The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Declaring early for tonight on 12/14 please Shaggy - aiming to reach target this week although I have a Spa day booked on Thursday and it includes a glass of Prosecco so I have to be AF until then to make it ;)
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    14/24 AFDs today
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Back on the wagon today after a very social few days. No drinking to XS though so pleased with that although not AF. This is going to be another busy week but all bonus days for me from now to the end of the month. My aim is to get my 14 day smiley.

11 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • 11/20 Please Shaggy. I've ben AWOL - A few social days. Now Back on it after 4 days in a row of drinking which hasn't done me any good at all.

A few weeks ago I got to the pub late and met some good friends who had been drinking for most of the day. I was sober and couldn't get over how much rubbish everyone was talking. A LOT of repetition and not very much sense. I told myself that I am definitely not this boring when I have drunk that much, but I must admit that it was a bit revealing.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    Another one here who has had a socialable holiday month. Don't think I'm going to make up extra numbers this month.

11/16 please shaggy.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    11/15 please - very chuffed that I managed AFD yesterday as I am away for work and would usually have a drink a glass of wine at least with dinner. I was very tempted last night but had yet another cup of tea instead. Now to try and repeat tonight!
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    A few weeks ago I got to the pub late and met some good friends who had been drinking for most of the day. I was sober and couldn't get over how much rubbish everyone was talking. A LOT of repetition and not very much sense. I told myself that I am definitely not this boring when I have drunk that much, but I must admit that it was a bit revealing.

Some people don't, but I certainly did! I bail out now at that stage of the evening.

Towards the end of my drinking days, when I'd become acutely aware of how much of an effect it was having on my life although I was still carrying on as if I didn't, quite a few things worked their way into my consciousness. One of them was the awareness that !!!!!! as I often was, having another drink was much more stupid than I'd admit to anyone out loud because the full effect of the stuff I'd already necked hadn't been fully absorbed into my bloodstream AND I KNEW IT while I was buying / drinking the next one. Nothing stopped my have more though, and I still wonder what on earth I thought I was doing. Anyone else ever experience that? I've never come across anyone who mentioned it, so I just thought I'd ask.

22/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 20/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    13/14 for today please Shaggy
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,298 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Some people don't, but I certainly did! I bail out now at that stage of the evening.

Towards the end of my drinking days, when I'd become acutely aware of how much of an effect it was having on my life although I was still carrying on as if I didn't, quite a few things worked their way into my consciousness. One of them was the awareness that !!!!!! as I often was, having another drink was much more stupid than I'd admit to anyone out loud because the full effect of the stuff I'd already necked hadn't been fully absorbed into my bloodstream AND I KNEW IT while I was buying / drinking the next one. Nothing stopped my have more though, and I still wonder what on earth I thought I was doing. Anyone else ever experience that? I've never come across anyone who mentioned it, so I just thought I'd ask.

22/31 please, Shaggy.

I've been there too, Honey Bear - it's that wonderfully liberated and reckless feeling the first couple of drinks confers - you sort of know that you are going to make yourself feel unpleasantly out of control very soon but at the time it just doesn't seem to matter, as though that was somehow irrelevant to the moment. I knew I was "descending" into a state of being submerged by alcohol but I didn't care. Also after a bit I used to lose all sense of how much I was necking anyway. Someone would give you a drink and you would drink it. And so it went on. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport