Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan PPI reclamation ?

I have read your article regarding PPI reclaiming but I am not sure if my case is the one through which we can claim a PPI refund. Both my wife and I took out a mortgage from Halifax and at the same time took a Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan. The Halifax Total Mortgage Protection Plan covered death and critical illness for both of us. At the time I had a job and I had life insurance through my pension. I would be grateful if you could help us clarify whether our case is the one.

Thanks,

Comments

• melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    You can claim for mis sale of TMPP in the same way you would claim for PPI mis sale.
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    For reclaim letter templates, you can use these on the link below, but write your own reasons.
    They have 8 weeks to respond in full.
    Follow the reclaim procedures on the link and for any further help, let us know, also remember to post all letters by recorded delivery.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Good luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The biggest difference between PPI claims and MPPI is that most MPPI plans are sold by advisers. That means they would have recorded your financial circumstances on a factfind and then made a formal recommendation. So, in these cases, unless you can show there is no financial need, the complaint would be rejected.

At the time I had a job and I had life insurance through my pension.

Doesnt matter. Death in service isnt income protection or critical illness cover and even in respects of life assurance it is not required to be included in shortfall provision for mortgage protection.

You have stated no grounds on which there could be considered a mis-sale. So, why do you think it was?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • thread necromancy i know, but this was the only relevant one i could find- and with the recent court ruling regarding ppi, does tmpp count as missold ppi if a)i was in distinct terms told i couldnt have the mortgage without it, and b) i already had comprehensive life and income insurance through my job at the time? i cancelled the policy a year or so in because i noticed that i had better cover for free already, but had up to that point been paying around £80 a month....will the halifax now contact me, as per the recent ruling, or do i have to ask them? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • dunstonh
    does tmpp count as missold ppi

Halifax TMPP was a name given to their collection of protection products. This includes life assurance, critical illness, sickness cover and MPPI.

Which elements of the TMPP did you have?
    a)i was in distinct terms told i couldnt have the mortgage without it,

If you were told you had to have it and you did then that is allowed and not a mis-sale.
    If you were told you had to have it but that was a lie, then its not allowed and is a mis-sale. However, there would be an onus on you to provide evidence of that.
    i already had comprehensive life and income insurance through my job at the time?

Employer benefits do not need to be included. Typically employer benefits are there to make up for loss of income if you die and a reduced pension that would occur. So, if you were married or had a partner, then not includng the life element of the work benefit is quite normal and acceptable.

Sickness benefits may be an issue if you had the MPPI element of the TMPP. If your work provided 6 months full, 6 months half then MPPI is largely an overlap and that could be classed as a missale. However, if you had say 3 months full, 3 months half then it is not enough to be classed as an overlap as most MPPI plans dont pay out for the early months anyway and by the time they do, you are on half pay so you need the the MPPI.
    will the halifax now contact me, as per the recent ruling

No. The ruling was only about what complaints could be ignored (or not as the case turned out).

Having protection is not considered bad. Nothing has changed on that front.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • roryroo
    roryroo Posts: 6 Forumite
    I also am chasing Halifax for TMPP we were also told that we had to have it but have later found out because my husband worked abroad and did not pay tax or NI it wouldn't have paid out we have been waiting now 7 months for a conclusion i phone them every week because at the end of the day if the roles were reversed i'm sure i would be inundated with phonecalls and letters.
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Halifax TMPP was a name given to their collection of protection products. This includes life assurance, critical illness, sickness cover and MPPI.

Which elements of the TMPP did you have?

If you were told you had to have it and you did then that is allowed and not a mis-sale.
    If you were told you had to have it but that was a lie, then its not allowed and is a mis-sale. However, there would be an onus on you to provide evidence of that.

Employer benefits do not need to be included. Typically employer benefits are there to make up for loss of income if you die and a reduced pension that would occur. So, if you were married or had a partner, then not includng the life element of the work benefit is quite normal and acceptable.

Sickness benefits may be an issue if you had the MPPI element of the TMPP. If your work provided 6 months full, 6 months half then MPPI is largely an overlap and that could be classed as a missale. However, if you had say 3 months full, 3 months half then it is not enough to be classed as an overlap as most MPPI plans dont pay out for the early months anyway and by the time they do, you are on half pay so you need the the MPPI.

No. The ruling was only about what complaints could be ignored (or not as the case turned out).

Having protection is not considered bad. Nothing has changed on that front.
  • melymoo
    melymoo Posts: 1 Newbie
    Has anyone received a payout from tmpp? i did for 2 years. during this time i paid my montly direct debit to the tmpp. when the claim was finished, the direct debits continued to come out of my bank account, i thought this was fine as i needed to claim again due to the illness continuing. However I found out to my shock and dismay that you cannot claim for a certain amount of time if you have already been awarded a payout!!!

I continued to pay my tmpp for over a year, despite being unable to use the tmpp! I then cancelled my tmpp. I want to know if I can reclaim the year and half of £46 direct debits that i was paying despite being unable to claim again!!! any experiences, help is much appreciated.

also it was a few years ago now, so i am unsure if i have a case and if i could get recompense for the money taken from me.
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    melymoo wrote: »
    I continued to pay my tmpp for over a year, despite being unable to use the tmpp! I then cancelled my tmpp. I want to know if I can reclaim the year and half of £46 direct debits that i was paying despite being unable to claim again!!!

that not a reason for mis-sale. if it paid in the first instance then you were eligible for it and it was obviously suitable for you as you have displayed that you had a need for it.

also if it were found to be mis-sold any claims payments you received would be taken off a refund of premiums, which could mean you would get little or nil
  • dunstonh
    The halifax TMPP includes life assurance, Critical illness and sickness insurance. So, the premiums being paid could well be for segments of cover.
    I want to know if I can reclaim the year and half of £46 direct debits that i was paying despite being unable to claim again!!

Cant see why you should as you are building up entitlement to claim on any other future illness.
  • marshallka
    marshallka Posts: 14,585 Forumite
    dunstonh wrote: »

You said that to me Dunstonh BUT then roonaldo says that

The PPI would pay out on top of sick pay.

When full sick pay ran out or if you were made redundant, how would you of paid the mortgage that was only in your name?
    (this was about mortgage PPI incidently).

I have no idea which is true TBH.

What is expenditure related Mortgage Protection?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure