Pay

Hi,

I have recently attended induction where I was shown around and had paperwork for a new job. Not a mention in the contract about induction being paid or unpaid. Can I legally expect paid for this?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Bryando wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently attended induction where I was shown around and had paperwork for a new job. Not a mention in the contract about induction being paid or unpaid. Can I legally expect paid for this?

Induction is usually paid. It has been at every job I've ever worked.

However, it's always best to ask.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,333
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you went in for an hour to complete paperwork I would guess unpaid, If it was done during a normal work shift pattern then expect pay. I wouldn't make a fuss about it unless you incurred huge expenses or something.
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    The fuss would be giving my time for nothing as the company makes millions in profit! Will wait for my probation period to expire then write to the HR folk. Every induction I have been at was paid. But this no mention was made. Never thought about it until I was asked by family.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    The fuss would be giving my time for nothing as the company makes millions in profit! Will wait for my probation period to expire then write to the HR folk. Every induction I have been at was paid. But this no mention was made. Never thought about it until I was asked by family.

well was it a pop in to fill in paperwork, provide documents, or was it a full day job shadowing?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite

You have few legal rights until you have two years employment, your probationary period is largely irrelevant. If you're going to kick up a fuss keep in mind that could see you shown the door.
  • Bryando wrote: »
    Hi,

Industry could be factor.

I think I've mostly been paid (often worst case is reduced hours hence less pay then expected clearly) except a home Carer position for 5 days induction and first 3 shifts but I'll admit even that is going back some 5 years.

I second asking.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,364
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite

So there is nothing so far to indicate that the induction time will not be paid? What's your problem? If you think you have been underpaid when you receive your first pay, that is the time to start complaining.
    If you're going into a job already assuming they are going to shaft you it's not a very good start.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You need to wind your neck in a bit or you wont be gettingaid at all, you,ll be claimind dole money
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

Did the paperwork include your contract/written particulars of your employment? What does it say about your start date - before or after induction?
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'd imagine it could partly be down to how long an induction.

I've been in to new work places before where it's been around 2 hours handing over paperwork and being shown round and introduced to other workers. I wasn't paid for this. Very informal session.

I've done a 2 week full time induction before and was paid.

My expectations personally would depend on the circumstances To a degree.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport