Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,713
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 January 2015 at 10:36AM
    EricMears wrote: »
    Er No, NOT all of us agree that comparing one factor out of a possible 4 is any use at all. An example I've given before is when two people attempt to compare miles per gallon on their respective cars without allowing for the fact that one car might be twice as heavy as the other, one may be driven exclusively in a congested town whilst other spends most time on a motorway etc etc

But this is what you always say, and it's not true. We aren't comparing one factor out of a possible 4. We are comparing overall performance.

In the same way that you can compare the miles per gallon of two or more cars, and state categorically that one is higher (or lower) than the other.

The factors you talk about are the reasons/explanation behind the result, but the result itself still stands. The car with the lower mpg (when compared to another) may well be twice the size, running full to the brim and into a headwind - but that doesn't mean that it didn't consume more fuel compared to the other. So there is nothing wrong with the conclusion that on a mpg basis it was beaten by the other car.

As I've said to you before, if I get less O's than someone else on a given day (or month, year etc) then their system has performed better than mine. It's as simple as that.

Your concern over the factors, is to find an explanation for the difference, fair enough if that's what you want to do (and I find that interesting too), but it doesn't preclude any direct comparison of the headline output in kWh/kWp (or O's for slang on MSE).

I appreciate that we'll never see eye to eye on kWh/kWp, but please, please, please stop claiming that it's 'only one factor' when it's actually the industry standard comparison, behind which all the varying factors contribute.

To put it another way consider the sum 1+2+3+4+5 = 15. 15 is not a factor, it is the sum, it's the overall result after combining all the various factors.

[Please forgive me the use of the word factor when combining it with maths, as I appreciate that this is a mathematical term, and could be confused with our use of the word in the context of these posts.]

[Edit: Hiya Eric, I just re-read this and realise that it's a bit rude and patronising which is not how I meant it to be. I do of course enjoy our discussions, and would never question your mathematical skills. All the best. M.]

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,045
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    tunnel wrote: »
    My SSW got close today with 2.73 O's. Not bad to say the snow didn't slide off the panels till around 10.30am

As for the other 2 systems.....er.....zilch on ESE again and....er....zilch on WNWsmiley-angry016.gif

....so that's a combined 0.84 O's then?:rotfl:
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • 1961Nick
    Forumite
    theboylard wrote: »
    I'm out of the running for the moment, I'll explain if/when it's sorted.

But I am not a happy bunny.
    Any news?:(
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    And a nice day forecast to close the month off.
    Mart.
    And what better day to start my last day of the month than with a fresh covering of the white stuff.........PLEASE.......when will it end???????????? smiley-sad055.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Andy_WSM
    Andy_WSM Posts: 2,217
    First Anniversary First Post Uniform Washer Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    tunnel wrote: »
    a fresh covering of the white stuff.........PLEASE.......when will it end???????????? smiley-sad055.gif

We've been very lucky down here in our little tropical microclimate :rotfl:

It rained briefly in the night, but temps are way above freezing currently. Yesterday was nearly 9C.

However...we have a thick blanket of cloud, so not going to be a good end to the month here.
  • 1961Nick
    Forumite
    Just 1kWh needed to equal last January (100kWh)..... 130w in the bag so far.

PVGIS is 108kWh so no chance of making that (unless I relocate to Driffield of course)!
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,230
    Forumite
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    As I've said to you before, if I get less O's than someone else on a given day (or month, year etc) then their system has performed better than mine. It's as simple as that.
    I appreciate that we'll never see eye to eye on kWh/kWp, but please, please, please stop claiming that it's 'only one factor' when it's actually the industry standard comparison, behind which all the varying factors contribute.

It's only the 'industry standard' for comparing the output of different panels under standard (i.e. identical) conditions. Given that sort of objective test, you can decide whether you choose to invest in Panel A or Panel B.

What use is knowing that somebody with a different system in a different part of the country has 'performed better' than you ? You can't even use the information to relocate your panels in another county since as soon as you take an existing installation down you'd lose your FIT payments. Putting old panels on a different roof wouldn't qualify for the FIT scheme and putting new panels on your new house would probably get you a lower tariff than you've been enjoying.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Oscargrouch
    Oscargrouch Posts: 4,393
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    1961Nick wrote: »
    Just 1kWh needed to equal last January (100kWh)..... 130w in the bag so far.

PVGIS is 108kWh so no chance of making that (unless I relocate to Driffield of course)!

At the moment I would be lucky if I managed 0.4 O's....Happy-groundhog-day-animation.gif.....coffee.gif
    2.5 kWp PV system, SSW facing, 45 Deg Roof. ABB Inverter, Monitor: 'Wattson'.
    Reg. for FIT Nov 2011. "It's not what you generate; it's how you use it that matters". One very clean Vauxhall Diesel Sri, £30.00 Road Tax: B)

Definition of 'O's = kWh/kWp (kWh = your daily & accurate Generation figure) (kWp = the rated output of your PV Panels).
  • 1961Nick
    Forumite
    At the moment I would be lucky if I managed 0.4 O's....Happy-groundhog-day-animation.gif.....coffee.gif

Now level with last Jan on 100kWh, just need another 400Wh to set a new benchmark.
  • Best January generation since my system was installed with 55 kWh which far exceeds the PVGIS Climate prediction of 43 kWh.

January 2015 - 55 kWh
    January 2014 - 51 kWh
    January 2013 - 32 kWh
    January 2012 - 48 kWh
    January 2011 - 34 kWh

http://pvoutput.org/aggregate.jsp?id=7259&sid=5821&v=0&t=m
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts