Temporary office job whilst starting new business

I hope this is the right forum to ask this question.

I have recently started my own recruitment agency and as anyone who has started their own business knows, money is tight at the start. So for that reason, I have been looking for a temporary part-time admin job to tide me over, via another employment agency and have an interview with one of their clients next week.

My question is, am I obliged to tell the agency that I have set up my own business even though I have no interest whatsoever in 'taking' this client? I didnt say anything yet as feel it may jeopardise my chance of getting the role, however I dont feel that I can market my new business on social media too much in case this agency or the client see what I am doing?

I have signed a Terms of Engagement with this agency and the only clause I can find it in that might stop me from taking this job if offered is this:-

"You will not engage in any conduct detrimental to the interests of the Employment Business and/ or Hirer which
includes any conduct which could bring the Employment Business and/or the Hirer into disrepute and/or which results in the loss of custom or business by either the Employment Business or the Hirer"

I'd really appreciate an opinion - I am unable to go legal at this time due to funds so have come here. Thank you

Comments

• Are your own agency and the agency you hope will find you a job fishing in the same pool? I mean in direct competition, finding the same sort of people for the same types of job? If so, it sounds a little dangerous.
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• Thanks for your response. I have emailed and told the agency the truth because I would rather be honest and miss out on the part-time role than go ahead with it and be worried they'd find out (which they probably would) whilst I was working there and drag me to court before I even properly get started!

:-)
  • suicidebob
    suicidebob Posts: 771 Forumite
    edited 25 January 2015 at 11:15AM
    I don't think you should be honest. You want to work in recruitment; honesty isn't really a prerequisite for working in that area.

Just lie. The next few years of your working life are going to be built on lies and mistrust anyway!
  • Not in my company but thanks for your opinion Suicide Bob :-)
  • I am sorry to say that people who have a low opinion of recruitment agencies usually feel that way from painful personal experiences. They have first-hand knowledge of the tricks that agencies use.

However, it is probably best that you did confess, as these things have a habit of coming out. Getting experience of working for an agency may help you to learn what not to do!

Rudyard Kipling

• I am sorry to say that people who have a low opinion of recruitment agencies usually feel that way from painful personal experiences. They have first-hand knowledge of the tricks that agencies use.

However, it is probably best that you did confess, as these things have a habit of coming out. Getting experience of working for an agency may help you to learn what not to do!

Agree with Pluto, you should pick up a few tips from your experience. I temped with my recruitment co, before joining as a staff member. 10.5 years later I still use my experience to remember how temps feel at times and why they sometimes get annoyed at their rec. consultants.

Prob best that you came clean with them. You never know, they may still want you for the job and ask you to sign a warranty that you will not directly compete with this client once you are up and running and/or will not contact them for 6/12 months after the end of your assignment.

Good luck with recruitment, it's a tough business. Competitive and cut throat unless you are in a niche market.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • "Good luck with recruitment, it's a tough business. Competitive and cut throat unless you are in a niche market."

And unless you have a lot of good contacts on both sides.

Rudyard Kipling

• Thanks all. Oh I have nearly 20 years experience of working FOR agencies so I'm pretty well aware of the ups and downs of them and have definitely learnt a thing or two! Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure