PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Options

Comments

• jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    I make green tomato ketchup as well as green tomato chutney. Recipes available if any of you would like to have a play?

Yes please :)

I've already got your bread and butter pickles in jars and piccalilli is one of next week's tasks :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Green Tomato Chutney makes 6 pounds ish

3 lbs of green tomatoes
    12 oz onions
    6 oz seedless raisins
    12 oz cooking apples
    2 tablespoons of salt
    12 oz white sugar
    1 and a half pints of vinegar
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

wash tomatoes and chop then small, peel and chop the onions and cook the onions just covered in water in a saucepan until they are tender, drain well. Chop the raisins, peel core and chop the apples. Place all the ingredients in a large pan, bring to the boil stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved and doesn't crunch on the pan bottom, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring once in a while until the chutney has thickened and darkened. Pour into hot clean jars, seal and store for a few weeks before using to let it mature.

Green Tomato Sauce makes 6 lbs ish

6 lbs green tomatoes
    2lb apples
    2 onions
    1lb soft brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 pint spiced malt vinegar

Wash the tomatoes and apples and chop finely. Peel and chop onions finely. Put all ingredients into a heavy pan, bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer gently, stirring once in a while for about an hour. Rub the sauce through a sieve, return to the pan and bring to the boil again, pot it into clean hot bottles and seal at once.

Have fun JLHMD666, hope you enjoy the fruits of your labours. If the whole amount is too much for you you can easily halve the recipe the cooking times will be the same, Lyn xxx.
  • jlhmd666
    jlhmd666 Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    Green Tomato Chutney makes 6 pounds ish

3 lbs of green tomatoes
    12 oz onions
    6 oz seedless raisins
    12 oz cooking apples
    2 tablespoons of salt
    12 oz white sugar
    1 and a half pints of vinegar
    1 teaspoon mustard seeds
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

wash tomatoes and chop then small, peel and chop the onions and cook the onions just covered in water in a saucepan until they are tender, drain well. Chop the raisins, peel core and chop the apples. Place all the ingredients in a large pan, bring to the boil stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved and doesn't crunch on the pan bottom, reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring once in a while until the chutney has thickened and darkened. Pour into hot clean jars, seal and store for a few weeks before using to let it mature.

Green Tomato Sauce makes 6 lbs ish

6 lbs green tomatoes
    2lb apples
    2 onions
    1lb soft brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 pint spiced malt vinegar

Wash the tomatoes and apples and chop finely. Peel and chop onions finely. Put all ingredients into a heavy pan, bring slowly to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Simmer gently, stirring once in a while for about an hour. Rub the sauce through a sieve, return to the pan and bring to the boil again, pot it into clean hot bottles and seal at once.

Have fun JLHMD666, hope you enjoy the fruits of your labours. If the whole amount is too much for you you can easily halve the recipe the cooking times will be the same, Lyn xxx.

Thanks MrsL :)

I made pickled red cabbage for the first time ever and I have the bread & butter pickles so hoping both of them will work out. I also want to try pickled beetroot and will be doing the piccalilli. My only worry is that they don't turn out especially as OH is moaning about just buying a jar already. I want to show him how much better it is to make :o:D

It's really kind of you to share your recipes :)
    2016 Grocery Challenge January: £296.20/£300 February: £262.05/£300
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Home made is ALWAYS nicer than mass produced commercial, whatever it is, one mouthfull and you'll have a complete convert and he'll be asking you to make lots more preserves, wait and see. Don't forget though that home made preserves need to be kept for a little while to let the flavours mature, most of the chutneys and things like picalilli need about a month to 6 weeks to be at thier best before you use them, Lyn xxx.
  • ArthriticOldThing
    Options
    Thanks for enquiring Candlelight. I'm just recovering from a hospital stay as needed a small procedure done - it needed sedation. I'm ok though. Otherwise have been busy clearing rubbish and trying to get organised.
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, Do without.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    AOT I am sorry you have been in hospital, take it easy and don't do too much until you have your strength back. It can take a while for the body to rid itself of anaesthetic.

Much love to you

Candlelightx
  • scottishminnie
    Options
    thanks MrsLW for the recipes - I'm feeling a bit more positive that I can use the green tomatoes if they refuse to ripen.

Hoglet - I have an old Delia book which I dug out and found the green tomato recipe - didn't think of looking there!

Sausage plait will be Friday nights meal I think - I can even use some of the windfall apples which is a real bonus.

I was a bit surprised to find it a good deal cooler in London today than normal. It was a bitterly cold 3 degrees when I left home this morning and I expected to hop off the plane into warmth however there was a definite nip in the air. On the plus side I wasn't my usual hot and bothered self when I got to the office. We have hail storms forecast for Thursday. I do hope its just a temporary blip and we will still have some late summer to come.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Good morning all,

Overcast here today and very cool, I think we have probably seen the last of our lovely summer.

We are taking DGS and DD out for a carvery this lunchtime to celebrate his AS results. He can eat for England so he will enjoy that but I have to smuggle a bottle of tomato sauce in with me because he eats that with everything :)

Have to pop out for some bread and milk this morning, but trying not to spend too much at the moment.

Flora was up and about early this morning, but is now fast asleep in her chair and will probably be there for the morning.

FTM I hope you and the girls are OK

Lyn is it today that He Who Knows comes back home? I don't suppose you will have a look in when Docky sees his Daddy :) I hope DD is much improved now, and I think you said the Zebra child is going to see her. I think he will always be called "the Zebra child" I hope DD2 doesn't mind, it is such a lovely name for a much loved child.

I don't think I have any more news today, love and hugs to everyone and I hope everyone is well

Candlelightx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 August 2014 at 10:57AM
    Options
    Hi CANDLELIGHT yes He Who Knows comes back today and yes Docky will be a very happy boy 'cos he luvs his Dadi bestest of all!!!
    DD1 is feeling much better now but I think she'll be better again after the GCSE results are out this morning, she worries so for her pupils and tries so hard to sort out any problems, I guess that's just good teaching but sometimes it costs!!! She's off to visit her sister this afternoon and going for dinner this evening with a teaching colleague who commutes to school from the city DD2 lives in so DD1 will stay the night with her sister and the Zebra child, yes DD2 loves it and yes I will always think of him as baby Zebra. Tomorrow she's off to the theatre with another teaching colleague to see one of thier current pupils in a musical where he has a fairly major part, it's a National Youth Theatre production so should be very good. They're going for a meal later as it's a matinee performance so a couple of relaxy days for her after lots of angst!!!

I've found a recipe for blackberry chutney, I knew there had to be one, in a wartime recipe book, so I'm going to make a big batch this afternoon, the freezers are groaning and the blackberries keep ripening!!! Wish me luck, Lyn xxx.

GCSE results amazingly good, lots of A*s, and all at A* to C except for 1 solitary D, she's a happy teacher!!!
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Hello all,

Lyn that is lovely she must be so pleased with her students and it shows that hard work from the students and the teachers pays off in the end.

I feel a bit tired today, I don't know why except I was so cold last night and I have a few sniffles. Since I retired I hardly ever have a cold, so hopefully this won't be much.

Have been busy this morning because we went to DD to pick her up to take her into town. She wanted her eyebrows threading and to go to the bank. Popped into M&S for a couple of bits and then took her home.

Once home I started peeling potatoes and have made a cheese, onion and potato pie with sliced beef tomatoes on top and 8 potato cakes. The pie is for tomorrow with a couple of rashers of smoked bacon and I am going to freeze the potato cakes.

I also split a pound of pork sausages and mixed it with some sage and onion stuffing. I mixed a beaten egg into the mixture and then formed little sausage meat patties dusted in flour. Those are being frozen as well.Having done an inventory of the freezer the other day I thought I hadn't much in there if I needed to do something quickly.

Cooking all that has warmed me up anyway thank goodness.

If I don't get chance again have a lovely weekend everyone and stay warm

Much love
    Candlelightx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills