Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Ha knew it was something silly, thanks very much :D
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Good morning all.

I am currently getting quotes for a parcel to Chile. It needs to get there in reasonable time, is not an Ebay parcel.

It weighs 1.6kg, is 32cm x 18cm x 25cm.

Currently seems to be around £34 for a delivery service I have actually heard of, does anyone think I might be able to get any improvement on that please?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning all.

I am currently getting quotes for a parcel to Chile. It needs to get there in reasonable time, is not an Ebay parcel.

It weighs 1.6kg, is 32cm x 18cm x 25cm.

Currently seems to be around £34 for a delivery service I have actually heard of, does anyone think I might be able to get any improvement on that please?

It's £21.20 with Royal Mail. No extra insurance cover.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It's £21.20 with Royal Mail. No extra insurance cover.

Thank you, didn't think it would go as a small parcel :T:T
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    I want buy something on eBay but, as it is collection only, seller says we must arrange our own courier.

We are waiting for approx measurements and weight from seller but know it will be approximately 2 metres in length once packaged.

It's fibreglass so won't be too heavy but all sites I try for quotes have a max 150cm policy.

Does anyone know anywhere that will send a parcel of this length please?
    I found one but they quoted £170 plus vat!

Thank you.
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    I want buy something on eBay but, as it is collection only, seller says we must arrange our own courier.

We are waiting for approx measurements and weight from seller but know it will be approximately 2 metres in length once packaged.

It's fibreglass so won't be too heavy but all sites I try for quotes have a max 150cm policy.

Thank you.

Just a warning here, are you sure you want to trust the seller to pack this sufficiently for your courier's requirement? AS you are arranging and paying for your own courier if it doesn't meet the courier packaging guidelines (some are quite strict about the box and wrapping) and parcel is refused on collection you end up with the bill , also if it is damaged then you have to pay for it to be returned as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Clutterfree
    edited 8 May 2017 at 9:22AM
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you.

soolin wrote: »
    Just a warning here, are you sure you want to trust the seller to pack this sufficiently for your courier's requirement? AS you are arranging and paying for your own courier if it doesn't meet the courier packaging guidelines (some are quite strict about the box and wrapping) and parcel is refused on collection you end up with the bill , also if it is damaged then you have to pay for it to be returned as well.

I agree with you completely and I don't want to buy it but my husband won't listen. :o
    He is insistent because the item is a "one off" - he is correct, we won't be able to get one elsewhere and I've told him that I've yet to find a courier to send it but he still insists we bid and we'll sort the courier after. :(

Can anyone help please?!
  • ballisticbrian
    ballisticbrian Posts: 3,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try https://www.shiply.com/ Couriers / Members bid to take your item.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you.
    As others have said, there are potential pitfalls arranging for it to be delivered. Is it out of the question to pick it up? It sounds as if that might be the best solution even if it is some distance away. It also allows you to have a look before you hand your money over. You certainly don't want to be paying for sending it back as well!
  • Clutterfree
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies.
    Too far to collect as it's 3 and a half hours one way!

We won the auction for £140 less than our max bid so are happy with that.
    Had a couple of quotes from Shiply who don't require packing so fingers crossed it works out.
    Slightly concerned that they'll collect but not deliver to us but I'm a born worrier! :o
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback