Mobile phone contract ending soon- next steps?

Newly_retired
Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
edited 3 May 2017 at 9:22AM in Over 50s MoneySaving
I am about 6 weeks away from the end of my contract, though I need to check the exact date.
I bought my first smart phone, an iPhone 5s nearly two years ago. I paid a sum upfront, and the rest of the cost of purchase is included in my monthly payment. I get unlimited calls and texts and more data than I normally use.
I am posting in this board, having looked on the mobiles board and not understood half of what they are saying, so I am hoping for some sound practical advice.
I don't see any reason to change my phone. I don't see the need for the latest technology as I probably use only a fraction of what the phone can do, and I don't want a lot of faff to set up a different phone and learn how to use it. I am not thick but nor am I all that interested in fiddling around.
I am currently with Vodafone, as is my husband, but our landline and broadband are with
I bought the phone at car phone warehouse.
I have no idea where to start. I think perhaps I may need a sim only deal or payg, but I don't know How to go about this. One hears of so many problems people have when trying to switch.
I have no immediate plans to go abroad though may do one day.
If anyone can help in practical terms I would be grateful.

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    I bought my phone cash and use a SIM only contract.

It is easy to switch, you can keep your old number if you wish. Tesco fitted the SIM and transferred my number FoC. See here http://www.tescomobile.com/about-us/sim-only-deals-how-do-they-work/

I get more calls than I need, unlimited text and internet, see here https://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-monthly/sim-only/Tesco+Mobile/simonly/tariff

If you wish to stay with Vodafone they can offer you similar SIM only deals. See here > http://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-deals/
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Your monthly statements from Vodafone will detail how many minutes / texts & data you have used. This will help identify which contract is best for you.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I use Billmonitor (https://www.billmonitor.com/) to find the best tariff.

You allow them access to your existing account and they analyse your usage, contract etc and advise you the best one for you.
  • Newly_retired
    Very useful suggestions to follow up. Thank you.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    As it happens, Martin's weekly email contains some advice on mobile phone bills. I am not sure if this link will work forever, but try it.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I bought my cheap nokia from Carphone Warehouse, and went PAYG. I won't have a phone contract. The phone stopped working, (had it a long time), so I went back. They didn't have one the same, so I went to Tesco. I bought a cheap phone from them. Turned out the phone was ok, the sim card had stopped working. Tesco gave me a refund for the new phone, which I didn't need, and I bought a new sim card. I found Tesco staff very helpful.

Ilona

I will add that I am a very low user, only text and the odd calls. I top up £10 every 2 or 3 months. No idea how much text and calls cost.
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Newly_retired
    Ilona, this is just what I used to have, a Nokia basic phone on PAYG, but I suppose influenced by my family, I upgraded to an iPhone, and we can message , use Facebook, Whatsapp etc. I like that it links with my iPad.
    So I don't want to change. I am not sure what my usage is, rarely calls, mainly texts, some internet etc.
    On my todo list for tomorrow, along with arranging my MOT.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2017 at 2:49PM
    sim only contract is the way to go

Your Iphone MAY be locked to Vodafones network , you can request an unlock code using this

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/vodafone-uk/forms/unlock-code-request/

I believe Iphones are now done over the mobile network rather than you having to connect to ITunes

having the iphone unlocked means you can use ANY network to get the cheapest deals

you can retain your number by requesting a PAC code which is valid for 30 days, you just give the PAC code to your new network
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Newly_retired
    Brilliant. Thank you so much for the explanation and link.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure