

thanks
  • monkeysrule
    I tried first to return the item through victorian plumbing, but they keep saying they will look into it and get back to me but they never do! I have never dealt with a company with such poor customer service. I initially asked for a replacement which they just ignored me.

after 2 months I said i just want my money back and first they told me to ring up the manufacturer, who then told me it was for victorian plumbing to refund me. I tell VP this and they said they would look into it then nothing (twice i chased this up).

its now over 3 months on since i reported the fault and VP just keep ignoring me

i don't know what to do as its a huge shower tray (too big for a car) that i can't use
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Have you tried highlighting your issue via their social media? Most companies hate bad press:

https://twitter.com/Victorianplumb/

https://www.facebook.com/VictorianPlumbing/
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • monkeysrule
    i never thought of that candyapple great idea thanks!
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    bris wrote: »
    It's all about the proof. It's no good just saying give me my money back, S75 doesn't work like that.

For the claim to be successful you need to prove a breach of contract,

Yes.

S75 merely states that the (subject to provisos) the CC is jointly liable for a breach of contract. It doesn't lay down any particular procedure that must be followed.
    bris wrote: »
    you need to get an expert report from someone to confirm the item is faulty and why so you can prove the breach they would be liable for.

Without documentation they don't actually need to do anything.

Yep, the CCs have concocted their own procedure. Generally they say that you need to prove your case to their satisfaction by way of expert's report. Without this they'll do nothing. I'm sure at this point many cardholders simply bother - so it's an effective way of getting rid of claims without appearing unduly unfair.

If you think you have sufficient proof WITHOUT an expert's report - eg a simple photograph shows the problem, then this should be enough. If the CC doesn't accept this, then you can always take out a small claim in the county court. This might prompt the CC to make an offer. If they feel an expert's report is still necessary, then they can ask the judge to require one. Small claims judges can be very down to earth - happily accepting video clips on USB sticks, photos etc. They have a good nose for large companies creating unnecessary barriers and won't agree to an expert's report if there is sufficient evidence without one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure