PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC - how long for them to transfer mortgage funds

Hi,

We should be exchanging on our first house tomorrow and we're supposed to be completing on the 19th. Our solicitor has just been told that it will take HSBC 10 working days to ensure the funds are in her account ready to complete, pushing completion back to 21st at the earliest. Anyone know how long other banks take - our solicitor is somewhat surprised that it will take such a long time for a simple transfer of funds when absolutely everything else has been in place for weeks!

Any info gratefully received!

Comments

• Gorgeestwo
    Gorgeestwo Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We were with Abbey, the money was sent to our solicitor on weds evening and we exchanged and completed on the friday. I think we were told that some banks could take up to 5 days, 10 days seems a long time :confused:
  • cghkent
    cghkent Posts: 7 Forumite
    That's what we thought - I think our solicitor was v. surprised it would take that long too... she's hoping to lean on them a bit and tell to pull their finger out...but knowing banks I'm sure it will make no difference whatsoever
  • jill2002
    jill2002 Posts: 272 Forumite
    It really depends on how the funds are sent - there are various methods.

The payment from the Abbey was obviously sent by Telegraphic Transfer which is sent and received usually the following day. There is also a cost of (I think) £25.

Speak to HSBC to see which method of transfer they recommend to get the funds there in time.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Trollfever
    Trollfever Posts: 2,051 Forumite
    CHAPS

29/08/2007

CHAPS stands for Clearing House Automated Payments System.

It is a computer system, which allows payments to be made electronically. The payment goes from the paying bank to the receiving bank on the same day.

http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=828&a=10329
  • Thanks for the replies so far. I still can't believe in this age of bacs, chaps and telegraphic transfers that it will take HSBC ten days from our sols giving them the go ahead to the money being in her account ready to complete....grrrrr.
    Anyone else had this from HSBC?
  • cghkent wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far. I still can't believe in this age of bacs, chaps and telegraphic transfers that it will take HSBC ten days from our sols giving them the go ahead to the money being in her account ready to complete....grrrrr.
    Anyone else had this from HSBC?

Ten days is quoted to be on the safe side as the notice needed to guarantee payment. The funds are sent via CHAPS as stated above. In practice I have seen funds sent when notice is received as late as the day of completion on several occasions providing everything else was in place and it is chased by the solicitor.

I would encourage your solicitor to send through confirmation of when the funds are needed(certificate of title) as early as possible. They should then call the bank who will be able to tell them if there are likely to be any issues working to those timescales. As long as everything alse is in place I wouldn't expect completion on the 19th to be a problem.
  • If you can get through to Sheffield admin centre on the telephone - if they have everything then I have found they can very often send the funds very quickly - like the next day.

However, I'm finding I am doing more HSBC mortgages than previously because they seem to have competitive rates at the moment so perhaps they are just very busy.

One quirk HSBC has is that (unlike most lenders) of sending out mortgage offer before the valuation has been done - so you have to check that they have the valuation otherwise they certainly won't release funds
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • hoolah
    hoolah Posts: 18 Forumite
    We are with HSBC and recently exchanged on 15th Sep and completed on 24th with no problems. All seemed to go very smoothly, even though there was two different mortgages for the new property.
  • cghkent
    cghkent Posts: 7 Forumite
    Thanks everyone, it's been really useful to know that 10 days was a 'conservative' length of time! We've been hounding (in a nice way!) both HSBC and the solicitor today and we're now just waiting for final confirmation from the vendors about the completition date.... Fingers crossed for exchange late this afternoon or tomorrow!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure