IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking ticket POPLA/UK parking controls Ltd

Hi,
In March i parked in Julian's car park in Didcot and paid by MyRingo as signage instructed. On the train to London, I received a text to confirm payment (£6.65).
On return the same day I had a parking charge, stating I had 'parked without paying the parking tariff'. At this point I checked my text again and noticed one letter was incorrect on my car registration ( I had not typed this in, it appeared to have been done automatically by Myringo ( I am aware I must have used this system before but I have no idea when, and I have never had a car park ticket issued before).
I appealed online the next day as instructed, heard nothing until this week when Debt Recovery Plus sent me a letter saying my appeal had been rejected and I have to pay £160 by 13th June.
After a distressing phone call with DRP, they told me an email from POPLA had been sent to me in April and my right to second appeal has now gone (I have never seen this email), so I asked them to email this to me. The letter they forwarded only says date letter was created, shows no evidence of date sent or my email. In fact the man I spoke to at DRP seemed unsire of the reason for the rejection, first he said it was non payment (I have a bank statement as proof), then that i didnt show ticket in car (signs say you do not have to and also machines don't work!), and finally that my car reg was incorrect (is one letter enough for a ticket? why then did they take my money and have I not had a ticket elsewhere before?)

Please cam someone advise, I have my evidence, and I will try to get to citizens advice. Who do I contact? I don't know who owns the land, am I at risk of court action?

I am very anxious as feel they are morally corrupt and that I did follow instructions and they took my money.
Many thanks

Comments

• fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,017 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Stop panicking and read the newbies thread you have done nothing wrong you should not call debt collectors they are liars, they know nothing about the charge except that they have bunged a further £60 on top to scam more money out of you.

Debt Recovery Plus are powerless nasty Muppets ignore them.
    Citizens Advice are useless in these cases there is far more useful information here.

When you have read the newbies thread come back for more clarification, I suppose you outed the driver in your ill informed appeal which would be a shame.

But at the end of the day only a judge if it came to that could force you to pay these muppets.

Though if this is railway property it is not relevant land anyway, and UKPC who are low life scammers, cannot progress this anyway if the land is subject to bye-laws.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,324 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 7 June 2017 at 12:59PM
    After a distressing phone call with DRP,
    Once again we get confirmation that our advice never to phone a debt collector (or parking company) is absolutely correct.
    Please cam someone advise, I have my evidence, and I will try to get to citizens advice. Who do I contact? I don't know who owns the land, am I at risk of court action?
    Forum advice in regard to the CAB is not far adrift of our advice in regard to debt collectors. CAB are woefully out of touch with private parking issues and seem, at times, to just make it up as they go along. Almost always, if appeal routes are closed to you (which they appear to be), they will advise you to pay.

If debt collectors are involved the appeal option to POPLA has disappeared (although you could get back to UKPC and demand they offer you ADR - via POPLA - which should be available to you by law, do a Google search). So you then ignore debt collectors (see NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #4) who are powerless.

Beyond this (if you can't get a cancellation by the landowner - you can go to Land Registry, to determine who the landowner is, for £3-£4), it's a case of ignore anything short of a Letter Before Claim (from UKPC or their Solicitors - SCS) or real court papers.

If it went to court, this can be defended with some work by you and some forum advice - but you're some way off this (if it happens at all).
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You said

"UK parking controls Ltd"

do you mean

"UK parking control Ltd"

without the "s"
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    "After a distressing phone call with DRP"

DRP are simply animals and EVERYBODY must IGNORE them
  • Hattie13
    Hattie13 Posts: 6 Forumite
    beamerguy wrote: »
    You said

"UK parking controls Ltd"

do you mean

"UK parking control Ltd"

without the "s"

Yes I meant UK Parking Control Limited.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 June 2017 at 1:35PM
    If you are at the DRP stage, there isn't much more you can do except stop contacting them or DRP and sit it out to see if you get an LBCC/MCOL from UKPC.

Post Four of the Newbies Sticky and the NO MORE DRP THREADS thread covers that shower in their entirety.

So prepare yourself by reading-up on the LBCC thread here and be ready to submit a strong rebuttal and if needed, prepare a court defence but TBH, a lot will never get that far.

Citizens Advice have longsince proved themselves incompetent when dealing with private parking matters, so don't take anything there!
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Don't ring DRPlus again.

Don't bother with the CAB.

and finally that my car reg was incorrect - is one letter enough for a ticket?

From ex-clamper scum, it's normal. But this isn't a fine. Come back if they try a small claim and we'll help you win it (almost certainly... and no risk of paying huge sums).

DO NOT contact DR Plus again. STOP.

I assume by now you've Googled the matter a bit better and learnt about the tedious letters...yawn..''Zenith''...yawn...this laughable letter chain has been done to death on forums for ten years.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hattie13
    First draft letter I will email this week. Any feedback appreciated.Thanks.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Ticket number:
    Vehicle registration number:
    Reason for issue: Parking tariff not paid. Parked without payment of parking tariff.

I was issued with a parking ticket on 14/3/17 but I believe it was unlawfully issued. Following my online appeal via ukpcappeals.co.uk, I received no correspondence from Popla until I received a letter from DRP and immediately rang this company to query why I had not been informed of my appeal rejection sooner. They forwarded your letter to me via email which apparently you sent to me in April, but I never received.

I will not be paying the demand for payment for the following reasons:

• The alleged contravention did not occur
    Quite simply, the parking attendant got it wrong and the vehicle was not parked inappropriately at the time the ticket was issued. This is due to the fact that I rang Ringo as instructed by signage, and paid the correct fee which was taken from my account. Please see attached evidence: bank statement as proof of payment, text confirmation of payment, signage in car park which states no ticket is required to be displayed, as proof of my claim. I am currently requesting evidence of Landowner Authority for this car park.

• No Evidence provided
    I have only received a window PCN notification I have not received an NTK and I would also request a copy of your written agreement that gives your firm lawful authority to enter into a contract with the driver to seek recovery of this charge.

• The charge is disproportionate and not a genuine pre-estimate of loss
    The amount charged is not based upon any genuine pre-estimate of loss to the company or the landowner. In my case, the £160.00 charge being asked for far exceeds the cost to the landowner of £6.65. I therefore feel the amount you have asked for is excessive.

Yours faithfully,
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,349 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Nononono, that is the terrible one from the MSE article, includes rubbish about 'not a genuine pre-estimate of loss', an argument which died a death in 2015 (keep up, MSE) and it admits who was driving! Eeek! Awful. Why are you replying?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Hattie13
    Well I won't send it then!
    I'm currently waiting to hear who landowner is.
    In the meantime I'll try not to panic and just not do anything except read more of the forums?! Deadline for payment of £160 is this Tuesday. I'm ignoring the DR now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure