Comparing property for council tax reclaim

Options
Can anyone answer this one? My house was built 1995 and is band E. A mile down the road, (in the same town) are identical houses built 2 years earlier by the same builder. They are band D. I have been told that I cannot use them as a comparison for my request to check my band. I have been given no reason why they cannot be used and when I asked why the reply was "they just cant, it's the rules":(

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,644 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A mile can make a lot of difference to house prices. In a town I know, in the 1950s, a builder built the same house type on 3 estates, perhaps 1 -2 miles from each other. 2 bed semis on 2 of the estates are Band C, on the 3rd they are B, and actual 1991 sales back all these up.

By the way, there are no "rules" regarding comparables, just sensible guidelines.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A mile can make a lot of difference to house prices.
    Indeed, especially if a mile away is a different district or even postcode.

Even identical houses in neighbouring streets can easily have differing sales valuations..
  • John_Simpson
    Options
    The distance does not matter because they are comparing my property with another similar, not exact, on the same estate as the ones that they refuse to compare.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure