Replacing roof felt & scaffolding?!

Options
Apparently there are massive tears in the felt in my old 1950s house and it all needs to be replaced because water is seeping through the holes and dampening the walls.

Builder has said that replacing all the felt with more modern porous material, and would be in the region of £8k, plus scaffolding costs, and a three week job.

Does this sound reasonable? I don't know anything about roofing, and during our renovations we've had wildly varied quotes from all sorts of tradesmen so I don't even know who to trust any more. Getting more quotes is really tricky because of logistical reasons I won't get into; basically we need this done ASAP.

On a related note, has anyone had any experience getting compensation for things that were missed in the survey? That is why we paid £700, to ensure they at least highlight areas for concern, which ours did not do in relation to the roof apart from the fact that there is moss on some tiles, which in itself did not cause the problem!

Comments

• Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    edited 8 March 2018 at 10:15PM
    Options
    There should not be any tears in your felt. Plus you should have no water getting to your felt. Consequently there are defects, somewhere, with your roof - these need repairing, and they are what you are really going to be paying for.

I have not seen your roof but a ball park guide would be two roofers should get your work done in a week. Say one day to strip, two/three days to re-roof and a day pointing and finishing. Add in new tiles - for example concrete are cheap at £1 each, underlay is cheap - say £100- 200, and battens are cheap.

Add in say £1500+ for scaffolding and £400+ for skips.

All in I suspect your lack of knowledge, or your inability to sort out the wheat from the chaff, means you are being taken for a considerable ride by the roofing quote.

VAT may have to be a factor - not for me to comment too much, but many individual roofers will be below the threshold, others may ask for cash. A bit risky all round with roofing so you have been warned.
  • szivarvanyftw
    Options
    Yeah, I did think it was too high. especially because I read that a lot of older houses don't even have felt at all because nothing should be getting through the tiles anyway!
    We got another roofer to have a look this morning, and he says they would only need to replace the bottom row or two of tiles and extend felt there as it currently doesn't reach the gutters properly. And fix a few other loose tiles elsewhere. Says battens are in good condition and not necessary to replace.
    All in all this feels more positive but then again I am now worried it may be because he wants the work, and knows we'd rather spend less than what the other guy told us.

It won't let me attach photos or hyperlinks because I'm a new user (when am I not new any more?) :rotfl:
    But you can try copying the below image links into your browser by removing the spaces, I have uploaded two examples.

https : // ibb. co/iB6bDS
    https : // ibb. co/ddXu07

I come from another country where building standards are very different (in a "suspended floors? what are those?" way for example) so yeah I know nothing about roofs :(
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    If you have damp on the walls are you sure it's not just a guttering problem?
    If you can get into the loft you will be able to see if the felt is torn and if there is daylight coming through where tiles have slipped or broken. You are correct that the tiles should prevent any ingress, our 1930s house has no felt on the original part and we have no leaks. Even if there is a torn portion does not mean the entire roof needs replacing and I think you are being "persauded" that it's worse than it is.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »

First photo is easy. Just lap in a piece of underlay and glue back upwards the torn flap to this. I cannot get the context of the second one - what is the horizontal timber(?) revealed by the torn felt?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure