Hoover cyclonic stick vacuum cleaner rechargeable stopped working

We have a Hoover cyclonic stick vacuum cleaner - rechargeable, about 2 years old. It shows a green light when it is on its base and recharging.

This afternoon this stopped working. No green light. It is connected to its base ok, socket is ok, no apparent reason. Unfortunately I have lost the manual, and do not know, does it have a battery which may need replacing?

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,556 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    littlerock wrote: »
    We have a Hoover cyclonic stick vacuum cleaner - rechargeable, about 2 years old. It shows a green light when it is on its base and recharging.

This afternoon this stopped working. No green light. It is connected to its base ok, socket is ok, no apparent reason. Unfortunately I have lost the manual, and do not know, does it have a battery which may need replacing?
    Is the Model = FD22G?

If so, look at this webpage.

If not, please give the equivalent information on your cleaner.
  • firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    Have you checked the fuse in the plug ??
  • KeithP
    Looks like Littlerock has abandoned this thread.

Probably understandable... it must be difficult managing threads when you have started nineteen threads in July alone.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 25 July 2017 at 10:58AM
    I have not abandoned it. The reason I have started a lot of threads is I was away and working most of May and June and came back to a lot of household tasks I am trying to schedule and catch up.

I cannot always respond at once as currently have problems with home network and I also have a life.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to date.

FireFox: it is a sealed plug with no apparent way to open it short of breaking it.

This is the model

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cordless-Vacuum-Cleaner-CA192PB2001-Hoover/dp/B00N1TOTWC
  • littlerock
    this is not the same model as mine although very similar. Mine has power cord fitting nto base of cleaner and a geen light on the front of the base which comes on when it is charging. or rather did, until the light went out and no longer works.
  • littlerock
    Update. We took it into our local Hoover Main dealership who we have used before and are long established and reputable. They agreed to see if they could mend it. Phoned yesterday to say that the motor has gone and it has no suction. However when they phoned Hoover to get the parts needed they were told they are out of stock and there is no date for them to come back into stock. (Our dealer sounded quite shocked.)

The Hoover was guaranteed for two years, so they are covered for the warranty however our hoover is around 2.6 years old. Looking into it further, it appears there is no consumer legislation, not at EU level anyway, saying that a manufacturer has to provide any spare parts at all, for any length of time. The Hoover was guaranteed for two years, so they are covered for the warranty. Spare parts are separate and they have no legal duty to provide any at all, outside of warranty.
  • KeithP
    edited 4 August 2017 at 6:28PM
    littlerock wrote: »
    Update. We took it into our local Hoover Main dealership who we have used before and are long established and reputable. They agreed to see if they could mend it. Phoned yesterday to say that the motor has gone and it has no suction. However when they phoned Hoover to get the parts needed they were told they are out of stock and there is no date for them to come back into stock. (Our dealer sounded quite shocked.)

The Hoover was guaranteed for two years, so they are covered for the warranty however our hoover is around 2.6 years old. Looking into it further, it appears there is no consumer legislation, not at EU level anyway, saying that a manufacturer has to provide any spare parts at all, for any length of time. The Hoover was guaranteed for two years, so they are covered for the warranty. Spare parts are separate and they have no legal duty to provide any at all, outside of warranty.
    But there is consumer legislation that says goods must last a reasonable time.

You have up to six years to seek a remedy from whoever sold the thing to you, but you may be asked to prove that the problem is due to an inherent fault. Will your friendly dealership give you a report saying that?
    Either way, it's back to the seller you go.

Have you read MSE's Consumer Rights guide yet?
  • littlerock
    I think sale of Goods Act means we have to show it was defective within 6 months of purchase, which it was not. So we fall back on the warranty but it is out of warranty, by around 6 months. So we opt for repair to find it has been discontinued and Hoover have no spares and not planning to either, and there is no EU legislation At All which covers availability of spares........
  • The most common issue in stick vacuum is caused by dirt. The particles enter through crevice tools and can damage the internal parts. Another problem is weak battery and failing recharging.
    Check its battery is need to replaced or not and check the fuse plug too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure