New Ceramic Hob - Pans!

Comments

• Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Grenage wrote: »
    While I'm possibly in danger of sounding mental....

Is there any reason you can't just sand the bottom of the pan, so that it's smooth?

Erm, that was actually what I was hinting at...but I didn't want to sound mental! The hob cleaner acts like a fine sander...I've sanded my pans at the bottom in the past! It's so much easier than cleaning them!
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Erm, that was actually what I was hinting at...but I didn't want to sound mental! The hob cleaner acts like a fine sander...I've sanded my pans at the bottom in the past! It's so much easier than cleaning them!

Yup I'm with you on this; I'd just use some 180 grit paper and get it smooth. :)
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Circulon Infinite set . I bought some a while ago set of 5 and you can add with wok or skillet etc . They can be upto £300 from John Lewis or similar but got mine from ebay for less than £120 extras about £40 each . never looked back and still brilliant . Just looked and the seller isn't selling the ones but they are about £150 on ebay and 170 on amazon
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Grenage wrote: »
    Yup I'm with you on this; I'd just use some 180 grit paper and get it smooth. :)

I think I'll take a photo of the bottom of the worst pan tonight. My concern is that they have a coating and if I sand it I will be removing this?

I love these pans and ideally do not want to buy new ones if I don't need to.
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • abby1234519
    greenface wrote: »
    Circulon Infinite set . I bought some a while ago set of 5 and you can add with wok or skillet etc . They can be upto £300 from John Lewis or similar but got mine from ebay for less than £120 extras about £40 each . never looked back and still brilliant . Just looked and the seller isn't selling the ones but they are about £150 on ebay and 170 on amazon

I've got a funny feeling they sell these at costco so I might go and look because they usually have a really good guarantee
    Money money money.

Debt

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there a manufacturer's leaflet with the hob, as they usual tell you what pans to use?

When I had a halogen hob, after a old fashioned solid ring hob, I had to buy special triple core pans, which are not magnetic, but I've now had to buy magnetic ones for the induction hob.

If I remember correctly, certain ceramic hobs cannot be used with aluminium, copper or enamel pans.
  • wrightk
    wrightk Posts: 975 Forumite
    edited 18 October 2016 at 10:55AM
    stainless steel pans work much better with ceramic hobs. always make sure the hob and pans are properly dry underneath before using, have a ceramic hob cleaner to hand like hobbrite after the hob has cooled, rub it in and leave it on until it mists and buff off with a dry cloth.

Honestly, i have no idea what people on here do to their pans and hobs but i've had a ceramic hob for many years and there is not one scratch on it,the answer is not a £300 set of pans, just some forethought and taking care of the surface
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day, and for once I'm inclined to believe Withnail is right. We are indeed drifting into the arena of the unwell.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    I think I'll take a photo of the bottom of the worst pan tonight. My concern is that they have a coating and if I sand it I will be removing this?

I love these pans and ideally do not want to buy new ones if I don't need to.

Worst case scenario - you get down to metal. That's not really a problem - it will still work just as well as a pan.
  • abby1234519
    wrightk wrote: »
    stainless steel pans work much better with ceramic hobs. always make sure the hob and pans are properly dry underneath before using, have a ceramic hob cleaner to hand like hobbrite after the hob has cooled, rub it in and leave it on until it mists and buff off with a dry cloth.

Honestly, i have no idea what people on here do to their pans and hobs but i've had a ceramic hob for many years and there is not one scratch on it,the answer is not a £300 set of pans, just some forethought and taking care of the surface

Well I don't want to pay £300 for pans, I just also don't want to ruin a new hob.

The thing is, a good set of pans is a good investment - value for money. So I would like some pans that can last me years and years. I thought my current ones would do that till the coating came off so clearly they weren't as good as I thought they'd be!
    Money money money.

Debt

• tonyh66
    tonyh66 Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    see how much a new hob will cost they are quite cheap, cheaper than £300, get a spare one and store it to give to the landlord when you move. Just use your pans on the hob and stop worrying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure